Offaly Football Panel

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

I know his kick out is not his biggest strenght
Okay - so what you really meant is that its good but not very very good i suppose!

Forget the bull and politics and trying to score the last point etc(no pun intended).
Would you accept that Colin's kickout when compared to other choices is a definite draw back.
You took offense to the oneliner- okay hands up for the 3rd time !- but your above statement did kick off the conversation.
Did you expect someone to contradict you and say his kickout is great ?
Remember the statement asked "am i the only one" and no your not, but I'd have a small wager that the kickout is more a negative one at County level than you might suggest/think
By the way Colin is a very nice chap and is doing the right thing by taking time out but that is nothing to do with the topic of conversation.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

For the record, I didn't mean to imply that criticism of his kick out was unreasonable, or that the comment was. Much like the US intervening internationally to "help", I appear to have upset both sides. Remind me to run for election in 2007.
Id vote for ya (now that f..ks up your campaign seeing as the rest of north Offaly will be gunning for me.........

the bare biffo
All Star

Kickouts

Post by the bare biffo »

Lone Shark wrote:I do have trouble with a goalkeeper's kickout being rated so important. You'd have to be getting a lot of kickouts very far to make up for the three points a preventable goal can cost the team -
Don't know about that LS. Having spent many years hanging around the small parrallelogram(?) I can tell you that a poor kickout is a feckin disaster. Ya don't get a minutes rest with ball coming back towards your turf very quickly. The converse is equally true.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Barracudda,

You have mistaken a Black & Red Exile post for one of my own.Please take care in future.

I still dont see how his kickout is a failure.Granted he has bad ones,every goalie does.But jays his kickout is not that bad.Its good enough to get him onto the present Offaly football squad,thats for sure.And in comparison with Podge Kelly there is nobody in the country with as long a kickout as he has.

Anyways it doesnt matter now as he isnt on the panel anymore and even if he was he would be facing into a spring/summer of sitting on the bench as Padraig Kelly is copper fastened as Offaly's No 1 for the coming year after his performance in the County final.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Ill be going around like Mary Harney in the Health job soon- with both hands up in the air...................

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Wow i did'nt realise my Mcnamara comment would generate such great debate, im sorry to hear Colin will not be joining the panel due to family commitments but also understandable under the circumstances, and by the way Barracuda, Superman would have found it difficult with the kickouts last february in Tralee and Colin's kickout was fine against Westmeath the week before, so to be dropped for his kickout was obviously bowing down to the masses who reckon Kelly should be in for his so called super kickout despite his numerous blunders that cost us over the years.
In my opinion David Lowry should now be number one, he's big and strong and assured on the dropping ball unlike our present netminder.

mykneehurts
County player

Post by mykneehurts »

Lowry isn't being considered for goals. They are playing him in the forwards. He played midfield for the U21s against the seniors last Sunday but that was just due to players missing and injured methinks.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Kickouts and other stories

Post by Lone Shark »

If a keeper's kickout is his only drawback, is there anything inherently wrong with the old tactic of let the full back take them? He'll have plenty of time to mark up again while the ball is in the air surely?

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I'm as keen to see Lowry involved in the county setup as anyone, and think that he has great potential as both a goalie and up front in time, but for the moment, Podge is the man in possession and rightly so. Since the surgery he hasn't put a foot/hand wrong, and he forms part of a very small clique of players that are guaranteed to start next summer, barring injury.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

A keeper who can't kick a ball out isn't fit to play for the county!!!

Especially now with the use of kicking tee's goalie's have little or no excuse for not kicking the ball out well!!!

A good kickout in football is as important as a keeper whose safe under a high ball or a wonderful shot stopper because the facts are pretty simple...A keeper may have to deal with 1 or 2 high dropping balls in a game in total & may only really be expected to make 1 or 2 saves in a game....but he'll have to take some where in the region of 25 kickouts in a game!!!

The reality is, is that Paudge is in goals not just because he's got a solid kick out, he's also not as bad under a high ball as people make out(yes he's made mistakes but every goalie has) & he's also a great shot stopper!!!

I always feel that the sub keeper for a county i never actually the 2nd best keeper in the county!!!

A goalkeeper needs to be playing to keep his confidence up, a good goalie can become a bad goalie pretty quickly if he's sittin on the bench long enough!!!

David lowry for me isn't good enough to play in goals for Offaly, I think he's a good option for out the field if only for his size & free taking ability!!!

McNamara I don't think got much of a fair deal with Offaly, once Paudge came back from America, McNamara was always going to have to play send fiddle to him!!!

I often think that teams would be better off not carrying a sub keeper because as the Lone Shark has already pointed out....he's never going to get a game!!!

Does anyone know of any surprise call ups to the Offaly team?

I've only heard a few name's but they were all pretty much expected!!!
The Untouchable

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

A keeper who can't kick a ball out isn't fit to play for the county!!!

Especially now with the use of kicking tee's goalie's have little or no excuse for not kicking the ball out well!!!

A good kickout in football is as important as a keeper whose safe under a high ball or a wonderful shot stopper because the facts are pretty simple...A keeper may have to deal with 1 or 2 high dropping balls in a game in total & may only really be expected to make 1 or 2 saves in a game....but he'll have to take some where in the region of 25 kickouts in a game!!!

The reality is, is that Paudge is in goals not just because he's got a solid kick out, he's also not as bad under a high ball as people make out(yes he's made mistakes but every goalie has) & he's also a great shot stopper!!!

I always feel that the sub keeper for a county i never actually the 2nd best keeper in the county!!!

A goalkeeper needs to be playing to keep his confidence up, a good goalie can become a bad goalie pretty quickly if he's sittin on the bench long enough!!!

David lowry for me isn't good enough to play in goals for Offaly, I think he's a good option for out the field if only for his size & free taking ability!!!

McNamara I don't think got much of a fair deal with Offaly, once Paudge came back from America, McNamara was always going to have to play second fiddle to him!!!

I often think that teams would be better off not carrying a sub keeper because as the Lone Shark has already pointed out....he's never going to get a game!!!

Does anyone know of any surprise call ups to the Offaly team?

I've only heard a few name's but they were all pretty much expected!!!
The Untouchable