2005 Offaly GAA Awards

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
doobane man
County player

2005 Offaly GAA Awards

Post by doobane man »

Did they get it right?
Those with the sharp nibs have spoken, but do you agree?
Senior Footballer of the Year 2005; Alan McNamee
Intermediate Footballer of the Year 2005; Gary Mahon
Junior Footballer of the Year 2005; Sean Ryan
U21 Footballer of the Year 2005; Shane Sullivan
Minor Footballer of the Year 2005; Ken Casey
Football Referee of the Year 2005; Con Costello
Football Hall of Fame 2005; Eugene Mulligan
Senior Hurler of the Year 2005; Paul Molloy
Intermediate Hurler of the Year 2005; David Dooley
Junior Hurler of the Year 2005; Micheál Spain
U21 Hurler of the Year 2005; Diarmuid Horan
Minor Hurler of the Year 2005; Ciarán Flannery
Hurling Referee of the Year 2005; Tony Carroll
Hurling Hall of Fame 2005; Damien Martin

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

By the way the awards are being presented, along with the Div 2 National Hurling League medals, on Friday 13th January in the Bridge House. Tickets are €35 and can be had from your local club secretary.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Sadly the internet vote was not sought, but I wouldn't have differed too much. Only saw a few junior football games, but might have picked Stephen Brown from the games I saw, or perhaps Mick Devine. U21 being Shane Sull, certainly no quibble, though that is a dodgy minor call. Based on the games I saw Eoin Marsden from Tullamore was fantastic, and well worth the award.

I wouldn't have seen enough of the hurling other than in the senior and minor championship, but I would have gone for either James Rigney or Paul Cleary for the senior award, and certainly give the minor to Flannery.

seamroga
Senior

Post by seamroga »

In my opinion, the football awards are spot on.
I think Alan McNamee had to be chosen for the senior award, primarily because Niall didn't do enough against Laois. Alan, if you remember, was one of the team's top players that day and also got the man of the match award in the county final.
Regarding the junior award, it's appropriate that someone whose first love is football was selected. I'm sure Sean Ryan will really appreciate the award. His father has done a lot to promote football in Birr of late, which isn't the easiest task in the world, but the family will have good reasons to remember 2005.
As far as I'm concerned, the minor award had to go to a member of the county team. After all, they did reach the All-Ireland semi-final. Ken Casey is a good choice. Eoin Marsden, as someone mentioned, could have got the nod but I'm disappointed he apparantly hasn't accepted an invitation to join this year's Offaly minor panel. Of course, he is underage again in 2007 but the experience would surely stand to him.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I would have said that Casey struggled in the minor championship this year, certainly in the knockout section - I'll be honest and admit I didn't see any of the round robin games in the strong group.

If I was to pick one of the lads from the county team, then I'd have said someone like Connor or Grehan was more consistent - Casey did have a few poor games after all, albeit having played a blinder against Meath.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

Senior Footballer of the Year 2005; Alan McNamee
Great Call!! Richly Deserved!!! If there was an award for "Most Improved Player" he'd have won that too.

Intermediate Footballer of the Year 2005; Gary Mahon
I didn't see much intermediate football but Gary Mahon impressed when I saw St. Rynaghs in the downpour against Walsh Island. Playing for Offaly Seniors now so good luck to him.

Junior Footballer of the Year 2005; Sean Ryan
Great for a wholehearted player who loves his football. I agree that his dad deserves recognition as well for his efforts on the line!!

U21 Footballer of the Year 2005; Shane Sullivan
Couldn't quibble with this!! Shane Sullivan has been putting perfect driven ball into the forwards in this grade.

Minor Footballer of the Year 2005; Ken Casey
I'd have picked one of the others on the county team. I thought Ken Casey really only had one game in the knockouts where he played to his undoubted potential.

Football Referee of the Year 2005; Con Costello

Football Hall of Fame 2005; Eugene Mulligan
I'm old enough to remember Eugene Mulligan playing for Offaly in 1971 and he was a force of nature. Undisputed right wing back on the first All Star team. What a player. Brian Whelehan isn't the only all-time great who wore an Offaly No. 5 jersey.

Senior Hurler of the Year 2005; Paul Molloy
I think everybody likes to see Paul Molloy get recognised - he's one of the Birr players who plays steadily all the time and he's had a good year.

Intermediate Hurler of the Year 2005; David Dooley

Junior Hurler of the Year 2005; Micheál Spain

U21 Hurler of the Year 2005; Diarmuid Horan
Diarmuid Horan must have been in contention for a number of the underage awards.

Minor Hurler of the Year 2005; Ciarán Flannery
A wholehearted player. Like Horan he showed up well in both codes and a
number of grades.

Hurling Referee of the Year 2005; Tony Carroll

Hurling Hall of Fame 2005; Damien Martin
Damien Martin was regarded as All Star class when Offaly were rated lower than Laois are now. Still there in the 80's.

[/b]