Offaly Minors

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
the Untouchable
All Star

Re: Offaly Minors

Post by the Untouchable »

I
So how'd you get started at the goalkeeping yourself?
I'm not sure if me being a namesake of former Meath goalkeeper Mickey McQuillan ever got me the number 1 jersey...I know my performances out the field probably made it easier for a manager struggling to get 15 lads together to play me in goals!!
The Untouchable

banjo
Junior C

Post by banjo »

Anyone know if Offaly minors won today and what was the team

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

banjo wrote:Anyone know if Offaly minors won today and what was the team
They won by 5 points against Wicklow in Arklow. Unfortunately they will not progress from the group even though they were undefeated! Their score difference was inferior to that of Dublin. A 24 point victory today was what was required to progress! Offaly cannot have much complaints from their 3 league games, wins over westmeath and wicklow and a draw with the dubs. Hopefully they can push on now, work hard before the championship, see off kilkenny and perhaps get a favourable home draw.

Unrealbanter
Junior B
Club: Tullamore

Post by Unrealbanter »

The offaly minors are due to play on friday evening v kilkenny, any one know what time and where its on?Was team named yet?

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

Unrealbanter wrote:The offaly minors are due to play on friday evening v kilkenny, any one know what time and where its on?Was team named yet?
Its on in Ballyragget. Don't expect the pitch to be lined or flags to be out. Went to the senior football final there in november and the pitch wasn't marked and the flags only went out at half time.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Half seven throw in.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Must have been difficult to get the team together as much as you'd like over the past month or so, with the schools activity surely getting first call on the Gallen and SME lads. Still, it's not such a bad headache to have to overcome.
Of more concern would be the fact that this isn't really a true championship match. If I were management, I would organise a game against a strong county asap after this game. Have it at an away venue, make sure the other team are lining out their best team too, get the intensity high before the game, only bring on the regular amount of subs, etc. Although you can't replicate championship, do everything you can to get the lads focused and used to an intense pace asap.
Good luck to them

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

County board release regarding the team for tonight

Offaly MinorTeam to play Kilkenny Leinster Minor Football Championship 2012

1 Conor Clancy St Rynaghs
2 Aaron O Connell Edenderry
3 Jordan Quinn Kilcormac/Killoughey
4 Darragh Corbett Shannonbridge
5 Eoin Carroll Capincur
6 Luke Kelly Clara
7 Brian Grehan Ferbane
8 Ciaran Cahill Ferbane
9 Conor McNamee Rhode
10 Peter Cunningham (c) Bracknagh
11 Joe Maher Ferbane
12 Mark Kirwan Gracefield
13 Johnny Kavanagh Tullamore
14 Shane Lawless Gracefield
15 Richie Reynolds Raheen
16 Cormac Hurley Edenderry
17 Sean Moriarity Edenderry
18 Ruairí McNamee Rhode
19 Oisin Cusack Durrow
20 Declan Byrne Raheen
21 Niall Dempsey Raheen
22 Ryan Delaney Erin Rovers
23 Peter O Neill Edenderry
24 Padraig Brazil Tullamore
25 Eoghan Lowry Ferbane
26 Thomas Brereton Walsh Island

Management: John Ryan (Birr)
Selectors: Ger Keyes (Shamrocks), John Murray (Ballycumber)
Secretary: Tommy Byrne (Gracefield)

The Offaly minor football team to face Kilkenny tonight in Ballyragget in the first round of the Leinster championship has been named, and it features five players who started last year’s Leinster championship quarter final against Kildare in O’Connor Park. Those five players include Peter Cunningham and Ciarán Cahill, who have been nominated as captain and vice captain respectively. Cunningham will be playing his third year of minor football for Offaly and last month he also made the step up to under-21 level, scoring five points after he came off the bench against Louth in the Leinster semi-final.

In all, twelve different clubs are represented in the starting fifteen, while there are four players from reigning minor football champions Ferbane/Belmont, three from the Ferbane club and Gallen captain Darragh Corbett who will line out with Shannonbridge later this summer at adult level.

Conor McNamee, who last Saturday captain St Marys to Hogan Cup success, lines out at midfield alongside Cahill, renewing the partnership that was forged in last year’s minor championship. Four of his St Marys colleagues, Cormac Hurley, Seán Moriarty, Peter O’Neill and his brother Ruairí will start on the bench while Aaron O’Connell is the sole Edenderry club man to make the starting line up, filling the right corner back berth.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

This draw has the potential to be a disaster for this team. Its a game to be gotten out of the way and try to have a couple of strong challenge games lined up over the next couple of weeks.
Often the back door route has allowed teams to develop and has served us well, however we will have to plough on this way and as long as the team is well managed in the lead up to the next game then it should be ok.
Interesting only one Edenderry player has made it on to the team, but I presume some of the lads involvement in this panels preps have been curtailed by the success of Edenderry.
It looks like a strong panel and Kildare & Dublin look like the main threats.
Best of luck in the coming campaign to all!

Unrealbanter
Junior B
Club: Tullamore

Post by Unrealbanter »

A good team, very suprised young macnamee and
Moriarty not on the starting 15 ! Best of luck to all involved

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

I assume Aaron McDonagh is overage for Minor this year?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Yeah, Aaron's over. There's a few very nice footballers in that window of 1-6 months overage, young enough for schools but too old for minor, but then I'd imagine that's the case every year.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

really looking forward to seeing how cunningham from bracknagh does , he played great against louth in the under 21 and hopefully he will light this minor team up

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

8.30 to 1.0. Waste of time.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Waste of time is right. At least I hope all possible subs got a long run out?
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.