Daingean GAA 50th Anniversary 1962 Team

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lean Times
County player

Daingean GAA 50th Anniversary 1962 Team

Post by Lean Times »

There will be a Celebration Night to honour the 50th Anniversary of Daingean's Senior County Championship Win in 1962 which takes place in Castlebarna Golf Club at 9pm tonight, Saturday the 29th December 2012.

The Minor team of 1962 will also receive a presentation.
There will also be mass on the night for all past, present and deceased players.

A great night in prospect and one of the great highlights for over the Christmas period. Hope to see plenty of familiar faces from near and far. Everyone Welcome

Finger Food on the night and music by David McEvoy.

No Admission Charge.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Re: Daingean GAA 50th Anniversary 1962 Team

Post by ryot »

Lean Times

Have u a list of the 2 Teams/Panels

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Best wishes to all in Daingean. Thery beat Killeigh in that final, and won another title in 1965, by defeating Killeigh.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ryot,

The Daingean Dynamo, the tribute book to Tommy Greene, doesn't give the lineout to either county title win (neither does the Daingean GAA site), but the book does publish the 1962 team photo, with names. The names (in order of the photo) are as follows - Johnny Brennan, Joe McCann, Peter Greene, Jimmy Smyth, Willie Greene, Andy Carey, Tommy Greene (capt.), Jimmy Kilmurray, Liam Boland, Michael Brennan, Jody Hickey, Joe Quinn, Ned Smyth, Tony Quinn, Tommy Reilly, Peter Carey, JJ McIntyre, Mick Ashe, Noel Hickey, Peter McCormack, Joe Hanlon.
ryot wrote:Lean Times

Now a question - with Daingean being reigning county champions going into 1963 and 1966, which Daingean men captained Offaly in those years? The player records in this site list Liam Boland as the only Daingean man on the 1963 Offaly team, while Ollie Kilmurray is the only Daingean man on the 1966 team.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Ryot,

The Daingean Dynamo, the tribute book to Tommy Greene, doesn't give the lineout to either county title win (neither does the Daingean GAA site), but the book does publish the 1962 team photo, with names. The names (in order of the photo) are as follows - Johnny Brennan, Joe McCann, Peter Greene, Jimmy Smyth, Willie Greene, Andy Carey, Tommy Greene (capt.), Jimmy Kilmurray, Liam Boland, Michael Brennan, Jody Hickey, Joe Quinn, Ned Smyth, Tony Quinn, Tommy Reilly, Peter Carey, JJ McIntyre, Mick Ashe, Noel Hickey, Peter McCormack, Joe Hanlon.
ryot wrote:Lean Times

Now a question - with Daingean being reigning county champions going into 1963 and 1966, which Daingean men captained Offaly in those years? The player records in this site list Liam Boland as the only Daingean man on the 1963 Offaly team, while Ollie Kilmurray is the only Daingean man on the 1966 team.
I do have a book on the history of GAA in Daingean Parish and will look into this later tonight. I am not sure of who captained the Offaly team in the subsequent years either. Liam Boland was the only Cappincur man on the 1962 team as under the parish rule platers could play with their own club and also Daingean for the senior grade.

Just a note on the night itself, it was a very nice affair with Jack O'Se presenting the players.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Just some pointless information on the 1962 team,and subject to confirmation!.
Mick Ashe was a Kerryman stationed as a Garda in Daingean, he is currently living in Birr, probably retired, and now into golf. I think he may have played for Offaly, perhaps some Daingean Gael will confirm or deny this.
Joe Mc Cann was of the McCann family, brother of Noel and Pascall?.
Joe Quinn RIP, father of Ray Quinn, His Centra shop is at the top of the town.

Can we hope to see Daingean back in Senior ranks again?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I had heard that about Mick Ashe alright, SD. (Happy New Year, by the way). I understand he played for Offaly against Kerry in the 1959 NFL semi-final. Apparently Kerry called him 'home' after that? Ryot might have a recollection of this.

On checking the 'footballer look-up' section of this site I note he played championship for Offaly in 1956, '57 and '58.

Now I see the footballer records section of Kerry's 'Terrace Talk' site note that 'Mickey' Ashe played a single championship match for Kerry, that at right half-back in 1959 against Tipperary. He was replaced by Seán Murphy from the Camp club (there's one for High School Musical to investigate!) for the remainder of what was an All-Ireland winning campaign.
http://www.terracetalk.com/kerry-footba ... -Tipperary

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Yea, Mick Ashe played for Offaly for a few years including that League Semi Final v Kerry (Palm Sunday 59) and Kerry recruited him but only used him while Sean Murphy was injured. He continued to play with Daingean but never regained his Offaly place.

He played many a great game for Offaly and for Daingean who had a fine team.

Liam Boland, either in goals or as a forward, Noel McCann, Jimmy Kill & Jody are players I had a great regard for but Tommy G was the "STAR", a fantastic player. He was all skill, speed & intellegence.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

[/quote]
Now a question - with Daingean being reigning county champions going into 1963 and 1966, which Daingean men captained Offaly in those years? The player records in this site list Liam Boland as the only Daingean man on the 1963 Offaly team, while Ollie Kilmurray is the only Daingean man on the 1966 team.[/quote]

To the best of my knowledge, Jimmy Kilmurray was the captain in '65, but i am open to correction on that one

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Tommy Greene was captain in 62 and he was on the Offaly team in 63, Jimmy Kilmurray was captain in 65

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Yea. Just to clarify, my query related to the captaincy of the Offaly team the following year. As County champions, Daingean would have had the right to nominate the captain at that time.

Recent Offaly SFC Final programmes state Tommy Greene and Jimmy Kilmurray were the Daingeam captains in 1962 and 1965 respectively.
High School Musical wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, Jimmy Kilmurray was the captain in '65, but i am open to correction on that one

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

As far as I know, Tommy Greene keft after the Longford game in 63. Some carry on from the captain methinks?