Offaly versus Kildare 16th June 2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Offaly versus Kildare 16th June 2012

Post by bracknaghboy »

Johnno81 wrote:Heard in work today that they lost by 14 points.

And seemingly playing Roscommon in Killeigh tomorrow evening?????
Sure who knows lads? As usual intercounty challenge games remain wrapped in a shroud of secrecy.

aze111
Junior B
Club: walshisland

Post by aze111 »

Braknaghboy,

Unfortunately this is true. My club mate is on the panel and he told me last night they got an awful beating

fatlad
Intermediate

Post by fatlad »

Beaten 13 to 1-8. By all acounts Offaly were woeful!!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

whats new they were bad under Cooney they will be the same under Coffey, kildare won't be to worried or fired up for this one
they will have their eye on bigger fish to fry in the championship they will win by what ever they want without hitting top gear.

offaly should write off this season and get a manger and team in place for next years league and start fresh and get out of division 4

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Cop on Townman, challenge games are never an indication. How can ya "write off" the season? Dont train, and get back together in the Autumn under some miracle manager? Coffey deserves a shot at the job, and Im sure they will improve. Fair enough we wont beat Kildare, but we could definitely take a scalp or 2 in the qualifiers. I will head over to Portlaoise and give my support to our team, theres something about coming home after a defeat and listening to one of the local morons in the pub pontificate about how bad Offaly were from the safety of the barstool, usually blokes who never go to a game and are armed with the knowledge of Gerry Russell's commentary. Let him talk away, throw a few open ended questions to him, draw him out, and ask were ya at it?
Look at the face curl up as he says "Wouldnt waste 25e on them shower", as he slurps the last out of his pint. I think if I ever reach that stage in life, I will turn to the safety of the local darts team, give up listening to Russell, in fact banish all matters GAA from me life.
When you cant go and support your team and they playing 25miles away in Championship, and dont get involved in your club, sure what is the point? And dont say its money, cause I know plenty of team mates who earned big money up til recently who never went to see Offaly play over the last 10 years.

My Left Foot
Senior

Post by My Left Foot »

normally i'd agree with challenge matches not being an indicator, however when you are losing most of them a trend starts to form.........!

food for thought after Croker yesterday - Louth were lesser odds to beat Dublin than we are to beat Kildare - we are going to be completely up against it on a fitness and physical size basis v Kildare so we will need to have players who can win the ball under pressure in the (sure to be) 2 man full forward line. That will be the probable long ball tactic we will ( have to?) use. If Niall is out can anyone stand up to the plate to do the job ?

i don't think Kildare forwards are as clinical/free scoring as the Dubs but make no bones about it we will have to play much much better than at any time this year to even hang onto their coat tails.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Cop on Townman, challenge games are never an indication. How can ya "write off" the season? Dont train, and get back together in the Autumn under some miracle manager? Coffey deserves a shot at the job, and Im sure they will improve. Fair enough we wont beat Kildare, but we could definitely take a scalp or 2 in the qualifiers. I will head over to Portlaoise and give my support to our team, theres something about coming home after a defeat and listening to one of the local morons in the pub pontificate about how bad Offaly were from the safety of the barstool, usually blokes who never go to a game and are armed with the knowledge of Gerry Russell's commentary. Let him talk away, throw a few open ended questions to him, draw him out, and ask were ya at it?
Look at the face curl up as he says "Wouldnt waste 25e on them shower", as he slurps the last out of his pint. I think if I ever reach that stage in life, I will turn to the safety of the local darts team, give up listening to Russell, in fact banish all matters GAA from me life.
When you cant go and support your team and they playing 25miles away in Championship, and dont get involved in your club, sure what is the point? And dont say its money, cause I know plenty of team mates who earned big money up til recently who never went to see Offaly play over the last 10 years.
100% spot on

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Cop on Townman, challenge games are never an indication. How can ya "write off" the season? Dont train, and get back together in the Autumn under some miracle manager? Coffey deserves a shot at the job, and Im sure they will improve. Fair enough we wont beat Kildare, but we could definitely take a scalp or 2 in the qualifiers. I will head over to Portlaoise and give my support to our team, theres something about coming home after a defeat and listening to one of the local morons in the pub pontificate about how bad Offaly were from the safety of the barstool, usually blokes who never go to a game and are armed with the knowledge of Gerry Russell's commentary. Let him talk away, throw a few open ended questions to him, draw him out, and ask were ya at it?
who said anything about not going to the game, look offaly have been a shambles this year first they took so long to get someone to take them over, then when they did
he was gone, Coffey has came in and fair play to him give him the job fulltime if he wants it,

what my point was offaly are going into a game again one of leinsters best sides in kildare who are about 4 years or more ahead of offaly in fitness and all things football
right offaly and coffey can only do their best but it could turn into a Dublin Louth display as kildare to will want to lay down a marker for the year.

my point in they should write off the year is offaly need to knock a few heads together get the right man in get the players who want to pull on the offaly jersey together
start a training project a squad and work to get out of division 4 , maybe a good show in championship in 2013 get out of division 3 and so on.

