under 21

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: under 21

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

This is a real concern, looking at our tactics in this game.
THere are a number of players who have been played out of position, Conor McNamee is a nice footballer, but against Meath last year was completly outplayed in the minor in midfield and finished a shambolic performance (by the team and mgt) at corner back. Eoin Carroll was really poor at wingback for minors last year v Meath. Both 1 year out of minor and are our midfield pairing. Where was the minor pairing from 3 years ago that lost a Leinster final?
Johnny Brickland and Cian Donoghue are 2 footballers who should be on the team.
Now , Brickland is hard to handle, but he is a player who must be encouraged and given a certain amount of leeway. He is a powerful competitor. O'Donoghue was in his 3rd year on the panel, and had no role to play, despite being a serious trainer, and a good backsman.
My point is that I am questioning to a degree McDonnells possible bias towards certain areas and clubs. And also his tactical awareness.

He is doing a good job in general and our players are fit, but it definitely was self preservation in looking for the senior job & u21. Given the overlap of the 2 panels, he would have had difficulty getting access to his full squad of players if Pascal had been in charge.
But, where are we now? 5 Seniors out playing all the Senior Games, and we still lose to a poor Laois team, and we put in a shambolic display v Limerick.

Again, I dont want to be too harsh, but the Clare game becomes even more important after 2 defeats like this. And the jury will be out as to where the tactical side is improving as our fitness improves.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:This is a real concern, looking at our tactics in this game.
Now , Brickland is hard to handle, but he is a player who must be encouraged and given a certain amount of leeway.
I wouldn't agree with the team as it was selected for several reasons, as I posted above. However I could not disagree more with this statement. If there are rules and standards put in place for a team, everyone has to keep them. We're not talking about a troubled sixteen year old here, we're talking about a grown man now. I don't know the first thing about him as an individual and I didn't know that he was any different from all the others in terms of "handling" but you can't make exceptions for guys who don't want to toe the line, whoever they are.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

the veteran
Junior B
Club: bracknagh

Post by the veteran »

u 21 club champ gracefield have joined ranks wit st broughans for d coming year .what do u think fair or unfair /

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

why not gracefield wouldn't have a big pick, sure look at Rhode st.micheals they pick from
3 clubs.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

I am not blaming McDonald, I know that Brickland was being pursued for the panel. I would normally say same rules apply, but we must try and get guys like him who was a stand out performer for his club in winning the Intermediate championship, in a position where we are crying out for talent for midfield.

That point aside, who were our minor midfield from the Leinster of 3 years ago, I think they struggled anyway. As far as I can recall Brickland was a sub on that team, but he has come on well, and is great prospect, who can cover ground and get scores as well as catch ball.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

I meant McDonnell! (re Brickland).

But that aside, there are some serious errors in how that team was picked, and I have a real concern about the way certain guys are getting a lot of game time in Senior without making meaningful contributions, (Alan Mcnamee being case in point, and Shane Sullivan continuing to be considered)

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

If I recall correctly, the midfield that played minor three years ago was 2 from 3 of Pat Camon Banagher, Noel Graham Cappincur and Derek Kelly Edenderry. Generally 2 were midfield and either Kelly or Graham played centre forward......

THis year only Kelly is available to play and has been doing well enough with seniors too.... To my knowledge, Graham didnt go in for 21 or senior trials while Camon i believe is concentrating on hurling this year...... Its a shame as that was a reasonably good minor team of 3 years ago with plenty of potential and got to final only to be caught on the hop from a resurgent Longford side.....
jimbob

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Thats right Jimbob, Graham is in the States, and would not commit last year before he went either.
So thats it Brickland , Niall Smith, they could make a significant difference, 1 to u21, and eventually senior, and Smith with the seniors. Think Niall Smith has gotten a job as a prison officer, and is unable to commit. Pity.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:I am not blaming McDonald, I know that Brickland was being pursued for the panel. I would normally say same rules apply, but we must try and get guys like him who was a stand out performer for his club in winning the Intermediate championship, in a position where we are crying out for talent for midfield.

That point aside, who were our minor midfield from the Leinster of 3 years ago, I think they struggled anyway. As far as I can recall Brickland was a sub on that team, but he has come on well, and is great prospect, who can cover ground and get scores as well as catch ball.
I feel somewhat baffled, much like I do when I read recent opinion polls and I see that people are choosing to blank out the previous decade. I'm trying to get my head around the logic of returning to the bad old days when footballers had to be chased to come play for Offaly, and they did so on their terms, skipping winter training, maintaining very active social calendars and generally acting like intermediate and junior club footballers rather than senior county.

Specifically, what should have been done to "try and get" Brickland? Again I say this not knowing the lad, but I have no idea what sort of concessions/encouragement could be made to one player that you wouldn't be willing to do for everyone.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

LS, I dont know the full details re Brickland, and I am certainly not going into the detail of the case for Johnny from what I know, as that his business and I have no interest in getting into what could/has been done. I suppose the point I am making on this is, yes , of course we all want to see all our players training 100% and being the best they can be. But if we have a young lad who may need a bit extra encouragement/leeway then we should endeavour to keep him involved. I am assuming that this was done.
I knew Brickland was a sub 3 yrs ago, but havin seen him a few times, and he appears to be one that has progressed the most from that group.Tis a pity more than anything that he appears to be lost to the county scene.
As i clearly stated , I dont blame McDonnell, its down to the chap himself if he wants to commit or not.
Certainly, I dont advocate going back to the last few years, where lads "appeared" to do as they liked and still remained on the panel.

Aside from him, I was trying to see gauge who else was involved 3 years ago. Pat Camon was our main man in midfield on that team, hurling is the priority, Kelly is not going to be in midfield. Eoin Carroll and Conor MC are nice footballers, and Carroll with a bit of coaching might make the grade at midfield.

For Senior, Brian Connor and Richie Dalton are the only options at the moment.
Also and just purely coincidence regarding same club (I'm not a Croghan clubman!)the backs, Cian O Donoghue was on the u21 team 2 years ago after coming out of minor, and has also progressed quite well, and is very committed. Would have liked to see him play that free role for the u21's.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Laois coasted through again to face Meath in the semi.

Longford beat the Dubs by a point!

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Laois coasted through again to face Meath in the semi.

Longford beat the Dubs by a point!
If im right i think Kildare beat Meath last night handy enough so Laois will play Kildare. With the Dubs out of the way its a pity Offaly were not still in with a shout , after beating Meath and Kildare last year we would not have feared what is left. Great win for Longford up in Parnell Park and all, after beaten the All Ireland champs they must be favourites for Leinster now

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Stand corrected, Kildare did indeed meet Meath well.

Super win for Longford alright, great work going on in that little county.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kildare 3-22 laois 0-7 :shock:

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

No need to look so bewildered Townman, that is a very strong Kildare team who will go close to winning the All Ireland I would predict. We should not have lost to Laois, but we did. We would have suffered a bad beating too.
Also they have a nice few of the team from last year who narrowly lost to us in Gracefield.
Face Longford in the final, who nearly blew an 11 point lead last night!!