Offaly vs Galway 17/6/2012 LSHC Semi Final

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Re: Offaly vs Galway 17/6/2012 LSHC Semi Final

Post by Offaly2010 »

Same team as the last day lads..

1.James Dempsey
2.Del Morkan
3.David Kenny
4.David Franks
5.Diarmuid Horan
6.Rory Hanniffy
7.James Rigney
8.Conor Mahon
9.Kevin Brady
10.Joe Bergin
11.Colin Egan
12.Brendan Murphy
13.Shane Dooley
14.Cathal Parlon
15.Brian Carroll.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

1 to 9 to play as named.

2 man full forward line here we come.

Handing the initative to Galway.

I've made my feelings known about this on a previous thread and I want to re-affirm my opposition to this again. Our three most prolific forwards should be in the full forward line for this game and let's take the game to Galway.

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

Lads, do ye remember waiting up for Sean Og O Ceallachain to come on after the late news on the Tuesday or Wednesday or whatever night before a game to name the teams.
I remember as a young lad going to school and being allowed to stay up late on the night we knew the team would be named. The innocence and excitement of all was great.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

I agree with Kinnittyman on this one.

As monumental and significant as the win against Wexford was 10 days ago, valid criticisms of the team have been made on this forum. It is thus reasonable to be disappointed that the same starting 15 had been named. A winning team is never comprised of 15 faultless hereos, there always remains room for improvement. Offaly came within the thickness of Derek Morkans hurl to losing that game against Wexford. It was that close. That close to disaster and calls, no doubt, for half a dozen changes for the next match. Fine margins.

Starting from the back, Del is many things but a natural corner back he isn't. His positioning there is all the more irritating given how superb a wing back he is. I've been saying this since the start of the year, but for me, Del and wing back would be the first name down on my defensive six.

The options on corner back are, granted, slim. Many possible candidates, none standout. The loss of Egan and Verney for this campaign have been significant. With one eye on the future, it was reassuring to hear that Sean Coughlan played well on what was a red letter day for the U-21's a week ago. For Sunday however, Rigney is perhaps the best option. Although by no means the perfect solution, he is the best possible candidate to mark Damien Hayes. Remember that day in Portlaoise two years ago? Galway opened proceedings by placing their two biggest operators (Tannion and Canning) on Franks and Egan. Speed merchant Hayes meanwhile was left on Kenny.The result? Space created and trouble for Offaly in the full back line throughout that whole first half as Galway powered ahead. The situation was remedied significantly by moving Rigney back on Hayes, where he did a superb job. In both personality and hurler, he is the man for that specific job. Galway were murdered in the second half by our defence. Canning was moved out to Del at wing back - Joe was cleaned.

Reports of Cleary hurling well are to be welcomed, such is our dilema in midfield. Kevin Brady wasn't the answer 5 years ago, he certainly isn't now. The free count is too high and if he's on a yellow, the chances of which are not insignificant, he MUST be substituted. Mahon, for all his effort, remains limited. As superbly as Rory Hanniffy plays at centre back, he is sorely needed in midfield and beyond. If Cleary could cover centre back....Admittedly, at this stage in the season, in such a game, this would be a huge call. A more conservative solution would be the addition of Molloy to half forward line with the placing of Murphy in midfield. On a side note and again looking to the future, given Tom Carrolls displays for Clareen, I'm surprised he has never been considered in this sector for Offaly - especially given our obvious deficiencies in this area. A conversation for another day perhaps.

To the great debate. Where to place Joe Bergin? Needed everywhere, competent everywhere, there is no easy answer. It is lazy to suggest that the placing of him forward alongside Dooley is the panacea to all. Are memories so short? Joe has played enough below average games at full forward alongside a mal-functioning Offaly half-forward line for people to realise it is not the only option. Dublin 2011, being but one recent example. But, but, but, the potential, the temptation remains, against this Galway full back line for the green flag to the raised. The secret to victory, any victory. Perhaps a forward line of Molloy, Egan, Murphy/Parlon, Dooley, Bergin, Carroll will facilitate this. If puck outs are lost and the maroon tide surges forward, Bergin may have to be moved out.

I'm wired for it now. Best of luck to all.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Offaly2010 wrote:Same team as the last day lads..

1.James Dempsey
2.Del Morkan
3.David Kenny
4.David Franks
5.Diarmuid Horan
6.Rory Hanniffy
7.James Rigney
8.Conor Mahon
9.Kevin Brady
10.Joe Bergin
11.Colin Egan
12.Brendan Murphy
13.Shane Dooley
14.Cathal Parlon
15.Brian Carroll.
In fairness lads I very much don't think that'll be the team that starts, I think Ollie is bringing some of the traits of his former gaffer Loughnane in naming dummy teams. For any of our Galway neighbours that are browsing here's the way things will be... Dempsey will be full forward, Dooley will drop back to stop canning, Carroll will be in goal, bergin corner back and I heard rumours rigney is going to be deployed as a secret weapon at corner forward...
Last edited by allstar2010 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly didn't get much game changing from the bench against Wexford. Sean Ryan came on in the forwards but didn't make much impact.
Other lads here will have seen him hurl much more than me, but I never really thought the had the natural traits of a corner forward.

