Rhode's coming of age

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Rhode's coming of age

Post by Lone Shark »

The crowds that spilled into O’Moore Park last Sunday expected to see a game of football – little did they realise that they were also going to witness a Graduation of sorts. This was not just a great display from the footballers of Rhode, this was a coming of age of the most talented group of footballers in the county, and a huge step on the road to earning the esteem and respect in Leinster that they already possess within Offaly. Indeed this game has the potential to be such an important milestone for the club, if anyone out there has a recording of the game, it deserves to be kept alongside wedding videos and first communions, because this team did some serious growing up during that fantastic second half, and as a result will be considered a live threat for this Leinster title from now on.

Rhode have infuriated their fans regularly in recent years, showcasing their incredible potential in games such as the 2004 county final against Gracefield or this year’s semi final against Tullamore, all the while imploding spectacularly when they finally come up against teams with similar depths of ability or who can draw them into a tough fight, such as last year against Portlaoise, the 2003 county final against Clara, or all those crucial losses against fierce rivals Edenderry around the turn of the millennium. Sunday’s clash with Kilmacud Crokes threatened to be another one of those games as the whistle sounded for half time, but in the space of thirty minutes, Rhode supporters went from staring down the barrel of another such traumatic experience to applauding their team off the pitch after they dug deep and really saved a game that they were not entitled to.

Of all the games Rhode have played so far this year, this will have been both the first time they had to battle through adversity, and the first time they will have faced a forward line with so many attacking weapons. It was by no means an unqualified success, and Mark Vaughan in particular gave Mark Cassidy a torrid time, scoring 1-3 from play, although it must be said that this was much more a reflection of the Dubliner’s talent than any indictment of the play of Cassidy. However this backline has been increasingly impressive in recent weeks, as evidenced by concessions of 1-3 and 0-6 against Rathnew and Stradbally respectively, and they emerged with their burgeoning reputation much more buffed than tarnished, and Shane Sullivan and Brian Darby in particular can take great credit for leading the fight from the back. Eoin Byrne’s star also continues on the ascendant, and he is fast becoming a front runner to feature in next year’s county under 21 team.

Looking forward to next weekend’s game, Rhode should have more room for improvement, and will be greatly encouraged by the fine performances of Mark Cole and Paschal Kelleghan once they switched roles, Padraig Sullivan’s drive and aggression once he came off the bench, and the fact that Niall McNamee will surely find much more possession next week and as a result should be able to contribute a lot more like his usual scoring tally. Ciaran Kelleher is a very tenacious and tight marker, but Niall came into the game a lot more once his team mates and management realised that unusually for the Rhode teenager he was physically matched by Kelleher. In the second half he was given much more low ball and this yielded much more than pumping in the sort of high deliveries that were so successful so far this year, when his markers were generally nearer 5’8 than the 6’0 Kelleher stands at. In contrast to this, Kilmacud will be looking towards Mark Davoren at full forward to up his contribution next week – his height and power caused Rhode problems, but he failed to register any scores, putting two scoreable chances wide. Johnny Magee should also be fit to return and the stability he brings to the Kilmacud midfield will be a serious asset to the south Dubliners.

Ultimately though, this weekend’s replay will be decided by whether or not Rhode have actually found a new plateau, or if this was just another peak from a hugely inconsistent team that could just as easily be followed by a ten point defeat as they revert to type. With the increased self belief that they should garner from this comeback, there would be no excuse for this however. They will take the field the next day knowing that when they stepped on the gas and really put their best foot forward, this hugely hyped Kilmacud side had no answer for their hunger and aggression and were far and away the luckier team to escape Portlaoise with their Leinster hopes intact, even if Rhode’s equaliser was deep into injury time.

On that note, a final word of admiration must go to Roy Malone who hit that equalising score. In recent years Roy has worn his heart on his sleeve for both club and county and for both teams he has contributed hugely in terms of work rate and commitment. He would never claim to be one of the more prolific players on a Rhode team laden with plenty of attacking talent, but the way he took on the responsibility of what was always going to be his teams last chance was a fine reflection of the character of the man, and hopefully he’ll get the chance to contribute just as heavily in the replay next week.

Ron
All Star

Rhode

Post by Ron »

What a comeback by Rhode, a great game to have attended.

I read the match report in today's Irish Times and it was disappointing to see that Rhode were not given the credit that they deserved. He claimed that K Crokes dominated the whole 1st half when in fact, Rhode dominated the first 10 mins of it, but failing to show that on the scoreboard.

The backs did fairly well to hold what is a very strong Crokes forward division, particularly in the 2nd half, plenty of room for improvement wth regard to the quality of ball into the Rhode forwards who were forced to live off fortunate breaks from high balls.

I hope they can finish the job next weekend, I also hope that this represents a new found confidence in Offaly football that will carry through to the Co. team.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

i listened to this on the wireless and it was very enjoyable.
the newstalk commentary was slightly biased towards the dublin side, but it was gripping stuff.

well done rhode and now go finish the job, please

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I was listening to the match on the transistor myself...on Midlands Radio 3.
So I was delighted to hear Rye Malone had popped over the equaliser.

Great comeback by Rhode.
It's good to see them finally get a result against a side that would be better than them on paper.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

As an ex Gracefield man, in the company of two friends from Ferbane and Tullamore, we shouted ourselves hoarse for Rhode yesterday. What a magnificent second half performance that had us on a high leaving O'Moore Park.
Three points of praise to make. 1. Well done Stephen Darby for not panicking at half time when many others would have. 2. Brilliant Alan McNamee block at the death to lay on the pass for Roy[ Alan must be a serious contender for Offaly captain in the new year after a great year for his club and one of the few to shine for his county]. 3. Roy Malone's last gasp point, after the year he has had with injuries it was fantastic to see him get a bit of glory, it could not have happened to a nicer guy.

Bogman
All Star

Good Old-Fashioined Rhode/Offaly Comeback

Post by Bogman »

Great article Lone Shark and I have to echo all the posts. I really enjoyed the match!! A really heartwarming display of heart and true grit from Rhode. It proves that Hail Mary high balls can work sometimes although it would be good for Rhode if they could work out another way to get the ball into the forwards.

Eugene Magee gave Rhode and Offaly great credit for fighting spirit in his colour article today in the Indo.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

What are Lone Shark's thoughts on the Leinster Council's verdict that Rhode have to play on Sunday instead of Saturday? I personally think that it's a case of the small county put in their place yet again by the big bosses. You have to be a big county, as it has been proved over the years to get you're own way, with just a few months ago spring to mind, when our minor footballers were ignored and stuck in Navan for an all Ireland semi final to let a women's football game be the curtain raiser to the Dublin v Tyrone quarter final. '' absolutely crazy''

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Hmmm

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd have mixed feelings on this - firstly, why was this the case? I'm sure if Kilmacud were amenable to a swap, then it would have been done - as it is it clashes with the province's hurling decider, which seems needless. I'd like to hear the reasons for playing the game on Sunday before I'd necessarily condemn the Leinster Council.

You picked a bad example with the minor game - I agree with the decision to put that game outside of Croke Park. If that game was in Croke Park, tickets would have been in short supply - and getting them would have been far from a foregone conclusion. Personally I'd say it would have been needless and unforgiveable if there were Dublin/Tyrone/Down or Offaly fans left out in the cold just because of a wish to play the game at HQ.

The women's game was between the same two counties if memory serves, and could use the PR more than a minor match between two counties with a rich history. Also, both of those teams had already played in Croker this year, so that argument was out the window as well.