Offaly minor hurlers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joe bloggs
All Star

Re: Offaly minor hurlers

Post by joe bloggs »

Lone Shark wrote:This is about Offaly minor hurling, and if these results happened in Wexford Park, Páirc Tailteann and O'Moore Park, we wouldn't be talking about venues, we'd be talking about the hurling and what we're going to do about it. All this stuff is just giving cover for those charged with the development of hurling in Offaly to hide behind.

These lads did their best but it was a shallow panel, short on a lot of the basic skills of the game, such as fielding, support play and tackling. That's not the responsibility of the crowd, the grass or anything like it.
Yeah i would fully agree with you on that point. I just got side tracked.

With regard to Offaly hurling in general, we need to realise how much the game has changed in the last decade and change our coaching methods accordingly.
The ability to win primary possession, and retain it has become the dominant feature of the game. The problem with ground hurling is that you give the ball away too easily. I'm not saying that John Leahy had these lads whipping on the ball at every chance, far from it, but a lot of these lads would have been coached to do just that from a young age by club coaches and so they are lacking in other skills. There was an article in last weeks indo that stated that there were just SIX ground strokes played in the 2010 AI final
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Yeah, whether we could have won in the game Birr masks the issue.

The truth is that the Laois underage system produced a better group of hurlers than ours. Trying to come up with gimmicks to counteract this is folly.
Anyway we couldn't hide in Birr forever. Last time I checked, you have to hurl in places like Croke Park if you want to actually win stuff.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

i just stated the fact that the offaly support was poor , im from the so called non hurling end of offaly and i dont care if its in birr or tullamore i still would have went to show my support. the fact is laois were prepared better and were hungry for the ball and hungry for the win. the game they played against kilkenny would have stood to them where as we struggled to get over meath.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

firstly hard luck to the offaly lads and management and congrats to laois - as a carlow man its as hard to say for me as ye! the first thing i cant get my head around is the idea of birr or ocp as a venue. it shouldnt matter to the lads or to the supporters. its a poor argument or more like an excuse. as for some people nearly seeing this defeat as another mortal blow to offaly hurling, well i think thats a bit too far. you really only get a handfull of hurlers off each years minor team so its just one year and one game. we beat ye in 05 and appeared in one minor fianl. in 08 we couldnt even win the u21 leinster b yet ye were in the leinster final by kk. so these results of recent years dont mean it ll happen at senior down the line. every now and again other counties come with a team and cause a blip. tipp minor footballers are all ireland champs but it hardly has cork or kerry wondering where did it all go wrong.. at underage this happens, but i think ye have a more vibrant club scene at senior level than say us/laois/westmeath, so the shock is less likely to happen. Maybe give us counties a bit of credit for 1/2 big wins and just keep working away. lads sometimes talk about the good work being down here of late - its not rocket science! we just started the development squad system and our results have improved but not to any savage amount - as in we havent gone from B to leinster champs! we got bet by 30 odd points yesterday by dublin, and westmeath, yourselfs, last year. but we are continuing to bring players through and give them experience playing the top counties. we d be hoping that 5/6 of this team wil make the senior set up in the next few years. with our numberw we have no choice! both westmeath and laois have had school success of late and this has helped them bigtime to make the step up. i wish ye well and will always support ye when i can, but make sure ye support yer own young lads too!

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

old yellar wrote:firstly hard luck to the offaly lads and management and congrats to laois - as a carlow man its as hard to say for me as ye! the first thing i cant get my head around is the idea of birr or ocp as a venue. it shouldnt matter to the lads or to the supporters. its a poor argument or more like an excuse. as for some people nearly seeing this defeat as another mortal blow to offaly hurling, well i think thats a bit too far. you really only get a handfull of hurlers off each years minor team so its just one year and one game. we beat ye in 05 and appeared in one minor fianl. in 08 we couldnt even win the u21 leinster b yet ye were in the leinster final by kk. so these results of recent years dont mean it ll happen at senior down the line. every now and again other counties come with a team and cause a blip. tipp minor footballers are all ireland champs but it hardly has cork or kerry wondering where did it all go wrong.. at underage this happens, but i think ye have a more vibrant club scene at senior level than say us/laois/westmeath, so the shock is less likely to happen. Maybe give us counties a bit of credit for 1/2 big wins and just keep working away. lads sometimes talk about the good work being down here of late - its not rocket science! we just started the development squad system and our results have improved but not to any savage amount - as in we havent gone from B to leinster champs! we got bet by 30 odd points yesterday by dublin, and westmeath, yourselfs, last year. but we are continuing to bring players through and give them experience playing the top counties. we d be hoping that 5/6 of this team wil make the senior set up in the next few years. with our numberw we have no choice! both westmeath and laois have had school success of late and this has helped them bigtime to make the step up. i wish ye well and will always support ye when i can, but make sure ye support yer own young lads too!
Apart from Lone shark he's the only guy on this thread or forum for that matter to talk a bit of sense and he's not even from the county, by the way you hit the nail on the head for me with the Birr vs OCP argument, a venue doesn't and shouldn't make a difference if a team wins a game or not, if that were the case Kilkenny would only be able to win games at Nolan park and you don't see them using it as an excuse when they lose, its still 15 v 15, the same pitch the same goalposts with a ref, umpires and lines man regardless of location.

