SF Challenge, Offaly vs Laois, tonight in Mountmellick

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
black and red exile
All Star

Re: SF Challenge, Offaly vs Laois, tonight in Mountmellick

Post by black and red exile »

Have to agree with Snowy on Richie Dalton not being a full back, he has the touch of the Conor Evan's in that he stands way too far off his man and is way too easily turned, Mark Dunne was superb kicking some lovely points, I just noticed last night Tommo Deehan wasn't on the programme or I didn't see him in the subs, anybody know why he wasn't there?

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Tommo had a 21st! :roll:

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Oh right, thanks Ahlethimoutwitit, Jaysus it must have been a very early start to the 21st :?

heman
Junior A

Post by heman »

takes time to gel the hair and pick out an outfit

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Made it in for most of the game. It was open enough typical challenge game. Mark Dunne was one of Offalys better performer. Maloney was very good too. Still a work in progress though. He has potential but it will take a bit more time. Good to see him stepping up.

The laois half backs did alot of damage going forward. They were not the best defensively but our half forwards have to be more effective.

I see Tom Deehan mentioned. If Coffey is banking on the likes of Deehan and Reynolds then they are in real trouble. Leave them in supermacs.

just inn
Junior C
Club: lakes

Post by just inn »

Good comeback by Offaly after Laois ahead 10-02 during the first half. Laois to be fair were very understrength for this game with half the first choice team not playing ie Cahir Healy, Peter O leary, John O Loughlin, Brendan Quigley, Ross Munnelly, Colm Begley, Paul Cahillane and Padraig Clancy.

just inn
Junior C
Club: lakes

Post by just inn »

Good comeback by Offaly after Laois ahead 10-02 during the first half. Laois to be fair were very understrength for this game with half the first choice team not playing ie Cahir Healy, Peter O leary, John O Loughlin, Brendan Quigley, Ross Munnelly, Colm Begley, Paul Cahillane and Padraig Clancy.

Spiderman
Junior C
Club: Bridgets

Post by Spiderman »

Lads just to let ye know that the truth is deehan has or had no intentions on returning to the fold... he was approached by tom coffey but declined - every got this impression that he was returning as it was on the hoganstand but from what I know he never had intentions on returning. As for reynolds i thought he did well the other night.

offalyman18
Junior B
Club: offaly

Post by offalyman18 »

timber wrote:Made it in for most of the game. It was open enough typical challenge game. Mark Dunne was one of Offalys better performer. Maloney was very good too. Still a work in progress though. He has potential but it will take a bit more time. Good to see him stepping up.

The laois half backs did alot of damage going forward. They were not the best defensively but our half forwards have to be more effective.

I see Tom Deehan mentioned. If Coffey is banking on the likes of Deehan and Reynolds then they are in real trouble. Leave them in supermacs.
Its none of yours or anyone elses business to comment on a players personal life .... with what i have seen in the league why not call upon reynolds or deehan who have proved they can play on the big day for offaly! cant do any worse than whats been playing so far this year

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

timber wrote:Made it in for most of the game. It was open enough typical challenge game. Mark Dunne was one of Offalys better performer. Maloney was very good too. Still a work in progress though. He has potential but it will take a bit more time. Good to see him stepping up.

well in fairness they had nothing to do with offaly going down into the lowest level of football division 4 :oops:

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

In fairness, no disrespect to Tommo but he has the talent but unfortunately his atitude was the drawback. We are in Div 4 and the reality is, (thankfully!) we cant go any lower. But the only thing that can get us out of where we are at the moment will be a new atitude from the players to training, and preparation. Whatever we can salvage from this championship season will be a bonus, but the key aim has to be to build a panel that can work through the winter and be ready to make a go at getting us back up to Div 3. The issue is that Tom Coffey, whilst almost certain now to be appointed for next year, is not sure of that, and will bring back too many old heads. The big issue remains that Coffey wants to oversee the u21's and Pascal will surely want that job for next year also?

So my point is that if I put myself in to play county football, then I should be prepared to lead the life thats necessary to do the best I can. If its a case that guys who are not prepared to do that, are picked, then what message does that send out. Tommo is a guy who had one good season and appeared to many of us to dine out on that, and came and went off Offaly panels over the last few years. He is not alone, but is an example of a guy who could have done so much more in a county jersey, and whilst he had no part directly in us being in Div 4 now, his absence and atitiude, indirectly has played a role. And not just him!!

Its a worry to see that Laois had so many regulars absent too, as they would have been a far tougher proposition with them on board.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:In fairness, no disrespect to Tommo but he has the talent but unfortunately his atitude was the drawback. We are in Div 4 and the reality is, (thankfully!) we cant go any lower. But the only thing that can get us out of where we are at the moment will be a new atitude from the players to training, and preparation. Whatever we can salvage from this championship season will be a bonus, but the key aim has to be to build a panel that can work through the winter and be ready to make a go at getting us back up to Div 3. The issue is that Tom Coffey, whilst almost certain now to be appointed for next year, is not sure of that, and will bring back too many old heads. The big issue remains that Coffey wants to oversee the u21's and Pascal will surely want that job for next year also?

So my point is that if I put myself in to play county football, then I should be prepared to lead the life thats necessary to do the best I can. If its a case that guys who are not prepared to do that, are picked, then what message does that send out. Tommo is a guy who had one good season and appeared to many of us to dine out on that, and came and went off Offaly panels over the last few years. He is not alone, but is an example of a guy who could have done so much more in a county jersey, and whilst he had no part directly in us being in Div 4 now, his absence and atitiude, indirectly has played a role. And not just him!!

Its a worry to see that Laois had so many regulars absent too, as they would have been a far tougher proposition with them on board.
offaly beat a stronger laois side a few back in portlaoise under Cooney :?

Real Rob
Junior B
Club: Offaly NYC

Post by Real Rob »

What is the problem on this forum with Tomo Deehan people talking about his attitude and lifestyle the lad doesnt really drink often and never misses Clara training so just because he does not want to play with Offaly he is a bad guy and making remarks about supermacs is for fools to do and makes little of this site

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

The contempt here for Clara players is actually unbelievable. If Thomas Deehan choses not to play for Offaly then that's his decision, but to say that John Reynolds should stay in Supermacs is ridiculous. One of the top 3 forwards in Offaly club championship over 4 or 5 years.

With attitudes like that facing you can anybody blame any Clara footballer who says goodbye to Offaly to focus on winning the Dowling.

I remember Phil O'Reilly saying over my shoulder one time that he'd rather be from Westmeath than be from Clara. And he knew the group at the bar in Eugenes that day were Clara men.

No bias in Offaly? Keep telling yourselves that!

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

"And he knew the group at the bar in Eugenes that day were Clara men."

Thats our point exactly!! :roll: