U21 Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lean Times
County player

U21 Championship

Post by Lean Times »

Kicked off today lads. I only have 2 results to hand:

Tullamore 4-21 K/K 0-4
St. Vincents 6-23 St. Broughans 1-8

Anyone have any other results?

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Re: U21 Championship

Post by puzzled »

Lean Times wrote:Kicked off today lads. I only have 2 results to hand:

Tullamore 4-21 K/K 0-4
St. Vincents 6-23 St. Broughans 1-8

Anyone have any other results?
Shamrocks 0-13 Na Fianna 3-8

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

St. Manchan's Gaels 1-15 Durrow 0-8

Unrealbanter
Junior B
Club: Tullamore

Post by Unrealbanter »

Anyone know how the matches went today?

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

St Brigids/Clonmore/Rhode defeated Edenderry. Clara were defeated by Ferbane/Birr

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

st michaels hammered st patricks. 2-16 to 0-06 i think. edenderry had 5 or 6 seniors from the team that won the senior championship last year and 3 or 4 offaly under 21s what went wrong here

heman
Junior A

Post by heman »

st micheals have a very good team this yr,missed a couple of bad wides in the first half but kicked on and turned on the style in the 2nd half. st patricks were very poor,didnt look interested at all.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

kingscounty wrote:st michaels hammered st patricks. 2-16 to 0-06 i think. edenderry had 5 or 6 seniors from the team that won the senior championship last year and 3 or 4 offaly under 21s what went wrong here
In fairness while Edenderry might have had guys with senior experience, these games are often decided as much by the last five names on the teamsheet as the first five, and Rhode/Croghan/Clonmore have great depth at this level. Edenderry wouldn't to the same extent, they'd have a few very solid minors but I'd guess Michaels had very few if any minors playing today, simply because they have more than enough lads of the right age.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sniper
Junior B

Post by Sniper »

In fairness while Edenderry might have had guys with senior experience, these games are often decided as much by the last five names on the teamsheet as the first five, and Rhode/Croghan/Clonmore have great depth at this level. Edenderry wouldn't to the same extent, they'd have a few very solid minors but I'd guess Michaels had very few if any minors playing today, simply because they have more than enough lads of the right age.
You are correct Loneshark. Edenderry had a good few guys with senior experience but so did St Michaels. Anton Sull, Eoin Rigney (both played for Offaly the day before),Jake Kavanagh and 2 Mc Paddens, while Croghans Cian Donoghue and Brickland would also have senior experience. The rest of the Michaels team would have played in the intermediate final last year(for either Brigids or Rhode) except for Clonmores Philip Foy(who was centre back for SME on Saturday in croker). This particular vintage won the first of back to back minor titles for Ród óg and the only minor that played yesterday was SME captain and midfielder Conor McNamee who came on a sub.

Rhode narrowly defeated a strong Clara team in that minor final. The same Clara group took a bit of pasting from Ferbane yesterday. Are we seeing the emergence of these talented Ferbane youngsters into senior stardom already Loneshark?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Sniper wrote: Rhode narrowly defeated a strong Clara team in that minor final. The same Clara group took a bit of pasting from Ferbane yesterday. Are we seeing the emergence of these talented Ferbane youngsters into senior stardom already Loneshark?
It's a long way to senior stardom from being good young footballers. In fairness this match was probably similar to the Rhode/Edenderry situation in that while both squads had some key players - indeed Clara had two starters on the county under-21 team whereas we had none - but there would be good depth in that Wheery squad. I'd safely say that two or three of our subs would have got a start if they were with Clara, and pretty much most of our team has either played senior club already or will do this summer. Of course that's a reflection of the higher standard of Clara's seniors too, but we have a reasonable amount of depth right now.

Of course there's a big gap between that and beating a Rhode team who would have a lot of depth as well as the big names. Still not a bad place to be, that said.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i think its a joke Rhode having other clubs in with them they are strong enough to put a team out in under 21, let Croghan and clonmore go together
what was there 6 or 7 on the offaly under 21 team this year from st.micheals.

before anyone come on and say why are st.Brendans together as well don't agree their either Birr have enough in a town to field an under 21 team
let carrick and Crinkle go together at underage.

why aren't we say the likes of Gracefield not asked to go in with walsh island or the st. Broughans side if Croghan Rhode are together doesn't part of gracefield
run to walsh island and.

Gracefield hurl with seir kierans in under 21 sure to god the young footballers of gracefield i know they are B level i think should get the chance to play some club
beside them, Birr lads playing with Ferbane.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Townman - you are a joke!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

townman wrote:i think its a joke Rhode having other clubs in with them they are strong enough to put a team out in under 21, let Croghan and clonmore go together
what was there 6 or 7 on the offaly under 21 team this year from st.micheals.

before anyone come on and say why are st.Brendans together as well don't agree their either Birr have enough in a town to field an under 21 team
let carrick and Crinkle go together at underage.

why aren't we say the likes of Gracefield not asked to go in with walsh island or the st. Broughans side if Croghan Rhode are together doesn't part of gracefield
run to walsh island and.

Gracefield hurl with seir kierans in under 21 sure to god the young footballers of gracefield i know they are B level i think should get the chance to play some club
beside them, Birr lads playing with Ferbane.
Clonmore is one or two players a year at best. Croghan might have four or five - no chance whatsoever of them putting out a team. I'm sure Rhode would be happy to go by themselves if the system required it, but they're hardly going to refuse permission players from elsewhere, and it's all parish sides over there anyway.

It's the same as St Brendans. If Crinkle/C&R have enough between them and choose to go seperately, I'm sure Birr would be happy to let them off - but they don't, and they have to play somewhere.

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Wins for Ballycumber/Tubber over Edenderry and St. Vincents over Na Fianna at the weekend in the Q/Fs. Anybody know how Rhode and Tullamore faired last night?

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Heard it was abandoned due to flooded pitch?