Allianz-Hurling-league 1B

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Allianz-Hurling-league 1B

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

What a day for uibhfhaili.com yesterday was.

First, Gerry Russell is cited as a reliable judge of refereeing. Later the Hoganstand selectors were lauded for their profound hurling judgement. Who are these selectors? Did anyone see them in OCP? They wouldn't have been too hard to pick out - a group of people (I wonder how many) perhaps wearing brightly coloured jackets with 'Hogan Stand selector' emblazoned on front and back, making notes on clipboards, or maybe their iPads, talking to each other in hushed tones.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

westender
Junior A
Club: n/a

Post by westender »

Lone Shark wrote:
Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Certainly Gerry Russell felt that the ref ruined the game and did not let it flow? Is it a case that the ref did little wrong in that he blew for everything that resembled a free, instead of allowing advantage.
Ah well if Gerry Russell felt it......

Sorry, I'm not trying to be facetious, but I was frustrated yesterday by Offaly's inability to tackle legally and I get doubly annoyed when people put it back on the ref. Offaly need to learn how to tackle, this habit of flicking the hurl in the general area of the sliothar is dynamite.

In terms of advantage, it's rare in hurling that a team is better off being allowed to play on rather than take a free. We all saw it yesterday - Dooley and Morris were both striking their placed balls very well and unless a clear goalscoring opportunity materialised, there was no advantage to either team in letting them play on. As for overcarrying, well I though he could have called it a lot more than he did. Just because Barry Kelly and John Sexton let lads carry the ball for ten steps with fellas wearing timber off the player doesn't mean that it's the right way to referee.

At some stage you have to turn things back on the players for the amount of stoppages - there were guys out there in Offaly jerseys yesterday, and a few Wexford lads too, who clearly have no idea how to tackle properly and then they whinge when they get whistled a lot.
"Very good points, must say agree"

westender
Junior A
Club: n/a

Post by westender »

townman wrote:i have no problem with blowing for to many steps, but jesus one time there was at least two wexford men on top of Kevin Brady and he gave a free again him.

what i though he was poor at was he never allow advantage to both sides calling back the
play when offaly or wexford players had the advantage of the play.

the one thing i have notice in games and all refs don't do it is pucking the ball out before the ref blows for it. 2 yesterday Fanning the wexford keeper done it and i remember once in the first half Dempsey pucked it to Chris McDonald before the ref blew it.

also in the Dublin game Maguire the Dublin keeper was at it, just the next game you are at
just keep an eye on it and see how many times keepers puck out the ball before the ref blows, now some refs do bring back the play if it is pucked out before his whistle but not them all.
The problem here is, players get booked or suspended for cards or sending off, why arent more refs penalised for bad refereeing.
Maybe they are,as the usual suspects are around come semi / Fianl stage of tournaments.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Emmm, touchy boy indeed!!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

any word of a team for monday, i suppose it won't be picked till late in the weekend.
Carlow have been hurling well and were very unlucky not to take something from the gaelic grounds again limerick which will show how well they are hurling.

i was there in 2005 when they beat us and it wasn't funny even doe we beat them well after in the final in portlaoise, if we are not switch on or hurling well we again will leave DR.Cullen
with out tails between our leg's.

a win and it will have us in good shape for limerick the next week in tullamore.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Carlow have being doing well in the games so far and they beleive they can beat us.
I hope Ollie have learned from the last day and stated our best half forward line.
Paul Cleary play well when he can on the last day but David King and should be give a another few games to get up to county level.
But a half back line of Brady, Cleary, Morkham, with a Full back line of McDonald, Kenny, King.
this would leave King with Morkham in front of him. Lets give the lad a chance to learn the trade at county level.
I think that Rory Hanniffy is best in midfield and i would put him back there for Carlow. Cleary hasn't play a lot of game for a while and Rory can drop back and give a hand. the other midfielder well that a hard call. Sean Ryan was good the last day.
but Brian Carroll is better with ball in hand. I would go with Ryan only because he work a bit harder. and Carroll is a great sub to come in.

