CLUB HURLING MANAGERS 2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

CLUB HURLING MANAGERS 2012

Post by puzzled »

Just from reading the tribune the last couple of weeks Dinny Cahill is going to stay with St Rynaghs and Nicolas Claffey with Belmont!

Ken Hogan surely sticking with Coolderry for another year? Is Paul Murphy staying with Birr for another attempt to win back the title?
Will Pad Joe be going back to K/K? Mick Molloy Kinnitty? Donie Franks Shamrocks?

That leaves Seir Kieran Drumcullen Brosna Gaels Shinrone and Tullamore anyone hear who will be training these teams this year?

joe bloggs
All Star

Re: CLUB HURLING MANAGERS 2012

Post by joe bloggs »

Joacim Kelly is back with Shinrone
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Jack The Lad
Junior B
Club: GAA

Post by Jack The Lad »

Kieran Dooley who served as a selector with Paddy Kirwan the last few years is the new Drumcullen manager. I doubt PJ Whelahan will be back with kk. Kevin Martin is the Tullamore manager again.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

puzzled wrote:Just from reading the tribune the last couple of weeks Dinny Cahill is going to stay with St Rynaghs and Nicolas Claffey with Belmont!

Ken Hogan surely sticking with Coolderry for another year? Is Paul Murphy staying with Birr for another attempt to win back the title?
Will Pad Joe be going back to K/K? Mick Molloy Kinnitty? Donie Franks Shamrocks?

That leaves Seir Kieran Drumcullen Brosna Gaels Shinrone and Tullamore anyone hear who will be training these teams this year?
While I understand players will be reticent to comment for obvious reasons, I'd be interested in asking one simple factual question - how much time did Dinny Cahill actually spend with St Rynaghs last year? I don't expect anyone to say he was good/bad/indifferent, he is the club manager after all, but the man was managing an intercounty team in Ulster, and was helping out Portumna as well, while I've heard he was also helping out another club in Tipp. This year he's taking over the Armagh job, which presumably is a huge commitment as well since Armagh hurling has shown some signs of real potential in recent years.

For example, was he there only at weekends, once per midweek etc.?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

While I understand players will be reticent to comment for obvious reasons, I'd be interested in asking one simple factual question - how much time did Dinny Cahill actually spend with St Rynaghs last year? I don't expect anyone to say he was good/bad/indifferent, he is the club manager after all, but the man was managing an intercounty team in Ulster, and was helping out Portumna as well, while I've heard he was also helping out another club in Tipp. This year he's taking over the Armagh job, which presumably is a huge commitment as well since Armagh hurling has shown some signs of real potential in recent years.

For example, was he there only at weekends, once per midweek etc.?[/quote]

I stand to be corrected on this one but as far as I know Cahill didnt really commit to the Rynaghs job until Antrim were gone out of the championship with Roy Mannion taking most of the training until Cahill was finished with Antrim,if that was acceptable to Rynaghs last year they probably have agreed to it again!

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

So far
Coolderry-Ken Hogan
St. Rynaghs-Dinny Cahill
Shinrone-Joachim Kelly
Tullamore-Kevin Martin
Belmont-Nicolas Claffey
Drumcullen-Kieran Dooley
Seir Kieran-?
K/K-?
Kinnitty-?
Brosna Gaels-?
Birr-?
Shamrocks-?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i see where Brian Whelahan is gone to Kiltormer in Galway

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

townman wrote:i see where Brian Whelahan is gone to Kiltormer in Galway
Johnny Pilkington also gone to Galway,Mullagh from what I hear!

Any names in for the Birr job yet Townman?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

puzzled wrote:
townman wrote:i see where Brian Whelahan is gone to Kiltormer in Galway
Johnny Pilkington also gone to Galway,Mullagh from what I hear!

Any names in for the Birr job yet Townman?
wouldn't mind Ken Hogan back :lol: i didn't hear anything theres a few supporters that are not happy with what has gone on in the last two
years with the players that are picked.

i think Paul Murphy has done the best with what he has got, people have to wake up to it that you can't go on winning for ever players get old
and younger ones are not up to the standard what seems to be the problem with Birr at the moment.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Paul Murphy has got the manager's gig in Nenagh.

No idea how they came up with him but there you have it. Maybe they were of the opinion "if he was good enough for 2 years in Birr he's good enough for us."

Couldn't see Padjoe staying with K/K if the rumours about their AGM are anything to go by.

No word on the Kinnitty job although it seems Mick Molloy has first refusal.

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

Chatting a few Birr lads today Paul Murphy is not in the running it seems to be between Daithi Regan Paddy Kirwan and Donie Franks with the players wanting Daithi Regan!

K/K Stephen Byrne seems favourite to get the job!

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

Seir Kieran are sticking with the same manager as last year Micheal Ryan a Tipp native!

Birr and K/K AGM's on this sunday so they should know who will be training them after that!

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

Birr appointed Donie Franks yesterday,very good trainer,not a bad appointment for Birr at all!
Coolderry-Ken Hogan
Birr-Donie Franks
St Rynaghs-Dinny Cahill
Tullamore-Kevin Martin
Belmont-Nicolas Claffey
Drumcullen-Kieran Dooley
Seir Kieran-Micheal Ryan
Shinrone-Joachim Kelly
Brosna Gaels-Ciaran McDonald
That leaves K/K,kinnitty and Shamrocks yet to finalise their management,anyone any idea who or when these appointments will be made?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

On reading the article on club managers in last week's Tribune, it looks to me like this thread was the main piece of research!!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Kinnitty have a joint management/coaching team of Eoghan and Colm Hanley from Shannon. They trained Clare to win the Junior All Ireland Camogie Championship in 2009.