Offaly Senior Inter County Hurling 2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Deadandgone
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Re: Offaly Senior Inter County Hurling 2012

Post by Deadandgone »

Good idea. Hope u get enough candles. Back to hurling. Dempsey in goals kenny full back rory centre. Mahon and franks mid field. Bergin centre foward and molloy full foward. Good spine to team. Fill in the wings then. Watkins. Egan. Mac donald in corners. Morkan and horan on wings. Fowards from dooley parlon murray carroll murphy. Hayden. Get them fit. Get them playin together on regular basis and we mite go some where.

Deadandgone
Intermediate

Post by Deadandgone »

Sorry for got rigney who was brill y day. Midfield r wing back. And colin egan and sean ryan in fowards. Prob missin a few more.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:We're not. There's going to be a candlelight vigil outside the pitch in Birr on the evening Offaly are hurling Wexford in OCP in May (or is it June?).
Deadandgone wrote:Lads awhen r we goin to stop this tullamore ground v birr ground. Tullamore is the county ground now and birr is still a club ground. Every club can have a rite to have county games played then but insurance and health and safety r all part of it now.
no the championship game again wexford should be in tullamore as it would hold a bigger crowd, no one is saying in should be in Birr POTH
what some are saying the like of the walsh cup or a few league game's might be played there.

kilkenny played the walsh cup games in Comer,Freshford, they are not county grounds, leix would also play walsh cup and have played league games in Rathdowney
Tipp have hurl offaly last year and over the year's in McDonagh park Nenagh and thats not the county ground.

i think you would get more in Banagher and Birr watching walsh cup and even league games than the 100 people that were in tullamore last sunday
you would see more at a ringing of a pig than were in tullamore last sunday, and if you can't see that thats if you were there POTH you should go to spect saver's. :roll:

Deadandgone
Intermediate

Post by Deadandgone »

The more games they hurlers play in tullamore the better. It is a big pitch and they need to get used to it. I thought d.i.t used the ball well last sunday finding their men well with 20_ 30 yard passes and supported each other well. Offaly at times just got it and drove it down the field and this suited d.i.t. When offaly picked out one another and joe bergin came out to wing foward they played more as a team.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Deadandgone wrote:The more games they hurlers play in tullamore the better. It is a big pitch and they need to get used to it. I thought d.i.t used the ball well last sunday finding their men well with 20_ 30 yard passes and supported each other well. Offaly at times just got it and drove it down the field and this suited d.i.t. When offaly picked out one another and joe bergin came out to wing foward they played more as a team.
but sure they are 6 years out of playing games in ST.Brendans park they must know tullamore by now , i don't think a field makes a difference
just look at the footballers they play most games in tullamore but are in Division 3 for god knows how long and could even drop down a division.

i wouldn't look to much into last sunday Deadandgone as offaly were missing quiet a lot of players who could be there come championship time again
Wexford . the ground was very soft sunday with it hard to get the ball up as the ref had to throw it in a good few times as players walked on the ball.

agree with Joe going out to the half forward line make a difference as did James Rigney who found a man every time he was on the ball.

Deadandgone
Intermediate

Post by Deadandgone »

My point is that a team playin together on a regular basis on the same pitch week in week out it will stand to them. Tullamore is a big pitch compared to banagher so if they were playin in banagher every week and then went and played in tullamore it is a big diff. What players r missin at the moment townman. They need to be hurlin. I remember tommy lyons would have to see a guy improve his fitness over 4 to 6 weeks before he would even consider him and at that he would be introduced as a sub first.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Deadandgone wrote:My point is that a team playin together on a regular basis on the same pitch week in week out it will stand to them. Tullamore is a big pitch compared to banagher so if they were playin in banagher every week and then went and played in tullamore it is a big diff. What players r missin at the moment townman. They need to be hurlin. I remember tommy lyons would have to see a guy improve his fitness over 4 to 6 weeks before he would even consider him and at that he would be introduced as a sub first.
well David Frank's, Paul Cleary, Dylan Hayden, Stephen Egan, Del Morkham, haven't seen action well Egan did in a friendly again Galway, Shane Dooley, Horan, Eanna Murphy,
haven't hurl much in the last two game's Horan was missing on sunday could be hurt or sick don't know.

add in about maybe 7 Coolderry players that could be the call in after the club is over you still have a lot of players Ollie Baker has to look at which is good
as i said we have a good panel to work with if all are fit and hurling it will be hard to pick 15 which is a good problem to have :D

