AFL Trials

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lean Times
County player

AFL Trials

Post by Lean Times »

Anybody see the papers today that Offaly's Eoin Carroll was involved with Tadgh Kennelly's AFL camp in Dublin along with 13 other players? A testimony to his potential but Offaly need this kind of a player for the future.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: AFL Trials

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

We need Noel Andrew too, but he wont train with U21s!

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:We need Noel Andrew too, but he wont train with U21s!
Any reason why not, college? exams? just couldn't be arsed?

We don't all know the full story so a bit of info on this would be nice!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Lean Times wrote:Anybody see the papers today that Offaly's Eoin Carroll was involved with Tadgh Kennelly's AFL camp in Dublin along with 13 other players? A testimony to his potential but Offaly need this kind of a player for the future.
I've often heard this debate from people doom-mongering about the AFL and the GAA's involvement, and certainly it's understandable that people would want to see a player of Eoin Carroll's potential available to Offaly for as long as possible, however in the greater scheme of things, the AFL is a very small threat and one that is a huge distraction which is taking attention away from the real issues that stop people playing gaelic games.

Let's look at it this way - in the past fix or six seasons, we've had over 100 footballers play championship at minor level for Offaly. Now ask yourself of that hundered odd:

(1) How many just lost interest due to a fondness for the bar stool?
(2) How many had to emigrate due to lack of working opportunities?
(3) How many are trapped having to work long or unsocial hours due to the lack of good working opportunities?
(4) How many are suffering from persistent injuries due to ill-advised training techniques and over-training?

And we contrast all that with Aussie Rules, which takes maybe six or seven guys out of all of Ireland every year, the majority of whom are back in the country before they turn 23 and have if anything become better footballers for their time abroad.

It's unlucky for the club involved that loses a key player, but in the greater scheme of things, the AFL is not a problem that we should be worried about.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I suppose the main source of disappointment for a lot of people who are anti this type of recruitment is that the ones who are picked by the AFL are the ones that are less likely to be lost to a barstool. They are the ones that are coming up through the ranks and have been earmarked by the county as a real prospect for years. I would say that very few would begrudge the player the chance to be a professional athlete but at the same time there is always the sense of loss for the club/county in the immediate term (even if they generally return some years later as stronger/better players, who can ultimately help their teammates by advising on how to prepare like a professional).

I think the AFL could really gain some more admirers if they made some contribution to the home club/county if the player makes it onto the first team. I know they are not obliged to do this and he was never under any contract with them, but it would be a symbolic gesture of thanks for rearing this kid for us that could make us lots of money and has bettered our squad.

I wouldn't have much problem with any lad going out to give it a try in Australia. Best of luck to Eoin if that is what he chooses to do.

Deadandgone
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Deadandgone »

Noel andrew class act all rite. A very good hurler too. Does not seem to have the commitment which is a pity.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

I see Westmeath's john heslin is returning from Australia.
just shows it is a huge step up, and a long way away from home.
only the best...

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Noel Andrew supposed to be going to the states for the Summer, but apparently had issues with the committment and level of training required for the U21's.#
When you look at the list elsewhere on this site of the list of players who cant/wont commit to the Senior panel, then its a little unfair to criticise the lads who are in there now doing there best to get up to speed of intercounty.

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Further progress for Eoin Carroll, selected for a European squad for an Easter Series tournament in April.

http://www.afleurope.org/assets/Selecte ... s_2012.jpg