Offaly Minors

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Tomthumb
Junior C

Re: Offaly Minors

Post by Tomthumb »

Duplicate
Last edited by Tomthumb on Fri May 18, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomthumb
Junior C

Post by Tomthumb »

Not trying to be smart with but I think there are only 11clubs represented.Dont cahill and Corbett play with ferbane minor club.also I don't think that is what banjo meant by nepotism.

banjo
Junior C

Post by banjo »

townman wrote:Lawless the fullforward not playing after getting a hat-trick the last day :?
Maybe he doesn't have the right connections

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Should Joe Maher from Ferbane not be on the team?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well he was the last day to, just saying a chap scores 3 goals fair enough again kilkenny its the only game so far this year in the championship
and gets the cull maybe he is hurt but it seems unfair on the chap if he was left out.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

It's 12 adult clubs. Darragh Corbett is from Shannonbridge and will play football with the Bridge this year, but Ciarán Cahill is Ferbane for football purposes, and Belmont for hurling - no different to Brian Grehan. Ciarán is from the Belmont end, but it's the one football club.

Shane Lawless was struck down with a virus in the last few weeks, one that took a while to even diagnose. He's still only on the road to recovery and hopefully will have a part to play later in the year, possibly as a starter, or possibly as a very dangerous sub to bring in. In fairness to the chap, if he gets back to the form he was showing in March and April, he will get picked.
banjo wrote:Where is all the outstanding minors Edenderry had last year Aaron o Connell Peter o neill cormac Hurley Sean Doyle who all have all Ireland colleges medals and I'm almost sure they have county senior medals aswell .good to see nepotism is alive and well in minor ranks aswell
Ridiculous comment. You might want to look up what nepotism means. Even if you thought it means lads picking from their own club, then you're way off the mark. John Ryan is from Birr, Ger Keyes from Shamrocks, and John Murray is from Moate, but used to train Ballycumber. Sum total of players from Birr, Shamrocks and Ballycumber? Zero.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Unrealbanter
Junior B
Club: Tullamore

Post by Unrealbanter »

DAF wrote:Should Joe Maher from Ferbane not be on the team?

He is on the team hes full forward,

A few unusual positions, grehan at corner back lads? Was he not full forward for them last year? :lol: and cusack at centre forward?? I always thought he was a back and a good 1 at that!! Also joe maher at 14? Best of luck lads yee are well able to overcome meath! These lads are the future of offaly football

banjo
Junior C

Post by banjo »

Boo hoo now you've hurt my feelings

Tomthumb
Junior C

Post by Tomthumb »

Anyone know where the retirement party for John Ryan and his entourage is tonight enough is enough.the minor county board should nt be without blame either.that team was unbeaten under Dave kavanagh up to under 16 where did it all go wrong.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Meath 3-11
Offaly 1-8

Just back from the match after a bright start where Offaly scored 4 points in the first 10 minutes and were on top in midfield they fell away badly.The full back line were caught out for all three goals came from 3 long balls and the full back line were completely destroyed in the second half and were well off their men.Joseph Maher was Offalys best player Peter Cunnigham was lively enough at times and Luke Kelly played well when he moved into te half forwar line in the second half.Jordan Quinn done well in the first half at full back.Ficahra Ward was top class for Meath from free and general play (Is he Cian Wards brother?)

Offaly missed alot of easy frees aswell which is very demoralising.Free taking seems to be a thing Offaly have abandoned at all levels.We havent had a good freetaker at senior level for years .He difficult can it be for the managers of county teams to insist all the forward practice freetaking so that we can get one high quality freetaker at senior level.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Tomthumb wrote:Anyone know where the retirement party for John Ryan and his entourage is tonight enough is enough.the minor county board should nt be without blame either.that team was unbeaten under Dave kavanagh up to under 16 where did it all go wrong.
The senior board makes these appointments
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

clubman
Junior A

Post by clubman »

just back from game, very dissapointed.offaly played ok in first half but got caught for an easy goal.could not believe the changes that were made at half time. no 9 goes to corner back,no 6 to half forward,no 10 to midfield takes off no7 after 4 minutes second half.meath were a better team but offaly could have been closer.think its time for john ryan and co to step down very poor on the side line.

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

Big deal 12 clubs represented , keep everyone happy !! ,The bulk of the minor team should have came from st Mary's and gallan , both all Ireland finalists last month and playing competitive football for the last 6 months,

Tomthumb
Junior C

Post by Tomthumb »

red exile wrote:Big deal 12 clubs represented , keep everyone happy !! ,The bulk of the minor team should have came from st Mary's and gallan , both all Ireland finalists last month and playing competitive football for the last 6 months,
Fair play red exilie I was beginning to think it was a birth rite or you had to have someone on the county board

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

red exile wrote:Big deal 12 clubs represented , keep everyone happy !! ,The bulk of the minor team should have came from st Mary's and gallan , both all Ireland finalists last month and playing competitive football for the last 6 months,
Conor Clancy (St Rynaghs)
2 Sean Moriarity (Edenderry)
3 Jordan Quinn (KIlcormac/Killoughey)
4 Brian Grehan (Ferbane)
5 Owen Carroll (Cappincur)
6 Luke Kelly (Clara)
7 Darragh Corbett (Shannonbridge)
8 Ciaran Cahill (Belmont)
9 Conor McNamee (Rhode)
10 Johnny Kavanagh (Tullamore)
11 Oisin Cusack (Durrow)
12 Peter Cunningham (c) (Bracknagh)
13 Ruair McNamee (Rhode)
14 Joseph Maher (Ferbane)
15 Richard Reynolds (Raheen)

In fairness, the Mary's strongest lads were mostly from kildare and meath carried by daryl flynn (a kildare lad) currently training with the kildare seniors, yet still had a few involved. they also had a few overage for minor but underage for schools. Gallen make up a good portion of the team
of the team picked, Quinn was always going to be on it and fully deserved his spot. As far as i know Clancy has been on the panel since u 16 and is a serious goalie in hurling and football. Eoin Carroll of cappincur was always a starter and fully eserves his spot. Also played last year and exceptional for cappincur and being lined up for aussie rules as far as i know (trials at least). Luke Kelly is an exceptional talent and is one guy who could go on to play senior. Johnny Kavanagh is also a decent talent and has played adult level for tullamore and Peter Cunningham was playing 21 with OY this year scoring 5 pts from play v Louth. Richie Reynolds is one of the better forwards and was always going to start also. Cannot for the life of me see your argument.

The rest bar Cusack went to either Gallen or Mary's to my knowledge. In fact Gallen and Marys could have even had too many on it if you ask me, without knocking anyone. there is a massive step up from schools to county level. County level generally involves the pick of at least 10 or 12 schools and Meath schools would have done exceptionally well in recent years also. They have a massive pick going right in to Clonee beside Blanchardstown. There are a few more that could have been in there in the shake up between Na Fianna, Vincents, Tullamore and Clara had at least one more if not two who should have been in there. Beaten by a better team. Selection as far as i can see was not far off. Maybe coaching, game plans and strength and conditioning could be improved. Maybe decision making on hindsight could have been different but that is always the way when you lose a game. There were a few funny switches that one might ask questions about but as far as i am led to believe, this group put in a very good effort this year. Its a shame as i too saw them at 16 level and they were a serious bunch but it is all on the day....
jimbob