cathal daly retires/coughlan dropped from panel, from hstand

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
turk
All Star

cathal daly retires/coughlan dropped from panel, from hstand

Post by turk »

Daly retires as Coughlan is dropped by Offaly

Cathal Daly
Friday, December 09, 2005

Offaly football is reeling from the news that former All-Star corner back Cathal Daly has announced his retirement and young attacker James Coughlan has been axed from the panel for playing soccer.

Daly’s decision to retire has shocked Offaly supporters and with full back Conor Evans currently in Australia, manager Kevin Kilmurray faces a difficult task to find suitable replacements ahead of the new season. Daly was a key member of the Offaly team which won the Leinster championship in 1997 and also featured prominently the following year when the Faithful County captured their first National League title.

Experienced stalwarts such as Jimmy Grennan, John Kenny and Roy Malone have also opted out, which means there will be a new look to the Offaly panel in 2006.

Meanwhile, James Coughlan has been disciplined by the team management amid allegations that he played a soccer match for Westmeath club Ballinahown a few weekends ago at the same time as his Offaly team-mates were training in Tullamore. Manager Kevin Kilmurray confirmed that the Doon clubman had been dropped for disciplinary reasons, but added that he could return in the near future.

“I would never close the door on any Offaly footballer, unless he abused the green, white and gold jersey to such an extent that it was beyond reproach. There has to be discipline in a panel. You have to have rules and regulations and I do demand commitment and integrity in the jersey.

Despite the controversy, Kilmurray still spoke highly of Coughlan. “James Coughlan is a young man with a wonderful Offaly future. He is a wonderful footballer,” he said.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

In fairness a whole lot about nothing- well especially the Coughlan affair.
Must be very little else happening if this is all they can find to write about.

As for Cathal, The panel are back training a while now and Cathal already said he was not returning - its hardly sensational all of a sudden.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

i flagged the Coughlan thing a couple of weeks ago.Judging by the kilmurray quote he will be brought back in at some stage.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

It does strike me as an exercise in proving authority by Kilmurray all right.