All Ireland Club Hurling Championship 2012-2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Re: All Ireland Club Hurling Championship 2012-2013

Post by Toxicity234 »

Its a good interview with Slevin.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/d ... al-step/1/

Its good to see these interview done in the week before the build up to match.
It leave the 5-6 days before the match to rest up and get there minds and bodies ready.

I see Cork's John Sexton will officiate at the hurling decider between first time finalists Kilcormac-Killoughey of Offaly and Galway side St. Thomas's at 2pm. That is not good news for both teams.
“Common sense is not so common.”

The Double K
Junior B
Club: KIlcormac/Killoughey

Post by The Double K »

Big blow for K/K a week before the All-Ireland Final with Dan Currams breaking his arm in a challenge match this morning, the options up front are very limited with Trevor Fletcher and Mark Leonard the main forwards subs that have been used todate. I would hope the management dont try to change the shape of the forward line too much to try and plug the gap left at full forward by Currams absence.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

The Double K wrote:Big blow for K/K a week before the All-Ireland Final with Dan Currams breaking his arm in a challenge match this morning, the options up front are very limited with Trevor Fletcher and Mark Leonard the main forwards subs that have been used todate. I would hope the management dont try to change the shape of the forward line too much to try and plug the gap left at full forward by Currams absence.
That is massive blow for Kilcormac Killoughey, He has had a great year for them.
“Common sense is not so common.”

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

The Double K wrote:Big blow for K/K a week before the All-Ireland Final with Dan Currams breaking his arm in a challenge match this morning, the options up front are very limited with Trevor Fletcher and Mark Leonard the main forwards subs that have been used todate. I would hope the management dont try to change the shape of the forward line too much to try and plug the gap left at full forward by Currams absence.
ah fuck it anyway , huge loss to k/k . Who were k/k playing in the challenge game? Its terrible risky playing a game 6 or 7 days before the all ireland final.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

That's a huge blow for Kilcormac-Killoughey losing their stand-out player, and for the lad himself who will miss the biggest game of his hurling career.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

fuck shocking news, lets hope the rest will pull them over the line, but kk main goal scorer is gone massive lost :(

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

But the thing is it could have happened in training just as easily. Well fcuk that anyway. Looks like Trevor Fletcher will get the nod so. Not a bad replacement in my opinion kks best forward the previous 2 years .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

or what about Danny pulling a rabbit out of the hat, and playing young Dylan Murray with Gorman going full, Murray would love the open space in croker :wink:

The Double K
Junior B
Club: KIlcormac/Killoughey

Post by The Double K »

townman wrote:or what about Danny pulling a rabbit out of the hat, and playing young Dylan Murray with Gorman going full, Murray would love the open space in croker :wink:
Was thinking the same thing myself Townman, I have seen K/K playing some of their challenge games this year and unfortunately Murray was not getting much playing time, with the school finished hurling he is not getting much game time. He has pace and skill in buckets full and along with the two Gerathy's would be some threat running at goal. I think Fletcher will probably start but doesn't have the physical presence or strength that Curram's has. The biggest attribute to Curram's game through this campaign has been his ability to gain posession and take on the full back, you are right saying Gorman should go full as he will be the only target now for high balls.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Savage news :shock:
So sad for the young man who embodied the 'never say die' attitude that permeated through the whole club this year.
Must be gut wrenching for him, his family, friends and his fellow team members.
From what I'm hearing if their was one player that this group of lads would want to win a game for above all others it is Dan Currams.
He is held in such high esteem amongst the whole panel and club.
Certainly focused now!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Presumably there is a mood of gloom around Kilcormac and Killoughey this evening. The Final can still be won if the players want it. This requires a leading player to stand up next time they meet and ask the lads for one mighty effort. Preferable that it comes from a player rather than the management at this late stage. Maybe Dan himself is the man to do this. It needs to be done quickly though.

Certainly Currams is a mahoosive loss but King Kev correctly points out that this could have happened at training. Or crossing the street.

K-K have been staring down adversity all year and this is yet another challenge to be faced down. Wagon wheels don’t always run smoothly.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Bloody hell !!!!

K/K just stick in there. I will roar my head off in support.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't mean to sound a note of negativity on what should be a huge week for the club, but it has to be said.

What the f*** were they thinking?

Seriously, when you have a settled team that has got you to an All Ireland Final, who in the name of God plays a challenge match seven days before the biggest game of the club's history? More importantly, if you do want to play a challenge game, who in the name of all that's holy would do it against the KILKENNY UNDER-21 COUNTY TEAM????!!!! I'm not from the club and I'm livid at this - I genuinely can't imagine how anyone who's actually a part of the club feels. If you must play a challenge match, and I see no reason why you would, then you try to find a game against other adults, such as a Div 2A county team or something like that. I appreciate that this wouldn't be easy with a full round of games on, you might have to play tomorrow night or something instead, but either way, the idea of playing a Kilkenny under-21 team with everyone fighting for places is lunacy.
King Kev wrote:But the thing is it could have happened in training just as easily. Well fcuk that anyway. Looks like Trevor Fletcher will get the nod so. Not a bad replacement in my opinion kks best forward the previous 2 years .
Of course, accidents can happen any time. But you do what you can to minimise the risk. Are you honestly telling me that if Currams was marking one of the Healions in an internal training game, that Ger or Peter would have been just as likely to wear timber off him and break a bone?

I'll still be there next Sunday and I'll still be screaming them on, but a little bit of me will always be genuinely angry that they put themselves in a situation where this could happen. The scary thing is that the players will know this too, they'll know that their task has been made extra difficult due to stupidity within their own club, and that's a lot harder to deal with mentally than bad luck, a bad refereeing call, or a piece of brilliance from a St Thomas player leading to a goal in the first minute.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Bit harsh, Stupidity? This mgt team have shown themselves to be anything but during this campaign. Matches are a good way of keeping the mind focussed in the lead up to a final. Any of the lads could go over on an ankle or a hamstring at any stage. Its a hard thing when he it is a forward who could thrive in the open spaces of Croke Park. But as a player, you can only focus on your own job, and this will focus the lads this week in the need to get every last ounce out of themselves. KK have shown that they have the ability to adapt along the way. I certainly can't see a lynch mob out for Danny accusing him of stupidity over this. Its unfortunate and in hindsight can be avoided, but how many broken bones have KK suffered this year, and playing how many matches?

All we can do is go and support them, and that we will do! And whatever happens on the day happens. Best of luck to the lads, and to young Currams, you have played your part in this run, and best of luck with the recovery. You have a big role to play this week!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote: Any of the lads could go over on an ankle or a hamstring at any stage.
True. And if that's what happened, I'd agree with you that it was just unlucky. Neither am I saying that I've a huge problem with the idea of playing a match, though I certainly wouldn't advise it. However in a situation where your own team is settled, I'm not sure that there was a lot to gain. Either way, the choice of opponent was ridiculous by any stretch of the imagination.

Maybe I am in the minority, but based on the conversations I had about it yesterday, I doubt it. Put it another way, how many posters here, given the same scenario, would have arranged that match against the same opponents if they were in Danny Owens' shoes? Obviously the management team has done well up to this point and good people are capable of making bad decisions - but while I'm not doubting that these are good people, I can't for the life of me see how this wasn't a spectacularly bad decision.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.