Question for LoneShark

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Truth as i see it
All Star

Question for LoneShark

Post by Truth as i see it »

Just want to ask Lone Shark a question, i'm not sure if its been covered here before so apologies if it has but i'm sure with Sharky being a Ferbane man and all he might be able to answer this.

Young Leon Fox the lad who played centre field for Gallen CS last year and Ferbane minors as well, is there any reason why we haven't seen him in an Offaly Minor shirt over the past number of years.

I know he played for the Vocational schools side this year but to my knowledge he's never played for the minors or u-21s before.

I re watched the Vocational Schools Final on youtube a couple of weeks ago and the lad was an absoloute beast in midfield, fielding the ball, winning primary possession, passing it off, tackling back the lot.

He reminded me of a young Cairan Mcmannus

I know he plays rugby as well, is he concentrating on that as his Primary sport?

Is he from Laois or something?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Question for LoneShark

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't think it's being unfair to Leon to say that there are some strong points to his game, and some aspects that would need work as well. Certainly he's a big lad and one that's capable of going a long way in the game if he wants to - indeed he'd be capable of a lot if he chooses to focus on hurling either - but he'd be the first to admit that his stamina and sharpness wouldn't always be at the same level as his physicality, for example. He alternates between midfield and "big full forward" very well and certainly I don't think he'd have been out of place on a county minor panel, but he'll have work to do even to play senior for the club in that kind of role. We mightn't be hugely well endowed with free scoring forwards but there are plenty of options for midfield at the same time.

And no, he's not from Laois!
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Lone Shark wrote:I don't think it's being unfair to Leon to say that there are some strong points to his game, and some aspects that would need work as well. Certainly he's a big lad and one that's capable of going a long way in the game if he wants to - indeed he'd be capable of a lot if he chooses to focus on hurling either - but he'd be the first to admit that his stamina and sharpness wouldn't always be at the same level as his physicality, for example. He alternates between midfield and "big full forward" very well and certainly I don't think he'd have been out of place on a county minor panel, but he'll have work to do even to play senior for the club in that kind of role. We mightn't be hugely well endowed with free scoring forwards but there are plenty of options for midfield at the same time.

And no, he's not from Laois!
Right i hear you (i think), so its not a case of him being good its a case of the development squad coaches not rating him.

I take your point on his week points as you have seen him way more times than me.

still, any time i have seen him he has been impressive but maybe as the old saying goes, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Late comers have been known to bloom in Offaly.

As a person who has only recently taken an interest in our famous past Liam O' Connor of the great 82 team springs to mind

Didn't make the minor or U-21 squads but when he came in for the '81 and '82 team he made a big impact so there's hope for young Fox yet if he wants it

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I wasn't trying to run the lad down by any means, and there's no question but he has a lot going for him. He has a good physique, he uses the ball well and is able to take a score when the opportunity arises. Guys have won All Stars with less natural ability than him, but I wouldn't say he's necessarily been harshly treated by selectors either.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Lone Shark wrote:I wasn't trying to run the lad down by any means, and there's no question but he has a lot going for him. He has a good physique, he uses the ball well and is able to take a score when the opportunity arises. Guys have won All Stars with less natural ability than him, but I wouldn't say he's necessarily been harshly treated by selectors either.
Emm.... ok so he is good, but why wasn't he on previous Minor or u-21 panels?

Seriously, i'm not trying to be smart here, i really want to know

Is it a a personal choice on his part again Much like Liam O' Connor back in day?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm a little uneasy here continuing a discussion about a lad that I don't know that well personally, while he's still a schoolgoer as well.

What I'm trying to say is this - Leon has a lot of raw material, and I could see why a county selector would have been interested in him in the past, and indeed would be now as is the case since he's on the under-21 panel. Equally there are weak points to his game, which to certain managers, would be an issue. He'd have a lot of potential, and has won medals on account of being part of a very talented age group in Ferbane. However he has perhaps not stood out as much as he might have for the same reason. After all, he's a potential county player who on any given day, might not even stand out in his own club underage team since Ciarán Cahill, alongside him, is also an outstanding midfielder of the ball and excellent all round footballer. Hence selectors might not have noticed him as much. This is all speculation on my part of course, since I don't know when he was watched and what managers considered him, or didn't.

I'm very glad he's one of ours though - I will say that.

Truth as i see it
All Star

[quote="Lone Shark"]I'm a little uneasy here continuing a discussion about a lad that I don't know that well personally, while he's still a schoolgoer as well.

yeah fair enough, I'm certainly not trying to heap pressure on the lad, i was only wondering how he hadn't to my knowledge played for the minors or U-21s before this, you are quite correct we should give him time as he is still a young lad but again i will say from what i have seen he could be a real asset to Offaly in the future