Cheating?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Cheating?

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Just something to throw out there lads. With all the pontificating in the papers and the like over Suarez and the handball over the weekend, what are yer thoughts on it?
Now leave aside any bias whether you gravitate towards Liverpool, Man Utd or any of the rest of it, and honest opinions.

Personally, I always felt great when you got away with something, a bag of apples from an orchard that you would never eat! to a push or pull on a jersey. A blatant square ball that wasnt given, a wide thta was waved over. All these things happened in the GAA, and we would laugh about it in the pub after.
The non neutral umpires were a different thing, if they made a bad call , then woe betide them!!

My point is that when you are playing sport, no matter what level, you are always looking for an edge, (to me, deliberately injuring an opponent was a no no and used to hate to hear lads laughing about it afterwards, that is "the work of a cheat" in my eyes, plus getting lads booked by diving).. But when you are caught up in the heat of a game, if you pick a ball off the ground, nudge in the back, score a square ball goal, pull down a forward to prevent a goal,.....and get away with it, it aint your fault, its the ref, umpires, linesmen, whatever. I cant think of any man who ever pulled up and said sorry ref, took 7 steps there.

I think papers and the like take the ordinary punters for mugs, sure, sad to see a non league team the victim of a harsh call, dont think Suarez milked the moment, the way he kicked the ball into the net, he fully expected it to be called back.
Sport aint perfect and thats where trying to get the edge is subjective to many people, especially those who never played to any degree.

Assume Alex Ferguson will be using it to try and wind up the referee against the "cheat" for match at the weekend, and so the merry go round of hype goes on and on.....

To me, solving the whole thing would be a TMO like the rugby to call on at the refs discretion, but my main point is that shit happens in sport and sometimes you have to suck it up.
For me, one of the sickest feelings of being cheated was 99 hurling semi final v Cork, and the feeling that tricky Dicky had twisted the knife and cost us that day...and also 2004 in Kilkenny in the replay v Kildare, Clocker got the line after Martin Lynch took a dive to earn him a second yellow. Jayz we were flying at that stage, and lost the game after extra time.

DAF
All Star

Re: Cheating?

Post by DAF »

I remeber being told in one of my first ever u-10 training sessions about Jody Gunning's perfromance in the 1975 county final.Basically we were told when the Daingean corner back went near him he hit the deck and ended up wining a load of frees.This was used as an example to us of what a good corner forward should do however you read the papers these days and there seems to be some sort of issue with clever corner forwards winning frees, I always considered it what a clever corner forward should do and I suspect lot of others would agree with me.These days there is far too much space dedicated to sport in newspapers and the have to fill it with something so you get countless sh1te space filling articles whionging about stuff like the suarez incident, he played to the whistle as any player should.Should Seamus Darby have stopped after he nudged Tommy Doyle and told the ref it might have been a free out

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

For me I always drew the line at trying to get the player injured or sent off. A little nudge on the back, a little dig in the gut all that kinda thing fine, it's a mans game. Rolling around on the ground when you're not really hurt, going to do a lad or going after a specific body part you knew was injured, I would call you a cheat and a pnssy if you did something like that.
The night is darkest before the dawn

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Time to come clean, sorry ballycumber national school for robbing you of an under 12 schools final in 1992, yes the ball was a good foot and a half over the line before I pulled it back out...again!! When the final whistle blew and we'd won by 2 points...well that just made my "save" even more special!!

I can't tell u the relief I feel right now for getting that off my chest. I've been carrying that "guilty" around for far too long!!
The Untouchable

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

I have to admit to earning plenty of frees, grabbing the tacklers wrist, going down & pulling him down on top !!!!

Now it was mostly as goalkeeper getting handy frees out when cornered but also the odd one when playing up front.

Remember getting 2 in a couple of minutes on the opposition 14 in a champ game & so 2 handy points. After the corner backs reaction to the second decided that was enough if I was to live any longer !!!!!! And I remember who that corner back was even 40+ years later !!!!!

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Curse a God on it! Pick up the Sat Indo for a dose of Rachel Wyse, and here she is goin on about Suarez cheatin :( Come on Rachel, leave the lazy journalism to Breheny!!!

Daleamar
County player

Post by Daleamar »

Its not cheating to take all the advantages you can.... ask Kilkenny. This "playing on the edge" is cheating in that case.

jamserdolan
Junior C
Club: ferbane/doon

Post by jamserdolan »

doon were cheating in the intermediate championship , they had illegal substances pumped into their calf's and arms , ****** **** per say , dont tell any1 please

TheBoyWonder
Junior C
Club: None

Post by TheBoyWonder »

Would 'goals' through the side netting fall into the 'cheating' category?