R.I.P Kieran McEvoy

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
black and red exile
All Star

R.I.P Kieran McEvoy

Post by black and red exile »

Heard the news this evening that Kieran McEvoy has passed away suddenly, a huge shock to everyone in Port and all over the County, may he rest in peace.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: R.I.P Kieran McEvoy

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Just heard the news myself, my sincerest sympathies to his family, friends and loved ones. May he rest in peace.
The night is darkest before the dawn

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

I'm very sad to have heard this. I remember a fresh faced Kieran playing as a late substitute in the 1991 County Final. He was still giving Gracefield everything up to last years semi-final defeat to Edenderry.

I can't help but think about Shane Ryan too at this moment. Two great GAA men who would be of the same vintage and would've played together (and both with AZ Offaly). Both gone far too early.

May he rest in peace.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Very sad to hear this news over the weekend. Kieran was a fine, fine footballer and a nice lad as well. I've met him a good few times since we finished playing together, and I could never get over the fact that he was still plugging away in the Black and Red. He was always quick with a chat, and always seemed genuinely interested in listening to what you were saying. I spent about an hour having a pint or two with him in Galway a few years ago and it was great to catch up with him.

Magpie above mentioned Shane Ryan as well, which is true, and in fact I also remember Martin Dempsey from Laois as well, who died earlier this year. All of my vintage, and all played in that battle of Tullamore against Laois in the U21 Leinster Championship in 1994. Very sad to see them all taken so young.

RIP Kieran, and deepest sympathies to his family, friends and the Gracefield club.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

great servant to gracefield and a sound man, r.i.p kieran.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

May Kieran rest in peace, and sincere symapathy to his family and to the Gracefield club.

I played against him on a few occasions and marked him a few years ago too. A fine, natural footballer, and a great scoretaker. This is very sad and you would think of Shane Ryan around this time also. Two great blokes.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Arguably the most skillful footballer we have seen in the last 30 years. Even watching him kick a 14 yard free over the bar was a delight, the way he wrapped his boot around the ball was something else. Class is the only word that described the footballing ability of the man.

RIP Kieran.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Folks, this is from the Official GAA website, I hope nobody minds me reproducing it here...

Kieran McEvoy R.I.P
1975-2012

Even as a slight 8 year old Kieran McEvoy caught the eye of many in Gracefield as a bright future prospect. It was the spring of 1982 and on the back of Offaly’s historic All Ireland Hurling win of 1981 20 lads would go to the field every Sunday morning after half nine mass to have a puck about. Every Sunday morning a dark haired little boy would follow the sliotars as they were struck behind the goals. He would amaze everyone with his striking ability, using what was an adult hurley – a star in the making – one for the future – Kieran McEvoy.
Kieran loved sport in general and was very accomplished at Gaelic football and Hurling and was a dab hand at the game of soccer also. Kieran had everything a footballer and hurler required; balance, skill, pace and flair. He first played Senior football for Gracefield in 1991 winning a Division 1 Senior football league medal as a long haired, moustachioed 17 year old. He also lined out at corner forward in the 1991 Senior Footall Final defeat to Clara, the first of three Senior finals he was to play in, in his career. He won his second Senior Football league medal in 2009 playing a big part in the victory and as a result of his great year won senior footballer of the year for Gracefield.
In 1992 he won a Junior A Hurling Championship medal when Gracefield beat Drumcullen. He also won a Junior Hurling League medal that year. He was so proud of his achievements and spoke afterwards of his delight having remembered Gracefields first win in 1984 and having always wanted to win one himself. Kieran loved hurling and was undoubtedly the most skilful hurler the club has produced over 30 years. Proof of his skill occurred one evening in O’Connor park in a Championship game against Killeigh. Kieran scored from four sideline cuts in that game, a fete Joe Canning of Galway would certainly have been proud of. As a hurler Kieran was a match for anyone, he could strike the sliotar a mile at his ease, he could run with the sliotar glued to his hurley and had a magic side step, with great balance. If he had played hurling for a Senior Hurling club he would certainly have represented Offaly at Inter County level.
Kieran did play Inter County Football and represented Offaly at minor, u/21 and Senior levels winning a Leinster u/21 Championship medal in 1995, the highlight of his football career. He played in the 2011 Senior Football semi-final defeat to Edenderry and his last senior appearance was against Rhode in this years league. He was still playing hurling, the game he loved up until last week.

Kieran was a very hard working family man. He thought the world of his wife Emma and their four children, Megan, Ben, Luke and Robyn. He was a very quite and inoffensive man who was somewhat shy but enjoyed the craic with his friends and teammates, and never had a bad word to say about anyone. Kieran McEvoy the Husband, the Father, the brother, the friend, the hurler and footballer has left a permanent mark on us all in his all too short life. The memories of our own star, that will now, forever shine brightly, and will never grow old, or ever glow dim.

You left us with great memories, and we will always remember you.

Ar dhéis Dé do raibh a hanam dílis.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

sad news i remember him as a fresh face young lad again Roscommon In tullamore for offaly the early 90's he scored 1-2 i think off Eno Galvin the all star corner back of 1991
that day R.I.P. Kieran.

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

azoffaly wrote: and in fact I also remember Martin Dempsey from Laois as well, who died earlier this year. All of my vintage, and all played in that battle of Tullamore against Laois in the U21 Leinster Championship in 1994. Very sad to see them all taken so young.
That was Martin Slevin, azoffaly.

Sympathies to Kieran's family from across the border. I didn't know the lad but many of my clubmates played with him on a great Portarlington CBS team in the 90's and they were stunned to hear of his passing over the weekend. RIP.
Last edited by Heshs Umpire on Tue May 22, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shovels
Junior B

Post by shovels »

RIP Kieran Mc

I remember that CBS Portarlington team of 92.
Hughie emerson, martin slevin, alan comerford, kieran mcevoy, eamon allen etc
It was a savage team.

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

Very sad to hear of this tragedy...
Does anybody know what happened or how he died?
Was it a heart attack?

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Heshs Umpire wrote:
azoffaly wrote: and in fact I also remember Martin Dempsey from Laois as well, who died earlier this year. All of my vintage, and all played in that battle of Tullamore against Laois in the U21 Leinster Championship in 1994. Very sad to see them all taken so young.
That was Martin Slevin, azoffaly.

Sympathies to Kieran's family from across the border. I didn't know the lad but many of my clubmates played with him on a great Portarlington CBS team in the 90's and they were stunned to hear of his passing over the weekend. RIP.
Beg your pardon, Slevin I meant of course.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

Lived in Port for years, knew Kieran and most of the Gracefield lads. Very sad news, shocking in fact.
In his late thirties still a better footballer than most. Condolences to his family and Gracefield GAA.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i hear he got one of the biggest sent offs seen in gracefield shows you how hight he was held both sides of the bridge.