An inside forward is a much more technical position where timing, positioning, angles, control, accuracy and stickwork are greater factors. I think that Ryan is a better loose ball player out around the middle of the field, especially on a summer sod.

With Kevin Brady at midfield you have a player who opts to hit the ball away a little often IMO. When he was wing back this was fine, but a midfielder should be prepared to solo it, play it short to a colleague, or split the posts when the opportunity is there.

Did we got enough extra from withdrawing Brian Carroll to justify having him back around the middle? Or could we have been badly beaten in this area without him?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

allstar2010 wrote:In fairness lads I very much that'll be the team that starts, I think Ollie is bringing some of the traits of his former gaffer Loughnane in naming dummy teams. For any of our Galway neighbours that are browsing here's the way things will be... Dempsey will be full forward, Dooley will drop back to stop canning, Carroll will be in goal, bergin corner back and I heard rumours rigney is going to be deployed as a secret weapon at corner forward...
Delete that before the Galway management read it!

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Offaly didn't get much game changing from the bench against Wexford. Sean Ryan came on in the forwards but didn't make much impact.
Other lads here will have seen him hurl much more than me, but I never really thought the had the natural traits of a corner forward.

An inside forward is a much more technical position where timing, positioning, angles, control, accuracy and stickwork are greater factors. I think that Ryan is a better loose ball player out around the middle of the field, especially on a summer sod.

With Kevin Brady at midfield you have a player who opts to hit the ball away a little often IMO. When he was wing back this was fine, but a midfielder should be prepared to solo it, play it short to a colleague, or split the posts when the opportunity is there.

Did we got enough extra from withdrawing Brian Carroll to justify having him back around the middle? Or could we have been badly beaten in this area without him?

The only way to play Sean Ryan at this level is on a dry hard ground (this is key), at corner forward, create space for him and tell him that every time he gets the ball take on his marker and head for goal. With his pace and physicality he will invariably win a free if not more. Baring that, pass the ball. Don't take pot shots and don't shoot from distance. His skill levels are not high enough for midfield or for slinging points over from all angles. Such as he is, there is nearly as good a chance he'd score two goals as two points.
It's as above or nothing for him with perhaps the greatest payback possible when the game has opened up and corner backs are weary after 50 odd minutes.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Was I at the same game as ye lads agin Wexford? Our midfield was cleaned completely from runners coming through, and as a third midfielder Carroll was nowhere to be seen in the second half. I hope ye are right about this being a dummy team. I cannot believe that Brady would be considered again.
As for Sean Ryan, he came on the last day at corner forward after at least 55mins when his man should have been tiring and offered not a whit.

I am looking forward to the game but am wary of the threat that Galway could blow us away with that midfield playing, and we are out of it by half time.
Granted the manager is looking at the players all the time and knows the form, but apart from some lads saying that Carroll had a decent game (which I disagree with), we are all in agreement that our midfield was ripped apart. Also the scary thing is that I think we dont have players who know how to play midfield. Dylan Hayden was seen as the saviour on many an occasion here but he never marked his man either. We are not awake to off the ball runs from midfield, lads appearing to run down cul de sacs and our midfield looks after them thinking "sure wheres he going, the ball is nowhere near there?", all of a sudden a quick dart off and they are in the perfect position to pick up a pass from a team mate with our hero standing on flabbergasted.
It may be a simplistic version of events but is terrible to watch from the stand sa it unfolds time and again.

We had a lucky escape against a Wexford team, and I fear we will have learned nothing and will suffer greatly if we dont make a couple of changes for the throw in. A couple of the right changes, "Fogra" roaring out over the tannoy , will have the dander up and we'll be leppin out of the seats.
I expect to empty the tank during the first half where I think if we are in touch at half time we will have the desire and ability to drive on in the second half.

OOOH FALLL Ya, OOOH FALLL Ya,OOOH FALLL Ya,OOOH FALLL Ya,OOOH FALLL Ya! The young lad was only sayin to me the other day, "will the Offaly fans becheering OOOOHFALLLYA again in Portlaoise like the last time against Galway? By God , I hope so, above any county in Ireland we need something to give us a lift!!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

best of luck to the lads on sunday, Galway will be a big test with Canning back they will be the stronger for it.
our midfield looks weak but since the league and much of last year under Joe Dooley we have had problems in midfield.

yes Hanniffy could move out to midfield but he goes out of games for spells when he is midfield i have seen this for Birr to
leave him centre back. and hope Mahon and Brady hurl well why not try Colin Egan he is well able to catch the ball plus he is fit.

