Faithful Pioneers: Offalys Football Breakthrough, 1960/61

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Faithful Pioneers: Offalys Football Breakthrough, 1960/6

Post by SearingDrive »

Like POTH, I attended yesterday's launch of Faithful Pioneers, and it was memorable to see so many of the players from that era, who put Offaly football on the map. I was only a small boy when I attended with my late parents, and extended , family, the 1960 Leinster Final, Offaly's first, and the All Ireland final of 1961, which Offaly lost by a point. Heartbreak for so many noble people.
But for some dubious refereeing decisions in the 1960 semi final v Down , and All Ireland final in 1961, Offaly would have 2 SF All Irelands in that era.
This was referred to in the short film of both games, and in Eugene McGee's address, when he became emotional, referring to Offaly's equally great welcome for Offaly teams after All Ireland finals, whether winning or losing. Offaly supporters as the poet said, can 'meet triumph and disater and treat those two impostors, just the same'. Kerry had their usual moan about Down, as POTH observed, nothing to do with the fact that Down were better, in 1960,1961,and in 1968. Down also beat Kerry in the 2010 All Ireland series. Of course they still have Seamus Darby, and 'puke football' in 2003.
Eugene referred to Offaly's great tradition, epitomised by the 3 D's Discipline, Dedication, and Determination, and said if our present footballers showed the same belief as those footballing pioneers, the Offaly fans could look with hope to the future.
Even though the players had aged over the last half century, to me and many like me, they are still young heroic figures.
Sadly one former player remarking on the non attendance of some playing colleagues, said it might be the last reunion of that group.

Fido
Intermediate

Post by Fido »

Got a copy of the book today and having skimmed through parts of it quickly would highly recommend it for anyone with an interest in Offaly football, some great first hand insights. As POTH mentioned, it's unfortunate the print is so small, particularly as many who would have personal memories of the era might find it difficult to read (not intended as an insult to anyone of that age bracket, I'm thinking particularly of family members of my own of whom this would be true). Also a couple of small grammar things that could have done with tighter editing but these are minor quibbles really and don't take away from the value of the book or the enjoyment of the reader. Great that the remaining team members are still around to enjoy the attention and recognition they fully deserve, and well done to the authors for having the initiative to bring the story of these great men back into the spotlight.

Fido
Intermediate

Post by Fido »

Just one other thing, I went to one of the shops selling the book especially to buy it and searched all over, expecting a prominent display somewhere. In the end I had to ask at the counter, where the girl rummaged around and got a copy for me. Hopefully this was because they'd only just arrived and they hadn't had a chance to display the books properly yet, because as another poster said somewhere, it's the kind of book that will attract a lot of attention from casual shopper in the run-up to Christmas. But only if it's visible!

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

Fido wrote:Just one other thing, I went to one of the shops selling the book especially to buy it and searched all over, expecting a prominent display somewhere. In the end I had to ask at the counter, where the girl rummaged around and got a copy for me. Hopefully this was because they'd only just arrived and they hadn't had a chance to display the books properly yet, because as another poster said somewhere, it's the kind of book that will attract a lot of attention from casual shopper in the run-up to Christmas. But only if it's visible!
With all of the pedantic quibbles out of the way :roll: , has anyone any comments on the content of the book itself?

I have just finished and found it a thoroughly interesting and enjoyable read. I felt some of the little sub plots and snippets of historical information really brought one back to that era. I am sure the families of these great men will love to have their feats finally on the record and will enjoy reading this book. What struck me was the desire within the County at all levels for success and the energy and commitment brought forward in the pursuit of progress. Many of our Officers, Players and Supports could learn a lot form a read of this book.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it.
Have the authors put it for sale anywhere on the INTERNET? Like maybe setting up an ebay shop and taking Paypal payments etc.
It might streamline the selling process and help advertise it.

Fido
Intermediate

Post by Fido »

club125 wrote:
Fido wrote:Just one other thing, I went to one of the shops selling the book especially to buy it and searched all over, expecting a prominent display somewhere. In the end I had to ask at the counter, where the girl rummaged around and got a copy for me. Hopefully this was because they'd only just arrived and they hadn't had a chance to display the books properly yet, because as another poster said somewhere, it's the kind of book that will attract a lot of attention from casual shopper in the run-up to Christmas. But only if it's visible!
With all of the pedantic quibbles out of the way :roll: , has anyone any comments on the content of the book itself?

