Offaly v Sligo NFL 25/03/2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly v Sligo

Post by Lone Shark »

happy harry wrote:loneshark im curious as to what starting 15 u would start against kildare ?
your head seems to be screwed on and your usually on the ball.
Truth be told, due to other commitments this year I haven't seen as much football as I'd like at senior level and I missed last Sunday for one. I could hazard a guess but I'd probably be a bit unfair to somebody somewhere along the line.
Long John wrote: But the lads that have been drafted in are very poor. Its sends out the wrong signal to other players in the county. Id much prefer to see some more under 21s getting a run than these lads being brought in. They are getting well bet in most games as it is. It couldnt be any worse to give them a go.
I'll be the first to admit that neither have caught my eye in the few times I've seen them, however I'd disagree utterly that it sends out the wrong signal. Lads being called into the county panel and refusing to come in - now that's a wrong signal, and we've had too much of that. These lads have come in, supposedly worked hard, and if they're not considered up to the grade, management will shake their hands and thank them for their time, as should be the case. Off the top of my head I can think of plenty of poorer lads who got sustained runs with the team in recent years.

The under-21's had a good run, but let's not get carried away. That was a very poor Meath team they beat, a good Kildare side but still one without a lot of footballing instinct, and their best player against Louth was a minor. I'd certainly bring a few in but it's foolish to think that they'll be the salvation of the team. They played well, they deserve credit, but the physical step up to senior is huge and while some are ready, we already have plenty of them in there and it would be no harm giving a bit more time to a few others.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Long John
All Star

Re: Offaly v Sligo

Post by Long John »

Lone Shark wrote:I'll be the first to admit that neither have caught my eye in the few times I've seen them, however I'd disagree utterly that it sends out the wrong signal. Lads being called into the county panel and refusing to come in - now that's a wrong signal, and we've had too much of that. These lads have come in, supposedly worked hard, and if they're not considered up to the grade, management will shake their hands and thank them for their time, as should be the case. Off the top of my head I can think of plenty of poorer lads who got sustained runs with the team in recent years.

The under-21's had a good run, but let's not get carried away. That was a very poor Meath team they beat, a good Kildare side but still one without a lot of footballing instinct, and their best player against Louth was a minor. I'd certainly bring a few in but it's foolish to think that they'll be the salvation of the team. They played well, they deserve credit, but the physical step up to senior is huge and while some are ready, we already have plenty of them in there and it would be no harm giving a bit more time to a few others.
I agree with your point about some players getting called in but turning down the invitation. Alot of good potential has been missed because of that and I would not argue with that one bit. It is a pity.

Poorer players getting sustained runs - yes totally agree too. Alot of rubbish players have been thrown an Offaly jersey in recent years. Players many of you on here have probably played against and would not rate too highly. Management can only answer that one.

The u21s - You have taken me up wrong here. Yes they had a decent run but I was not getting carried away about their abilities. It was a very average team but a group that worked hard as a team. I was not saying that most of them should be thrown in, but that surely there is two more players from that team that would be better than these two Dubs in the "panel". Id much prefer to see a couple of u21s get a few runs and learn the trade at this level. I see nothing in these lads from Dublin. Believe me theres alot of crap footballers in Dublin club sides as well.

horrible player
Junior C

Re: Offaly v Sligo NFL 25/03/2012

Post by horrible player »

what u21's are good enough for the call up...stuart cullen ,stephen hannon , mark young are any of these even good enough...we'll be relegated and it's what we deserve

happy harry
Intermediate

Post by happy harry »

Long John with all your criticisms I'd love to hear your team, what would you do?
The Dublin argument is a complicated one and would tend to feel iff they have a real desire to play for Offaly and would add to the panel then yes ,
You said our forward are crap. What forwards would u have ?

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Happy harry, I did not say the forwards "are" crap. I said they "were" crap at the weekend. The difference is I do think they have some football in them but they are playing as individuals and the end product is a crap performance. Some of them dont know when to pass a ball, and others just wont pass a ball. Hopefully some of this can be coached out of them.

I would not say I am over critical. Did you or anybody see any positives from the game. Being realistic division 4 is their standard based on the performances to date. Offaly club football standard has dropped quiet a bit in the last 2 or 3 years and being honest I think lads are in a comfort zone because theres no need to worry about losing their place. I do admire them giving there time to intercounty football but without players pushing eachother for places the preparation is miles behind other counties.

clubman
Junior A

Post by clubman »

no your not being over critical,long john.offaly were very poor on sunday and could have lost by alot more than 2 points .i was at all the games bar the cavan game an they were poor in all of them.as for the two dublin lads,if they want to play and are willing to put in the hard work,then they should get the same chance as every one else. i was not a big fan of gerry cooney at the start but when he got the job he should be given a chance to get things in place,this could take a few year for him to build the team he wants,but he might not get that long.i would not get to carried away with they u21 either,they done well but played a defencive game that meant no team would score much,getting as far as they did playing that type of football doesnt make them jump on to the senior team and be great players.gerry cooney will need time to shape these players into his plans.if we can get the right mix we might have a decent team.also dont lose hope ,were not in devision 4 yet.

Offaly Proud
Junior A
Club: clara

Post by Offaly Proud »

A bit harsh I think on Hanamy and Boland who played full games in Cavan the previous Sunday and in fairness with 14 men for the second half they played ok in my opinion. Not sure they are good enough having said that but I heard they are both training hard. As for Sean Pender he has been poor in the 3 games I saw him this year. Not sure what's going on there but he is either unfit or unhappy. Heard after that Derek Kelly came off injured at half time.Maybe Mickey Brazil could do a job at 11 as he looked lively enough when he came on. Midfield was disappointing after playing well in Cavan.