i think the winning of this game is our half back line and our full forward line if we win theses lines we can nick it,
if Dooley get enough ball and Joe Bergin hits a good day we will be on the ball, Cathal Parlon should be better than the wexford game,

its a 20 man game now with Derek Molloy, Sean Ryan, we might see Barry Harding or a few more come on sunday.
the only thing is we can't let Galway get off to a good start there a team that if they get a good start they can be world beaters
or keep with them and we can beat them for a finish and the wexford game might stand to us on sunday

hard to call offaly by 3 points.............. :wink:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Galway have named their team and have made a few changes. James Skehill returns in goal, replacing Fergal Flannery, Joseph Cooney replaces Paul Gordon at wing-back, the Abbey-Duniry selector Mattie Kenny being prevailed upon to drop his club-man Gordon who was a controversial choice anyway (in the best traditions of GAlway hurling!), and Joe Canning replaces Davy Glennon in the full-forward line.

No changes in either midfield or half-forward lines, where Galway were in most trouble betimes against Westmeath. Still, they gave it all in a challenge match the next day against Tipperary. Like, who needs Leinster hurling?

James Skehill
Niall Donohue
Kevin Hynes
Fergal Moore (Capt.)
Joseph Cooney
Tony Óg Regan
Johnny Coen
Íarla Tannian
Andy Smith
David Burke
Niall Burke
Cyril Donnellan
Damien Hayes
Joe Canning
Conor Cooney
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Post by onthefence »

Cant wait for sunday, overloaded on over hyped soccer, hopefully it will be a proper championship affair.

Very hard to call this game you have two of the most inconsistant teams in ireland goin head to head. both teams have a lot of room for improvement for there first day out. The galway team is very young and very very fast and mobile wont hold any fear of offaly and from talkin to some galway natives they are fairly confidant. The offaly players will know they can compete but will they believe they can will hopefully baker can instill this into the boys. offaly are a big strong team and with the weather the way it is and playing in portlaoise hopefully that will give us an advantage. A lot has been said of our midfeild been poor but ithink both half forward lines will be more important. Galways half back line is very attack minded and run a lot of ball so it will be up to egan, murphy, bergin, carrol, parlon, molloy or whoever else ends up out there to win clean ball or make them clear under pressure stop them from runnin. i think galways half forward line is there weakest line and our half back line is our strongest for a good few years so offaly need to be coming out on top here to have a chance.

So here goes i gona make a bold prediction of an offaly win leading at half time and holding out to win by 4 or 5 points with horan being man of the match :!:

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Okay boys, lets give the fresh-faced Galway gang an introduction to Championship Hurling that some of them will never recover from.

Moral victories are a thing of the past. Heroes don't lose gallantly, they make their opponents lose gallantly.

This is our time. We've got the players to do it and the sight of the maroon jerseys is worth at least an extra 5 point to us.

They've got their underachieving excuses lined up even though they are comfortable favorites...we're rebuilding, we're giving youth a chance, we have a five year plan, blah, blah, blah. Who cares?????!!!!

Let's give them a real excuse. Let's have them be beaten by the hungrier, tougher and more skilled team on the field.

You boys know you're the better team, we know you're the better team.

You all know you can do it. Make yourselves proud. LET'S GO GIT "EM!!!!!

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

well that was terrible! How Diarmuid Horan, David Kenny & Conor Mahon stayed as long as they did i dont know. They just werent up to it today for whatever reason. Thank god Rory Hanniffy was centre back he covered the backline time & time again. This is not a great galway team we gifted them 3 goals in the 1st half and the game is over. Colin Egan hurled quite well again and caught some nice ball. Joe Bergin needs to be at centre forward with Egan & Molloy either side. You drag the half forward line out and have a speedy full forward line of dooley parlon & Ryan who are told to run at the backline every chance they get. Egan was snuffed out in the second half as they knew every puck out was aimed at him we need to develop 3 or 4 viable options for puck outs. Brendan Murphy & Brian Carroll have been great servants for offaly but their time at intercounty level is nearly at an end

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Desperately dissapointed with today.Defence was all over the place absoultely zero defensive strategy from the management.The gap space between the full back line and half bck line was massive and if you give any team that kind of space tey will punish you.Also our full back ine were left very isolated at times and David Kenny was left one on one far out the field with nobody behind him an awful lot of the time in the first 20 minutes.We didnt win enough ball in the half forward line and Galway cleaned up there.

This is a massive blow for Offaly as that team has been there for 4 or 5 years now and we dont have much coming through from underage we really neede to win today as we wont have too many more chances to get to a Leinster final.Only for Shane Dooley who must have scored 2-10 it would have been ten times worse.There was very little treath from our other forwards.

Was Derek Molloys goal a complete fluke, there seemed to be a huge dip on the ball I wasnt sure if he meant it or if he complete mis hit the ball.It looked like a complete miss hit from where I was.
Last edited by DAF on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.