Our half forward line is Egan on one of the side Parlon who was excellent aginist Wexford on the other. and centre Molloy or Bergin. and you can interchange these two player from full forward.

and that leaves No. 13 and 15. Shane Dooley at number 13. James Mulrooney has got a lot of game time in this position.
But Tom Carroll look a far better hurler so i would pick him at No 15.

Its going to be tough in Dr. Cullen Park on the 18th and i'm sure that If Kilcormac Killoughey win there be a few sore heads in the stand but lets hope there in the stand and not at home but if your still tippesy for the night before or morning don't drive. Are the supporter club putting on a bus??
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Toxicity234 wrote:Carlow have being doing well in the games so far and they beleive they can beat us.
I hope Ollie have learned from the last day and stated our best half forward line.
Paul Cleary play well when he can on the last day but David King and should be give a another few games to get up to county level.
But a half back line of Brady, Cleary, Morkham, with a Full back line of McDonald, Kenny, King.
this would leave King with Morkham in front of him. Lets give the lad a chance to learn the trade at county level.
I think that Rory Hanniffy is best in midfield and i would put him back there for Carlow. Cleary hasn't play a lot of game for a while and Rory can drop back and give a hand. the other midfielder well that a hard call. Sean Ryan was good the last day.
but Brian Carroll is better with ball in hand. I would go with Ryan only because he work a bit harder. and Carroll is a great sub to come in.

Our half forward line is Egan on one of the side Parlon who was excellent aginist Wexford on the other. and centre Molloy or Bergin. and you can interchange these two player from full forward.

and that leaves No. 13 and 15. Shane Dooley at number 13. James Mulrooney has got a lot of game time in this position.
But Tom Carroll look a far better hurler so i would pick him at No 15.

Its going to be tough in Dr. Cullen Park on the 18th and i'm sure that If Kilcormac Killoughey win there be a few sore heads in the stand but lets hope there in the stand and not at home but if your still tippesy for the night before or morning don't drive. Are the supporter club putting on a bus??
some good points, but you can forget about Carroll been dropped won't happen
Sean Ryan is at a crossroads he was poor in the game again Dublin and was taking off
a bit better again wexford, but for me as a midfielder he doesn't get enough ball in the hand.

Baker will have to have the lads up for this one as Carlow see it as a game they can win
lets hope we can go there as all ireland club winners.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Yea some good points.....Think OY will be up against it for this one. We scraped over wexford but should probably have won by more....I'd leave Cleary off for now and have him as option to come in as he will be right fully in 3-4 weeks when we need him. Id rather bring Cleary in to improve things and start King than vice versa. Its important that these young lads get game time for the development of the squad as we are fairly light at the moment.....Dermot Mooney is another that could start. I think Carroll and Brady did well the last day and deserve to start .....Sean Ryan did well when coming in and this might well happen again the next day.

Parlon Bergin and Egan all did well the last day and this should stay as it is for now. Tom Carroll has done well coming off the bench and it might stay this way too with it a toss up between him and Mulrooney for the corner forward berth. thought Kealy looked a bit off the last day when he came in, even if he scored a point. Assume Dooley will hold his spot and Derek Molloy will too even if he is probably under pressure after the last day out. Would love to see Bergin and Dooley inside if we are wind assisted or are on top as if they click we could really do well.... Molloy is a good abrasive worker generally without the scoring threat that bergin has and would do a right good job at centreforward like he did a few years ago on the wing. Dempsey needs competition too in the goal. What is the story with Eoin Kelly from Lusmagh. He was first choice goalie v Cork last year in championship, or who is the sub goalie???

Overall, id be very wary of this carlow team as they really frightened Wexford and Limerick and the good work against Wexford could be undone very quickly if we are off guard....and hope KK set the mood on sunday with a win....best of luck to them.....could be another good weekend for the faithful....
jimbob

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The transfers of both Eoin Kelly and Conor Hernon to St Gabriel's (London) were completed last week. Feckin' recession.

Conor Clancy currently occupies the number 16 jersey.
jimbob17 wrote:What is the story with Eoin Kelly from Lusmagh. He was first choice goalie v Cork last year in championship, or who is the sub goalie???

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:The transfers of both Eoin Kelly and Conor Hernon to St Gabriel's (London) were completed last week. Feckin' recession.

