Hurling Managers and predictions

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Hurling Managers and predictions

Post by puzzled »

K/K Danny Owens,St.Rynaghs ?,Coolderry Ken Hogan,Birr not sure about this one but I hear Paddy Kirwan is the front runner,Shinrone Daithi Regan,Seir Kieran Micheal Ryan,Kinnitty Peadar Robinson,Belmont Nicky Claffey?,Drumcullen ?Lusmagh Brendan Kelly,Brosna Gaels? Tullamore?
Coolderry will be back stronger and hungrier than ever this year along with Birr and K/K the winner will come from those three along with Seir Kieran or Shinrone to make up the semi-finalists,harsh on St.Rynaghs ye might think but for me they got damn lucky last year,Shinrone have too many guys that like their social life as much as they like Hurling and if Daithi Regan can solve that(big if) then they have a chance!
At the other end I think Kinnitty could be in big trouble this year,word is that James Rigney is transferring to a club in Dublin and if this is true then they could go down,Belmont and Brosna Gaels wont have any fear of the drop but Drumcullen Lusmagh and Tullamore will all be fighting for their survival along with Kinnitty come the relegation semis and final!
County Champions Birr
Relegated Kinnitty

townman
All Star

Re: Hurling Managers and predictions

Post by townman »

hope your right on who wins it, but as it pains me i can't see Birr winning it for a while yet
Birr haven't a forward line for the last 4 years or more and that whats has stopped us winning
the championship the last few years.

we still have a backbone of a good side with Cleary,Hanniffy, Sean Ryan, Barry Harding,Dylan Hayden, but our best hurlers are either midfielders or back's.

i also think Coolderry will come back with a sting in their tails, still a top side and will take beating. lets hope k/k start the championship as all ireland club winners and they have the monkey off their backs now after winning their first. which could be many have some lovely
underage teams and are minor champs the last two years.

so i think it will be between Coolderry and k/k maybe Rynaghs and Birr as darkhorses
Shinrone are just 1 or 3 players away from getting there a bit like Rynaghs who if were to get back to a final well you never know.

as for who goes down i think Shane Dooley will keep tullamore up as he is the best forward in the county and will keep them up, you are looking at Lusmagh,Drumcullen,for
relegation fight maybe Kinnitty to if Rigney is gone.

jamserdolan
Junior C
Club: ferbane/doon

Post by jamserdolan »

banagher for relegation :wink:

brosnagaels
Junior C
Club: Brosna Gaels

Post by brosnagaels »

puzzled wrote:K/K Danny Owens,St.Rynaghs ?,Coolderry Ken Hogan,Birr not sure about this one but I hear Paddy Kirwan is the front runner,Shinrone Daithi Regan,Seir Kieran Micheal Ryan,Kinnitty Peadar Robinson,Belmont Nicky Claffey?,Drumcullen ?Lusmagh Brendan Kelly,Brosna Gaels? Tullamore?
FYI Brosna Gaels manager is Ciaran McDonald

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

x
Last edited by boomcha on Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

K/K Danny Owens
St.Rynaghs?
Birr?
Kinnitty Peadar Robinson
Coolderry Ken Hogan
Tullamore Ray Gavin
Seir Kieran Micheal Ryan
Drumcullen?
Lusmagh Brendan Kelly
Shinrone Daithi Regan
Brosna Gaels Ciaran Mcdonald
Belmont Nicky Claffey
Anyone fill in the gaps lads?

middleman
Junior B

Post by middleman »

Upto last week birr and rynaghs had no managers, rynaghs had somebody elected but he cudnt make the commitment. Nobody seems to want the job in birr

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

middleman wrote:Upto last week birr and rynaghs had no managers, rynaghs had somebody elected but he cudnt make the commitment. Nobody seems to want the job in birr
Pa Joe :wink:

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

middleman wrote:Upto last week birr and rynaghs had no managers, rynaghs had somebody elected but he cudnt make the commitment. Nobody seems to want the job in birr
Who had Rynaghs appointed?

From what I can gather the Birr job has plenty of candidates and their AGM is fixed for early February.
Townman what would you think of Paddy Kirwan getting the job? You seemed very negative towards him when he was in charge of Drumcullen!
Drumcullen have John O'Sullivan appointed for this year,former Laois hurler managed Clough/Ballacolla last year!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Paddy could get it alright, but he was like a dog after a bone for the Birr job for year's
i don't have anything again Paddy, but i am not a fan of the way his trains or his style on
the sidelines.

middleman
Junior B

Post by middleman »

I heard it was the guy who managed loughrea last year who rynaghs had appointed, not sure of his name.

prideinthegeansai
Junior C
Club: Lusmagh

Post by prideinthegeansai »

Lusmagh are going to be hit very hard with emigration this year so its going to be a mammoth challenge for them to stay up.They have been struggling for numbers the past 5 years and this year will be their worst yet..After already losing two of their key players already that were on the starting 15 in the county final. It's a shame that young players have no other choice but to emigrate but no-one can blame them.

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

All clubs will struggle with emigration in the next few years and there is no doubt that it will hit the country clubs harder because they simply have not got the players to come in to hurl at senior level if their better players leave. A lot of clubs will be hit hard in the summer again this year when the students will head stateside to hurl just like a lot of them did last year and who can blame any of them!

The word with the Birr job is that Johnny Pilkington has thrown his name into the ring and that it will go down to a vote at their AGM between him and Paddy Kirwan,will be interesting to see which former Birr player wins the vote!

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Not a hurling expert, (and limited on the football front too...) but this to me would be a worry that the Birr job is being fought out between PK & JP.
JP has not gotten great press for his efforts as a coach so far and PK would be very old school, and hardly the way forward for Birr to progress?

What are yer thoughts?

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Will be interesting to see how the battle for the managers role pans out in Birr. I am suprised Donie Franks didnt get the best out of them. He is highly regarded as far as I know.