offaly senior hurling squad 2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Re: offaly senior hurling squad 2012

Post by townman »

Daniel Hoctor is along time off the scene after playing championship hurling back in 2005 in the never to be forgotten kilkenny landslide win
but he is still young and has hurl well for Shinrone in offaly club hurling and no harm looking at Daniel again i remember him been a good minor
with offaly that hurl in croke park.

as for players from Coolderry that might make it, we know what Parlon, the Bradys Brian Carroll, Damien Murray, can bring to the table as most
have been in with offaly over the year's.

Eoin Ryan is a player who i like to see get a run with offaly, young but knows where the goal's are and is a good goalscorer and has pace
Kevin Connolly another who has done well got two great scores in Coolderrys leinster run the goal again Birr and a great point out on the wing
again Oulart in the final, he has been out hurt for a time but is one to watch.

Barry Teehan does unreal work for Coolderry but i don't think he has the making of a centre forward at inter county level but you never know
look at Brendan Kelly fullforward in the offalyside in 1994 like Teehan Kelly done most of his hurling in the backline but done the job in 1994.

Trevor Corcoran can hurl anywhere in the fullback line might get the nod at corner back as Paul Cleary and David Kenny might get the fullback job
but i wouldn't have any problem with Corcoran fullback.

on a last note i'd like to see Brian Watkins and Barry Harding get a run i think they can help out in the back's or midfield and would make up a strong
squad if they came on board, James Rigney will be a big loss and big shoes to fill but if either Harding or Watkins get the chance they have the hurling
to make it.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Damien Murray is too reliant on his right-side to operate at the top level. Eoin Ryan? Offaly are overburdened with right-handed left-sided attackers as it is (Dooley, Carroll, Currams) so competition for 10 and 13 is stiff.
This is a crazy statement. Murray has the style that our forward unit is crying out for. His ability to peel off and find himself in space in front of goal would give quick thinking players like Bergin and Dooley an option that has been lacking the last few years. His workrate when not in possession is currently the best in the county. He is a freetaking option as well. We've seen Dooley have off days and both Bergin and Carroll have failed to provide adequate backup in the past. Also we need a recognised freetaker if Dooley gets injured. Theres nothing stopping Murray hurling at the top level again. I'm looking forward to seeing him hurling for Offaly again. POTH you clearly know the game of hurling inside out but you might want to not get so bogged down over analizing the specific way fellas grip the hurl or what side they strike off. Analysis paralysis!!!!

Greenwhiteandgold
Intermediate

Post by Greenwhiteandgold »

It would be good to see some of the lads discussed given a chance.. A good few lads in the county are stepping up to the plate with the clubs.. Trevor corcoran etc. and could add another dimension to offalys panel next year. Any have a general idea of who is on the panel provisionally..??? Anyone from intermediate grade on the panel???

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

B, if I was a defender I'd love to mark a fella who only had the one side (or who could only kick off the one foot in football). Predictability. Once a defender cops the onesidedness the onesider will never get to strike a ball unless the onesider has got burning pace.

Two notable examples. John Mullane only had one side until he began hurling Senior intercounty. His pace got him through up until that point when he realised he needed to develop his right side, which he did. Lar Corbett's pace still gets him through matches, but Corbett is over 30 now and won't always have that pace.

Almost all inter-county hurlers are comfortable on either side.
bracknaghboy wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Damien Murray is too reliant on his right-side to operate at the top level. Eoin Ryan? Offaly are overburdened with right-handed left-sided attackers as it is (Dooley, Carroll, Currams) so competition for 10 and 13 is stiff.
This is a crazy statement. Murray has the style that our forward unit is crying out for. His ability to peel off and find himself in space in front of goal would give quick thinking players like Bergin and Dooley an option that has been lacking the last few years. His workrate when not in possession is currently the best in the county. He is a freetaking option as well. We've seen Dooley have off days and both Bergin and Carroll have failed to provide adequate backup in the past. Also we need a recognised freetaker if Dooley gets injured. Theres nothing stopping Murray hurling at the top level again. I'm looking forward to seeing him hurling for Offaly again. POTH you clearly know the game of hurling inside out but you might want to not get so bogged down over analizing the specific way fellas grip the hurl or what side they strike off. Analysis paralysis!!!!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

any word on the hurlers of late? any new faces or developments, im assuming they are back in full training. Heard a rumour they are playing a challenge in Banagher on saturday. any idea who they are playing or what time this is on??
jimbob

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

good to see Brendan Murphy, Frank's, and Rory Hanniffy staying on this year. Daniel Currams is gone to the footballer's
but in getting Sean Ryan back into the hurling panel will cover for Currams going its a pity because we could do with everyone on board.

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

townman wrote:good to see Brendan Murphy, Frank's, and Rory Hanniffy staying on this year. Daniel Currams is gone to the footballer's
but in getting Sean Ryan back into the hurling panel will cover for Currams going its a pity because we could do with everyone on board.
Diarmuid Horan is also back in full training with the panel and seems to have committed for the year!
This is a huge boost for Offaly and St.Rynaghs!

Greenwhiteandgold
Intermediate

Post by Greenwhiteandgold »

Is currams fully commited to the football or is he playing both codes.. It would be good to see horan back on board..

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

That’s fantastic news about Diarmuid Horan if its true.

Something to lift the January gloom.

Any update on James Rigney Kinnityman?

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

durra1 wrote:That’s fantastic news about Diarmuid Horan if its true.

James Rigney is working in London at present,but hasnt transferred yet!

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Horan eager to revive Offaly career
12 January 2012

Diarmuid Horan is back in the Offaly hurling fold after spending the last three summers in the US.

The stylish St. Rynagh's clubman, who is a son of 1981 All-Ireland winning captain Padraig, is focused on regaining his place in the Faithful County squad, having confirmed his intention to stay around for the year. His last appearance for Offaly came as a substitute in the 2009 Leinster championship first round defeat to Wexford in Wexford Park.

"I am turning 24 this year (in March) so there were a couple of years where I was young and missed out for experience. I want to really push hard this year," he explained to the Evening Herald.

"Hopefully I'll push hard this year and get my way back onto the team somehow. But I have to work on it - with the effort gone into training in the last two days, I will have to work very hard to get back in there.

"I am not fully sure what Ollie Baker's plans are, but I would imagine the squad is not fully finalised. There's quite a big number in there, plus all the Coolderry guys have to come in after the club run."

Tweet

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

puzzled wrote:

James Rigney is working in London at present,but hasnt transferred yet!

Dan Currams is playing both this year I hear, will be tough but he's giving it a go. While James Rigney was working as a bouncer in The Palace Bar and Nightclub Tullamore last Saturday night, so barring after a few pints I ended up in London saturday night, James Rigney is currently at home.

Junior C

Post by 57118 »

Diarmuid Horan is easily the most stylish hurler in the county. He has a lovely striking action, pinpoint accuracy passing and just very efficient with his use of the ball. A joy to watch. He is a leader aswell and his knowledge in terms of conditioning, nutrition etc would be great for other players. I would not hesitate to put him in the top ten hurlers in the country.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

yes agree there with Horan been one of the most stylish hurler's in the country i think if we get him fit and hurling well.
we could reach the leinster final this year, with the Coolderry players having a spring in there step after which i hope will
end on paddy's day on the steps of the Hogan Stand offaly hurling looks to have a bright future please god. :D

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Good news on a few fronts here so! Great to have a bit of optimisim, (cant even spell it). Will need a fully committed squad to make an impact but if the Coolderry lads can come back with the right condition and atitude things could be looking up for the year.