Another crisis in Offaly football

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Another crisis in Offaly football

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

From the Sindo
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 17068.html
Meanwhile, speculation that Gerry Cooney's tenure at the helm of Offaly senior footballers is already nearing an end was rubbished by county board chairman Pat Teehan last night.

Local reports suggested that Cooney, who only took charge of the Faithful County last November, could see his term end with defeat at the hands of Roscommon later today.

A team meeting was held last Tuesday night in which management and players both aired their grievances, but chairman Teehan totally dismissed the suggestion that Cooney could walk away from the position.

"That's absolute rubbish and it's the first I've heard of it," Teehan said. "There's absolutely nothing in that. Yes, we went down badly last week, but the team is depleted at the moment and we are down a number of players. And yes, a meeting was held during the week but that's the norm for any team after a defeat like that."
Are these guys unmanageable?

Reading between the lines, Pat Teehan says “That's absolute rubbish and it's the first I've heard of it" and follows up with. "There's absolutely nothing in that”. Er, if it’s the first you’ve heard of it how can you be sure there’s nothing in it? We can take it from this that there is, in fact, an issue.

As for the players, leadership on the pitch might be an issue, but there’s no lack of leadership off the field. So that’s the player leadership issue put to bed then.

So who’ll wear the bainisteoir’s bib for the next round of the league?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Another crisis in Offaly football

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Ginger Stewart was wearing the Bainisteoir bib today and Cooney was up in the media tower. Either way it made little difference as the performance was sub-standard.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

This has been a shambles since they shafted Paul O'Kelly. How many managers have we had since 2003? Jesus we're a laughing stock. And it seems to be the default setting that the players 'have problems' with the management team. Who exactly would they not have problems with?
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

They would'nt give the right man the job 'Stephen Darby' so f~~k the lot of them, we should pull out of the leinster like Kilkenny do because Kildare will kick them back to Offaly. This must be the worst team in our history, Rhode would put up a better showing than this lot.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd be interested to hear from people who have clear memories of where we were in the early 1990's, in the pre-Lyons era. The results look horrendous on paper, but unless you were there it's hard to really speak with any authority on the subject. Either way it's fair to say that things are pretty bad at the moment.

As for the substantive issue, I may end up looking foolish on this because I haven't actually spoken with anyone on the inside, but I'd be amazed if there was any meat on this story. Gerry Cooney might not be a charismatic individual, but he has a good managerial record in Meath and was well respected when he was in Offaly previously. Also, this is largely a new group of players, so you'd imagine that while it has made for horrendous viewing, it would be naive to presume that there wouldn't be any teething problems in the early stages. However none of this excuses what look to be some baffling decisions tactically, such as picking Alan Mulhall at full forward to look on, while Bernard Allen gets a creak in his neck from looking up at high balls dropping down on his head.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

The results pre Tommy Lyons were poor, that's there for all to see. But we are in a worse situation now no question. I remember following Offaly as a young Chap in this period and the comparison between squads is negligible. The early 90s team was poor from an Offaly perspective, ten years after beating the great Kerry whereas the team i watched on Sunday would be considered a weak team for inter county be it a Carlow team or London etc.

Without seeming too sentimental towards the 90s team it must be pointed out who was on that team. Brendan Lowry, Pauric Dunne, Peter Brady, V Claffey. No comparison.

I remember half back lines containing Pauric Moran, Cullen and Coffey.

The early to mid 90s was a blip which we quickly remedied. That is not the case this time.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Football is in a crisis of sorts at the moment. But lets be realistic here, we need to give this management some time and space in order to put their plans into action. Our big issue is the structures in place throughout the clubs scene and down into underage. The CB have taken some steps along with the supporters club to address the issues in secondary school and need to look at the quality of coaching and encouragement of football that is taking place in primary schools.

Some points:
* Clubs need to get their house in order re keeping players focussed for the off season, and more coaching and player development needs to take place, (no cuteness in Offaly football re a bit of gamesmanship, proper marking, clever forward play, comfort with both feet, etc
* CB needs to engage with clubs and offer some support as to the type of fitness levels and standards required
* People need to get involved in their clubs and help out, I asked this question before here and maybe someone could set up a survey as to how many users of the site are
a) Member of a club,
b) Coaching underage in their club
c) Regulaer attenders of county matches (League 3/4 per year, 1 away game , and championship)
d) Regular attenders of their clubs games (Championship games)

In my view if ye are not doing a, c,d, then you have no great interest. Or you could do b) and not involve in the other side of things.