look at longford they are doing well taking a step every year, they wouldn't have better footballers than offaly but they have aman in Glen Ryan and a squad that know where they
are going.

i was walking out of O'Connor park with a good laois gael from clonaslee on saturday and he was saying where now for laois hurling they blame the county board
after last years cork debate and Brendan Fennelly who was to blame for saturdays display the players he said the same as last year.

there seems to be the same problem with offaly footballers over the last few years since Kilmurray went and shouldn't have but thats another days debate
Richie Connor was the fault Tom Cribbin the same Cooney as well wouldn't be long till Tom Cofffey will be the problem to.

lets hope the footballers go out and give it everything again the flourbags 100 per cent thats all you can asked from them lets hope they don't go out and lay down
and Coffey take the blame for another no show as is going on in offaly this 6 years or more.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

I hope they do give 100%, thats what we ask from them all the time Townman, and Coffey is the man in charge. I take issue with your statement "write the year off", sure what good is that. Sure we wont beat Kildare, but who in Leinster would fancy them beating them? Its about him stamping his mark on the squad and taking them on a level. I dont know if there are a whole lot of other options available, take the hurling, we would have a decent profile still in the hurling but we have ended up with unproven managers in place after the last 2 appointments.

Offaly Proud
Junior A
Club: clara

Post by Offaly Proud »

Is it true that Niall Smith,Alan Mc Namee and Richie Dalton are injured and will miss the Kildare game?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Wondering if there is any news on the team or how things are panning out for the weekend. Also wondering if Niall Mc is anyway close to getting free of injury. There is a big jump for these fellas to make to be competitive the next day but with the right application and honesty of effort, a moral victory would be a boost. We are well down the pecking order now in Leinster having seen the Longford and Wexford game yesterday. The speed power and pace of their players is a long way ahead of ours at the moment. The only consolation is that Meath are also falling back further into the pack and are not at the forefront like they used to be ten years ago or more. Anyone any thoughts??
jimbob

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

jimbob17 wrote:Wondering if there is any news on the team or how things are panning out for the weekend. Also wondering if Niall Mc is anyway close to getting free of injury. There is a big jump for these fellas to make to be competitive the next day but with the right application and honesty of effort, a moral victory would be a boost. We are well down the pecking order now in Leinster having seen the Longford and Wexford game yesterday. The speed power and pace of their players is a long way ahead of ours at the moment. The only consolation is that Meath are also falling back further into the pack and are not at the forefront like they used to be ten years ago or more. Anyone any thoughts??
I'd say the lesson from yesterday is not that Meath are coming back to meet us, it's that Carlow are now ahead of us.

It sounds ridiculous to say but a little bit of me would nearly take a seven or eight point defeat now if it was offered. I just can't see us winning and I think there has to be a very real chance that we suffer a record defeat, by as much twenty points.

I genuinely think Kildare are as good as Dublin, and I think Louth are better than us. So there's your formline.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

jimbob17 wrote:Wondering if there is any news on the team or how things are panning out for the weekend. Also wondering if Niall Mc is anyway close to getting free of injury. There is a big jump for these fellas to make to be competitive the next day but with the right application and honesty of effort, a moral victory would be a boost. We are well down the pecking order now in Leinster having seen the Longford and Wexford game yesterday. The speed power and pace of their players is a long way ahead of ours at the moment. The only consolation is that Meath are also falling back further into the pack and are not at the forefront like they used to be ten years ago or more. Anyone any thoughts??
Looking at the Leinster Championship so far there isn't one team in Leinster that we would beat.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lone Shark wrote:
It sounds ridiculous to say but a little bit of me would nearly take a seven or eight point defeat now if it was offered. I just can't see us winning and I think there has to be a very real chance that we suffer a record defeat, by as much twenty points.
The thing is if we are beaten by 7 it may just mask the problems we have. However a 15-20 point hammering might wake a few people up to the dire situation Offaly football finds itself in, but it probably wouldn't. I've heard that little has changed in terms of player attitude towards training since Coffey has taken over. Theres a very real possibility that we enter Sundays game as the worst prepared intercounty team in many a year. Powers now make Kildare 1/25. In my lifetime no team has ever been that short to beat us....LS might be able to confirm this.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Kildare scored 3-23 against westmeath.A similar score is possible for them on Sunday.I'd like to think we can compete but the truth of the matter is that we are miles off their level and even if Kildare had 15 player with a junior b standard of footballing abaility on their team they would still beat us due to their supreme levels of fitness strength and intensity.Our two best payers Smith and McNamee are not going to play and even with them it was difficult without them it is near impossible to see Offaly push Kildare.

Although I dont like saying it but I agree with Bracknagh boy that an almighty hammering may serve Offaly football better in the long run.Something has to hammer home the point that the managerial appointments and lack of organisation in Offaly football has left us miles behind the rest of Leinster.We got to the Leinster final in 2006 with a reasonably young team but we have done nothing since then, we havent even built on our fine performance agaisnt Down in 2010.