Getting back to the topic of the thread if i may, i didn't catch the game but leaving a side the fact that they let the game slip in the last few minutes of the game twice in a row, at least they were competitive in the wexford an Laois games, thats all you can ask for, it would be worse if we got hammered by 20 points or more in all three games

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

manfromdelmonte wrote:
Fido wrote:
Dublinmeath hurling wrote:The problem in Offaly is your living on tradition
We've enough angst of our own on this issue as you'd see in every other thread on here, thanks.
Ahlethimoutwithit wrote: The big issue though is parents, very few encourage the kids out to play football and hurling.
Kids are basically unfit, I can see now a situation where we are going to have to do fitness training as part of training u10s and 12s in the not too distannt, as opposed to skills and games.
Kids have poor coordination and these are all things that need to be brought in to the curriculem in National school.
Absolutely right.
Co-ordination and basic ball and movement skills are already part of the primary school curriculum, which should be implemented in every school in Ireland..
I doubt very many schools bother to do this
they have enough things to be focussing on

A huge issue now facing the GAA up and down the country is the lack of male teachers at primary level
i don't want to be sexist, but the female teachers are far less likely to have the interest in football and hurling (or any sport) to inspire the kids
a lot of female teachers don't bother with PE - fact
and are far less likely to give their own time to teams outside school time - fact

clubs need to get people into schools to develop the basic skills and interest in playing.
you can see the clubs who put the effort into the local schools as they get all the kids out and generally the kids have better skills
Totally agree with the lack of work done at primary level. Ger Loughnane commented on this a few years ago on the sunday game and nearly got lynched by feminist groups the following day. While the coaching games put money and coaches into schools, this is only for 10 or 12 weeks in hurling and football for an hour once a week. Perhaps even less. Primary teachers who are predominantly female are not willing to stay back and coach after school like they used to when i was a kid. We were often back 2/3 days a week training or being coached by a male principal who was genuinely interested in progressing us. these guys are rare enough now. While the coaching hours are in place for kids during school, they more skilled ones are not challenged too much with a lot of weaker kids around.

In KK there are a lot of male primary schools putting massive work in after school improving lads with a very competitive schools championship. Many of these teachers are valued hurling men with senior inter county experience. However these people are made valued by the co board and are always looked after for tickets. to my knowledge, they also have a dinner at the end of year provided by the co board for such people and those involved in development squads as a matter of thanks. In OY however, the co board cant see beyond their nose. There is never any reward or simple acknowledgement for people putting in the hard yards for nothing. There is not an inclusive relationship and so many good people feel ostracised and thankless work goes undone!! The coaching and games try and pick up the mantle but are doing so against a growing culture of rugby and premiership soccer with GAA well down the list in the kids eye as OY are not in the spotlight.

There are many girls doing great work after school in OY too. yet for the majority who have no interest, nothing is done with the GAA being covered thro coaching and games with minimal contact time per kid.

Regarding the minors, they put in a lot of work this year and to my knowledge have made strides as very little was done with these in dev. squads. John Leahy was picking up the pieces of a bad system and trying to turn around the ills in a few months which is not easy. Id love to know some of the scores of the matches this years dev hurling squads have been involved in or what they are doing with regard to development as i have heard some horror stories. Three years in a row, minor hurlers lose to Westmeath, Carlow and Laoise. Bad system, way off the pace. Some questions need to be asked. Christy Ring here we come. Scary but true!!!
jimbob

Clint
Junior C
Club: none

Post by Clint »

Have to agree with Yellar above,its not the end for Offaly.Remember this is not a bad Laois outfit and they have been superbly treated by their manager Seamus Plunkett.Had the whole 34 of them down in Galway recently on a bonding trip whereas some of the Offaly players were told they were dropped during the week only to be reinstated two days later and three of them played last night.That didn't help.
Offaly Co Board need to recognise the problem and support the schools.Previous contributor mentioned how Kilkenny do. Kilkenny also give financial grants to all schools who promote GAA,and that includes schools outside the county like St Fergal's Rathdowney and Good Counsel Wexford who have KK students attending them.
Offaly now need to have a real go at this year's U-21,as the standard in the final in Birr last Sunday night was quite good.A good run here could do wonders for the county.
John Leahy is doing his best and is a step up on the set up in charge over the last few years, but Offaly need to work on the players coming through and concentrate on the squads system.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Why do so many Kilkenny lads go into Primary School teaching? look at the hurling teams from St Pats in Drumcondra for the past 5/6 years and they've been backboned by Kilkenny players.

Go up to St Pats, Marino or Frobel in Dublin and you'll be amazed at the amount of Kilkenny people doing primary teaching. Male and Female.
Why????