Deadandgone
Intermediate

Post by Deadandgone »

I dont know about 7 coolderry lads. Murray ryan and parlon. S egan out with groin injury was not playin again galway. All teams now play their best team at this time of the year. The more games lads get the better they will get as a team. Example david kenny at full back gettin better with every game.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Deadandgone wrote:I dont know about 7 coolderry lads. Murray ryan and parlon. S egan out with groin injury was not playin again galway. All teams now play their best team at this time of the year. The more games lads get the better they will get as a team. Example david kenny at full back gettin better with every game.
i have seen offalys 3 games this year Deadandgone and Brian Carroll of Coolderry will be a half forward this year, there is also Trevor Corcoran Joe and kevin Brady
young goalkeeper Stephen corcoran has been good and played a great game again tipp a few week's ago.

your point on Dave Kenny at fullback he is there this 3 years i like him centre back myself with Paul Cleary or Trevor Corcoran and Sean Coughlan to fight for the number 3
move Rory Hanniffy to midfield, thats the best thing about this year Baker has alot of thinking to do as theres a good squad of players in at the moment.

Joe Brady was the best centreback in offaly this year he also was the best in Coolderrys leinster club run man of the match in the leinster club final
and will have a big say on saturdays match again Gort .

if he could get very fit his another one that Ollie Baker will have to look at.

Deadandgone
Intermediate

Post by Deadandgone »

Rory is the best centre back around. If he played at 6 the whole time i go to say the best in ireland and kenny is just class at full back so why change these guys out of these positions. That wud be like puttin kinahan at 6 and hubie rigney at mid field. Play lads in their best positions.

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

Deadandgone wrote:Rory is the best centre back around. If he played at 6 the whole time i go to say the best in ireland and kenny is just class at full back so why change these guys out of these positions. That wud be like puttin kinahan at 6 and hubie rigney at mid field. Play lads in their best positions.
I have to agree completely with the point about Rory Hanniffy he is the best centre back in Offaly by a mile and he should be played there end of story and build a team around him!

Anybody that thinks Joe Brady is good enough for inter-county centre back needs to get a reality check,he has played very well for Coolderry when the opposition has played to his strengths,at county level he would be completely shown up for his lack of pace and fitness,which has been happening for the last number of years when he has played for Offaly!

I am all up for optimisim about Offaly's chances of improving this year but we are where we are for one reason we are no where near the top level of inter-county hurling and I for one cant see us getting there for a long time to come unfortunately!

Deadandgone
Intermediate

Post by Deadandgone »

Rory has to be at 6. Kenny at 3.carroll and mahon mid field. Bergin at 10. Molloy at 14 dooley at 13. All big men apart from carroll.fill in the wings then. I think if these all hit top form we have the spine of a good team.we could do well all there guys r in their prime now. Now r never. They have to aim for leinster final.

wingback
Junior B

Post by wingback »

Do u not think that ye are listing nearly the same team that his lined out over the last couple of years?? Hanniffy isn't the best centre back in the county, great hurler but isnt quiet strong enough at plucking balls from the sky.

My startin 15 would be: 1.Dempsey 2.Franks 3.T Corcoran (has to be given a chance) 4. Rigney 5. Morkham 6. Kenny 7. Horan 8. Hanniffy 9. Mahon 10. Bergin 11.J Brady 12. Molloy 13.Dooley 14. Parlon 15.Murray/Ryan,

Fairly strong team i think! looking at Murray yesterday if picked for the team he needs to be returned to free taking duties! Class, don't think he missed one except for the one he took about 10 minutes to go about striking! Barry Teehan would also be in the running after looking at his club performances this year !

Deadandgone
Intermediate

Post by Deadandgone »

Good team wing back. I would have brian carroll on it. I thought in the last 20mins he came into his own.when it looked like gort were comin back at them he stepped up and got some great scores. Also think s egan is a shoe in for corner back when he gets over groin opp. Dooley will have to get back on form r murray and ryan will be lookin at 13 and 15 both very fast and very skilfull. Prob have molloy at 11 great engine and good at catchin high ball. I think offaly cud be dark horses this year. That is a good offaly team and all with some big men as well

Deadandgone
Intermediate

Post by Deadandgone »

Dylan hayden and paul cleary will also have a say. 2 very good hurlers. If its done rite u will have lads fightin for places which will be great and the lads that r playin well will be picked. Then the options on the line will also be better. I though martin corcoran no 14 done huge work yesterday. Set up a lot of scores and worked his socks off. Offaly need the same type player in their set up