Conor Clancy currently occupies the number 16 jersey.
jimbob17 wrote:What is the story with Eoin Kelly from Lusmagh. He was first choice goalie v Cork last year in championship, or who is the sub goalie???
i remember Tom Connelly with them in 1985 he played most games in that summers all ireland win at right half back for offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Yea. Back in the last recession. Tom was a fine hurler, very athletic. 'Stag', they called him. Tom was a plumber who went to London during the dark 80s and settled there. Mícheál spent a few years in England too, returning home to work in Banagher Concrete in time to score 1-11 to dethrone defending champions Lusmagh in 1990.

Lusmagh too lost a few good ones during that era. Pe Troy played a few NHL matches with Offaly in the mid 80s before going to London where he settled. Mick Troy spent time across the water too and missed out on Lusmagh's 1989 title win.

St Gabriel's would have strong East Galway connections, hence the attraction that club holds for those from West and South Offaly.
townman wrote:i remember Tom Connelly with them in 1985 he played most games in that summers all ireland win at right half back for offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Yea. Back in the last recession. Tom was a fine hurler, very athletic. 'Stag', they called him. Tom was a plumber who went to London during the dark 80s and settled there. Mícheál spent a few years in England too, returning home to work in Banagher Concrete in time to score 1-11 to dethrone defending champions Lusmagh in 1990.

Lusmagh too lost a few good ones during that era. Pe Troy played a few NHL matches with Offaly in the mid 80s before going to London where he settled. Mick Troy spent time across the water too and missed out on Lusmagh's 1989 title win.

St Gabriel's would have strong East Galway connections, hence the attraction that club holds for those from West and South Offaly.
townman wrote:i remember Tom Connelly with them in 1985 he played most games in that summers all ireland win at right half back for offaly.
Micheal was a good one, one of the sound's bloke you could meet off the field had many a point with him in Sid's back in the good days.

his best display was again kilkenny in 1993 hurl some game that day with Johnny Pilkington beside him we were robbed that day with DJ'S 12 steps also would have went all the way that year and won it out.

i remember him hurling for Rynaghs again Camross in the leinster club in Birr in 93
Camross had what they called one of toughest hurles around at the time Ollie Dowling
tell you he wasn't after that game Connelly brought the religion back into him :lol:

i was just thinking about him the year we played wexford in wexford park and they took Oakley out of it, i said if Connelly was playing that day he wouldn't have played the 70 minutes the wexford man that took Oakley out of it wouldn't have seen 70 minutes either. :wink:

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Team Named:

1 James Dempsey (Kinnitty)

2 Chris McDonald (Brosna Gaels) 3 David Kenny (Belmont) captain 4 David King (Coolderry)

5 Derek Morkan (Shinrone) 6 Rory Hanniffy (Birr) 7 Kevin Brady (Coolderry)

8 Joe Bergin (Seir Kieran) 9 Brian Carroll (Coolderry)

10 Colin Egan (Belmont) 11 Cathal Parlon (Coolderry) 12 Derek Molloy (Shamrocks)

13 Shane Dooley (Tullamore) 14 James Mulrooney (Seir Kieran) 15 Sean Ryan (Birr)

Joe Bergin in midfield?? Cathal Parlon No. 11, Sean Ryan at number 15??
Its not that bad a team. i'm not sure about that midfield. I can't see bergin or carroll droping back to help the defence.
I think this team will be good enough to win but they have to play well.
I'm not sure about Mulrooney at no. 14. i think it time for him to step up to the mark .

SUBS;

16 Conor Clancy (St Rynagh’s)
17 Paul Cleary (Birr)
18 Thomas Carroll (Seir Kieran)
19 Dermot Mooney (Seir Kieran)
20 Tomas Bolger (Birr)
21 Michael Cleary (Shinrone)
22 Sean Cleary (Shinrone)
23 Pat Camon (St Rynagh’s)
24 Colm Coughlan (Kinnitty)
25 Dan Kelliher (Brosna Gaels)
26 Odhran Kealey (Kinnitty)
“Common sense is not so common.”

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Bit of a surprise with Luimneach beating the Dubs?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Offaly 1-12 Carlow 1-10

Whew!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.