Because they know that when jobs become available in Kilkenny they will be looked after by their local schools and clubs who want to get hurling people back into the primary system to keep churning out skilled hurlers.
There is a hurling culture down there that is nurtured at all levels.
Like having a dinner at the end of the year for all mentors who helped out on development squads or county underage panels. Small things, but they all add up.
only the best...

banjo
Junior C

Post by banjo »

Similar happening with minor footballers panel cut to 24 supposedly on
The instructions of the county board

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

it is very simple. The county board want to cut costs at the expense of a chance of success. The only way Offaly will have success is if guys are treated properly and they stay committed as a result. Who would blame a fella for choosing soccer or rugby with all the penny pinching. This is aside from the fact that a manager cant even play a full game in training with 24. Whatever about having to name 24, there should be a panel of 30 for training purposes.

You see in KK, the county board actually value the people doing the ground work where the hard yards are put in. In Offaly, you are honoured to be involved with a county team if you are with the co board making your job as difficult as possible and work more against you than with you. There is a total lack of leadership in the whole organisation, or good leadership should i say as most of it is negative destructive. There are so many bigots involved it is unbelievable. This is reflected in the high turnover of county senior football and hurling managers in the last ten years. It would happen in very few plavces and this is the principal reason we are where we are.

There is a totally different relationship in KK than in Offaly. I was involved with dev squads 5 or 6 years ago and the way one was treated was not good to say the least. There was little or no support. In fact it would make you negative if you really didnt have the love of Offaly in your heart. I really enjoy this forum for the simple reason that one can express ones thoughts without being pushed out to the side or left high and dry for calling a spade a spade. The pathetic bureacracy and cluelessness of the regime for the past long time from top to bottom is absolutely shocking!! And it is run by the clowns in the suits you see parading up around the VIP lounge in O Connor Park every weekend.. Apologies, but you cant beat a good oul rant...... :D
jimbob

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

I think we're a bit hasty just to be completely ruling out ground hurling as old fashioned and of no use. We have traditionally produced more stylish hurlers than big, physical men and the tactic of moving the ball fast was part of what got us competitive with Kilkenny and Wexford at first and then Galway and the Munster teams once we started winning Leinsters. I'm not by any means advocating all out whipping the ball every time it comes but it does, I believe, still have a place in an Offaly game plan.

What lets us down in general at all grades, and was quite noticeable on Saturday evening, is our lack of ability in the air and our failure to beat the man when in possession. It's not even that we don't win much ball in the air but against Laois it was blatantly obvious that we don't even know how to compete in the air. It's a major problem and something that needs to be addressed at club underage level and brought through the grades and into the county panels. We also seem to be striking the ball over our shoulder or off the back foot too often and it means we're not getting the distant or direction we should be. Again, we need to coach players properly from a young age at club level.

To be fair to John Leahy and other management teams that have gone before at underage, it is quite hard to coach lads at 15, 16, 17 years of age. They have developed their skills and habits from 5 or 6 and there's very little can be done after 10 years or more of doing things a certain way. That's why I believe the key is in coaching the underage club coaches and making sure they are producing players with all the necessary skills to compete at inter-county level. Most won't be good enough anyway because the standard is so high but at least if they are brought along properly they have a chance of making it. Some clubs are already doing this and it can be seen in the type of hurlers they produce but some clubs only care about winning at underage level and disregard the long term development of their players. We all know the County Board wouldn't organise a piss up in a brewery so it's time for the clubs to take ownership of the situation and start to put Offaly hurling back on the right road.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

jimbob17 wrote: And it is run by the clowns in the suits you see parading up around the VIP lounge in O Connor Park every weekend..
Is there actually a VIP lounge in OCP? If so, I want in.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

I can just picture it now …

…P. Diddy Teehan sippin the good stuff in the wrap-around couch with his gold jewellery and hoes .. observing proceedings …

…Handy Andy Gallagher busting some tunes on the decks …

…Jesus Christy Todd and Brendan “fightin tooth-n-nail” Ward playing craps at the ‘Don’ table …

… Scrap Bracken and Ray Landy in the Number ones and headsets on …. “ sorry lads … County Board Blazer wearing VIP’s only”

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

durra1 wrote:I can just picture it now …

…P. Diddy Teehan sippin the good stuff in the wrap-around couch with his gold jewellery and hoes .. observing proceedings …

…Jesus Christy Todd and Brendan “fightin tooth-n-nail” Ward playing craps at the ‘Don’ table …

… Scrap Bracken and Ray Landy in the Number ones and headsets on …. “ sorry lads … County Board Blazer wearing VIP’s only”
With the obligary delegate complaining:
"If this VIP lounge was moved to Birr, the champagne would be fizzier, the hoes would be hotter and the Colombian bouncing powder would be purer".

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

[quote]
durra1 wrote:I can just picture it now …

With the obligary delegate complaining:
"If this VIP lounge was moved to Birr, the champagne would be fizzier, the hoes would be hotter and the Colombian bouncing powder would be purer".

Looks like a job for Wyatt Earp, needs to come into town and clean up Dodge.