I have just finished and found it a thoroughly interesting and enjoyable read. I felt some of the little sub plots and snippets of historical information really brought one back to that era. I am sure the families of these great men will love to have their feats finally on the record and will enjoy reading this book. What struck me was the desire within the County at all levels for success and the energy and commitment brought forward in the pursuit of progress. Many of our Officers, Players and Supports could learn a lot form a read of this book.
Well Jaysus I'm awful sorry.
At least you got a chance to play with the smiley faces though. Good for you.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

For those of you wishing to purchase online, I found this link

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Offaly-GAA-Book- ... 27c113e1cc

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

summerindublin wrote:For those of you wishing to purchase online, I found this link

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Offaly-GAA-Book- ... 27c113e1cc
Top class INTERNETTING there summer!

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

This book is essential reading for all followers of Offaly football. It gives a very good historical perspective and is a fitting and long overdue tribute to the men who blazed a trail and put Offaly football on the map.

I would have liked if the book gave a bit more information on individual players, something like a pen picture including club(s) played with, career duration, number of championship appearances, medals won at various levels etc. It's also a pity that the book omitted to include the team lineout that won the 1960 Leinster Final.

In an attempt to find out more information I turned to the excellent Player Search service on this very website. This threw some quite amazing findings in relation to both how 'new' this team was and how brief the intercounty careers of many of the players.

Of the team and three subs that played in and won the 1960 Leinster Final ELEVEN were two years or less playing intercounty championship (5 started playing in 1958, 4 in '59 and two in '60). And another two men had begun playing for Offaly three years previously. The exceptions were the long serving and legendary duo of Mick Casey and Sean Foran who first played for Offaly in 1949, and Mick Brady and Sean Brereton who made their debuts in '52 and '55 respectively.

Moreover, the team quite quickly disbanded after appearing in Offaly's first all Ireland Final in 1961. Of the 17 players who featured for Offaly that day, eleven had ended their intercounty career within three years (ie by the end of 1964). This meant that many of the players scaled great heights in a relatively short career span.

Another interesting point to note is that, contrary to one might have thought, the great, almost mythical, full back line of Paddy McCormack, Greg Hughes and Johnny Egan only lined out as a unit in 4 championship seasons - '60, '61, '62 and '69. It may be more than a coincidence, however, that Offaly reached the Leinster final in all of these years, winning three, and getting to the All-Ireland Final in two!

One final note, it is fitting recognition that six of this historic team were selected on the Offaly Team of the Millennium: McCormack, Hughes and Egan making up the full back line, Brady at left half back, Foran at midfield and Casey at right corner forward.

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

Heshs Umpire wrote:
townman wrote:
Heshs Umpire wrote:In that team picture, can anyone identify Sean Ryan if he's in it please?
Sean's my local man for tyres and punctures and a great character.
he is the second in from the right back row.
Thanks.
Sean's grandson Adam has played minor for Laois and I'd imagine will be part of the under 21 set up this year. A fine prospect.
Very sorry to hear of the sudden passing of Sean Ryan last night. An absolute gentleman. I'd imagine a seperate thread is merited?
Ar dheis De go raibh se.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Seán Ryan, RIP

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Seán Ryan’s pen-picture in the Midland Tribune supplement prior to the 1961 Leinster Final reads:-

“Comes over from London, where he plays with St. Monica’s, to have a tilt at his second Leinster title in midfield. 21 years old, 10st 7lbs in weight and 5ft 9ins tall, he formerly played with Doon. Ex-St. Mel’s College star, he was in two Leinster Colleges finals. He also played minor with Longford county; and in 1959 played junior with Offaly, later in the same year playing senior in the league match against Kerry. His London club is one of the best and holds the Tipperary Cup.”

May he Rest in Peace.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

John Kinsella
Junior C
Club: Kinnitty / Birr

Post by John Kinsella »

So sorry to hear of the passing of Sean Ryan, it is unusual indeed that this great team had not lost a member until the passing of Mick Casey RIP and now Sean Ryan.

Folks have made comment on that wonderful team and several on the full back line of McCormack, Hughes & Johnny Egan. I saw all three on many occasions and from my earliest memories to this day I have never seen a better corner back than Johnny Egan , not a big man and one who gave away very few frees but most dependable in front of goal whether the ball came high or low.
I remember speaking with the late John Dowling of Kerry in the early 1970s and he reckoned Egan was the best he ever saw or played against.

I have always thought he never got the credit he deserved and should have received a Hall of Fame award long ago.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Sean Ryan gave great service in a variety of position.

He was part of a strong Ryan, Hughes, Egan full back line while Paddy was still a forward. His move to midfield left space at the back for Paddy to complete what I regard as our best ever full back line.

Sean travelled from London on many occasions to play.

Having 2 from Doon in the 61 All Ireland, that tiny corner was indeed a proud time.

Rest in peace Sean.