The reality is, as regards underage coaching things are improving, however in many cases there are too many parents involved who have little or no experience of playing. I am involved and your head would be wrecked trying to create a bit of drive amongst some of these "coaches".
There are a lot who's sole aim of being involved is to win an u12, 14, 16 championship, not the fact that their jobs are to create a desire for as many players as possible to develop a love of football, proper training, looking after themselves , and developing as part of a team.

When I see the atitude of many of the players who come from the underage set up I feel they have been let down, why? Its that they see football as a chore, and an interference with their social lives, and a good part of this is due to poor coaching .

Football is a competitive sport, but must be enjoyable, and we should have players coming through the clubs that can use both feet, know how to look after themselves in every sense, enjoy the training and being part of the team, and are proud to put in the effort for their clubs. On the other side, clubs must get regular games, look after their players , ensure their coach is COACHING, and not just blowing a whistle and looking at a stopwatch! And the club needs to create a range of activities in order to look after the needs of all members.

There is definitely the makings of a thesis on Offaly GAA for anyone in college with an interest!

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Football is in a crisis of sorts at the moment. But lets be realistic here, we need to give this management some time and space in order to put their plans into action. Our big issue is the structures in place throughout the clubs scene and down into underage. The CB have taken some steps along with the supporters club to address the issues in secondary school and need to look at the quality of coaching and encouragement of football that is taking place in primary schools.

Some points:
* Clubs need to get their house in order re keeping players focussed for the off season, and more coaching and player development needs to take place, (no cuteness in Offaly football re a bit of gamesmanship, proper marking, clever forward play, comfort with both feet, etc
* CB needs to engage with clubs and offer some support as to the type of fitness levels and standards required
* People need to get involved in their clubs and help out, I asked this question before here and maybe someone could set up a survey as to how many users of the site are
a) Member of a club,
b) Coaching underage in their club
c) Regulaer attenders of county matches (League 3/4 per year, 1 away game , and championship)
d) Regular attenders of their clubs games (Championship games)

In my view if ye are not doing a, c,d, then you have no great interest. Or you could do b) and not involve in the other side of things.

The reality is, as regards underage coaching things are improving, however in many cases there are too many parents involved who have little or no experience of playing. I am involved and your head would be wrecked trying to create a bit of drive amongst some of these "coaches".
There are a lot who's sole aim of being involved is to win an u12, 14, 16 championship, not the fact that their jobs are to create a desire for as many players as possible to develop a love of football, proper training, looking after themselves , and developing as part of a team.

When I see the atitude of many of the players who come from the underage set up I feel they have been let down, why? Its that they see football as a chore, and an interference with their social lives, and a good part of this is due to poor coaching .

Football is a competitive sport, but must be enjoyable, and we should have players coming through the clubs that can use both feet, know how to look after themselves in every sense, enjoy the training and being part of the team, and are proud to put in the effort for their clubs. On the other side, clubs must get regular games, look after their players , ensure their coach is COACHING, and not just blowing a whistle and looking at a stopwatch! And the club needs to create a range of activities in order to look after the needs of all members.

There is definitely the makings of a thesis on Offaly GAA for anyone in college with an interest!
The most logical post I've read here in years...Quite simply, what is stated above goes a long way towards highlighing the majority of the problems and solutions to our current crisis

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

yep a sensible post

However, the priorities of clubs have to be questioned in a lot of cases

A GAA club should be run as a means for people to primarily play GAA sports, at a level they wish to play at - Under 10, minor, junior C, senior or whatever

However, most modern GAA clubs are run and focussed on winning titles and silverware at all costs

Is that the measure of a successful GAA club?
only the best...

Offaly Proud
Junior A
Club: clara

Post by Offaly Proud »

Heard an interesting thing today. Apart from Cieran Mc, Scott Brady and John Reynolds who were not asked back there was a big group of guys who were asked and wouldn't or couldn't give the commitment including Ger Rafferty, Conor Evans, Stepher Lonergan, Matt Mitchell, Karol Slatts, John Coughlan, Joe Quinn, Padraig Bracken, Sean Ryan, Tommo Deehan and Sean Casey. That's a team in itself. Maybe that's half the problem! On a positive note heard that Brian Connir, Alan Mc Namee and Nialler were back training thus week.

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Offaly Proud wrote:Heard an interesting thing today. Apart from Cieran Mc, Scott Brady and John Reynolds who were not asked back there was a big group of guys who were asked and wouldn't or couldn't give the commitment including Ger Rafferty, Conor Evans, Stepher Lonergan, Matt Mitchell, Karol Slatts, John Coughlan, Joe Quinn, Padraig Bracken, Sean Ryan, Tommo Deehan and Sean Casey. That's a team in itself. Maybe that's half the problem! On a positive note heard that Brian Connir, Alan Mc Namee and Nialler were back training thus week.

B. Connor not going back to play ball in Boston for the summer though with Noel Andrew Graham?

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Question for the footballing crowd on this forum – did any of ye think it was odd that GC went off for that charity trip to Africa as an incumbent intercounty manager during a platying season?

Personally I thought it was odd (although I’ve a huge amount of respect for anyone who does those kind of things).

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Another crisis

Cooney on the brink
12 March 2012

Offaly football manager Gerry CooneyGerry Cooney is on the verge of becoming the first managerial casualty of the season after the Offaly footballers were hammered by Wexford.

Cooney, who has been in charge of the Faithful County for only four months, is understood to have met with county board officials after yesterday's 2-5 to 1-21 defeat in Tullamore. It was Offaly's fourth loss of the campaign and leaves them pointless at the bottom of Division 3 and destined for Division 4 with a -38 score difference.

There have been rumours of the unrest in the Offaly camp since early in the season and one Sunday newspaper even reported last month that Cooney had resigned.

If the Meath man parts company with the Faithful, Pascal Kelleghan - who has led the Offaly U21s to fine back-to-back victories over Meath and Kildare in the Leinster championship - could be asked to replace him on an interim basis.

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

Not trying to be overly harsh on the players but, have we actually got to the stage where they are now unmanageable or are we just this bad? We've been relatively competitive at underage in recent times so we must have some sort of talent pool lurking somewhere! Looking at it from outside the camp, I've been of the opinion in recent years that for alot of lads on the panel, getting on the panel is viewed as the achievement and they're not overly bothered with results. I know it's easy say things like that from the terrace but that's how it appears.

As regards mention of Paschal as a replacement (even in an interim capacity), I wouldn't like to see it. He's doing a good job with the 21s and they look organised and enthusiastic and look to have a decent chance of making a Leinster final. Based on what he done with Ballinabrackey and now the 21s, and he was always an intelligent player in terms of vision and awareness, I think he will make a good senior manager some day in the not too distant future. For this reason, I believe it would be a pity to taint him in any way by being involved in the current mess.

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

The following is the Offaly Management Committee elected at County Convention on Thursday December 8th 2011

Position      Name E-mail Address                                                       Club

Chairperson Pat Teehan
chairperson.offaly@gaa.ie

Coolderry

Vice Chairperson Padraig Boland Ferbane

Secretary Martin Boland 
secretary.offaly@gaa.ie

Raheen 

Assistant Secretary Tommy Byrne fixtures.offaly@gaa.ie Gracefield

Treasurer Jimmy Hogan Birr

Assistant Treasurer Andy Gallagher Tullamore

P.R.O. Niall Murphy
pro.offaly@gaa.ie

Rhode

Central Council Rep. Joe O'Brien Drumcullen

Leinster Council Reps (2)
Martin Boland
Bill Kavanagh
secretary.offaly@gaa.ie

Raheen
Kilclonfert

Development Officer Maureen Kincaid    Shamrocks 

Childrens Officer Damien White  Kilcormac/Killoughey

Irish Officer Mary Dooley Ballyskenagh

Coaching Officer Pat Cleary Ballinamere
From a purely footballing point of view I think there might need to be a more balanced county board and maybe get a few lads in there that actually have an insight into the modern game