Ferbane/Bemont Underage

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
llkj
All Star

Re: Ferbane/Bemont Underage

Post by llkj »

I see that the minors got well beaten in the Leinster Semi Final against, from what I hear, a very good Celbridge side. However, I also hear that Ferbane were missing a few. Just wondering who was missing and what would the expectations be if both teams were at full strength?

Still, some year all round from Ferbane. Hats off to all concerned!

How ya now

Post by How ya now »

llkj wrote:I see that the minors got well beaten in the Leinster Semi Final against, from what I hear, a very good Celbridge side. However, I also hear that Ferbane were missing a few. Just wondering who was missing and what would the expectations be if both teams were at full strength?

Still, some year all round from Ferbane. Hats off to all concerned!
Yes they got a good trimming in fairness but cellbridge were a serious side with Nine kildare minor mebers . ferbane were missing 3 starting players corner back Darren kelly Centre forward and probably there main player all year Joe maher and Corner forward Darragh Keenaghan all 3 players a huge loss to them. Cellbridge were at full strenght from chatting to some of there supporters they were saying. if ferbane had these 3 players i would still have expected a cellbridge win in fairness but just about.

osteitis pubis
Junior C
Club: ferbane

Post by osteitis pubis »

suppose i was a big loss at corner back ano joking even if we had full team cellbridge would of still came trough but the margin of defeat wouldnt of been as big if we had full squad to choose from with only 18 players who could play on the day it was always going to be hard tbh when your up agaisnt a squad of 38 from cellbridge but still it was succesful year for us minors

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

They could only play 20 out of the 38!! Joke!! But what you are saying is even though Ferbane have Shannonbridge with them ye only have 20 or so minors to pick from?
I know Ferbane are doing well at the moment, but they have a core of 5 or so from Shannonbridge at each age group. If you go back to late 80's early 90's Ferbane Belmont on their own had some great underage teams but the talent did not filter through to Senior level, hopefully history does not repeat itself, but in fairness, that is a big pick of players to work with.

How ya now

Post by How ya now »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:They could only play 20 out of the 38!! Joke!! But what you are saying is even though Ferbane have Shannonbridge with them ye only have 20 or so minors to pick from?
I know Ferbane are doing well at the moment, but they have a core of 5 or so from Shannonbridge at each age group. If you go back to late 80's early 90's Ferbane Belmont on their own had some great underage teams but the talent did not filter through to Senior level, hopefully history does not repeat itself, but in fairness, that is a big pick of players to work with.
Facts would be handy Ahlethimoutwithit .
2 on minor panel from shannonbridge Darragh Corbett and Mikey Corbett. 4 on under 16 panel
Yes 20 minors not that big of a pick is it. And most of them are under 16's who have just tagged along since they won their own grade .And there were 19 on the u16 panel for county final day. Edenderry and shamrocks both had much bigger panels than Ferbane on county final day.

osteitis pubis
Junior C

Post by osteitis pubis »

i was even chatting a cellbridge supporter after match and he said that most of that cellbridge team were 18 in their final year while a lot of our team were u-16's and still learning while der was few me being one in thier final year. so i think its encouraging to see under 16's being able to step up to grade for us and credit to them and without them we mightn't of been able field a team . so i dont think id be worried about the shannonbridge situation der cause like wat "how ya now " said der was only two on panal from shannonbrige , excellent players but i wouldnt be worried

darknight
Junior B

Post by darknight »

All jokin aside ferbane minors would have been rated as a decent enough team in Offaly but after getting a beaten like that you would have to look at the standard in offaly, are we really that far behind other counties???

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Yes How Ya Now, the facts are during the 80's ,90's FB had no one from Shannonbridge, and a lot of that talent was lost! 4 is a nice core to have, and there are more on the u14's I think.
Just saying ye need to be careful, thats all, and I hope they do come through and are successful. Ferbane needs to push on, the talent just hasnt been there for the last 10 years or so despite putting in a decent effort each year.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

darknight wrote:All jokin aside ferbane minors would have been rated as a decent enough team in Offaly but after getting a beaten like that you would have to look at the standard in offaly, are we really that far behind other counties???
One match, well after the season ends, with players missing, some not training due to being out of school - not at all. That's not saying there is cause for complacency or anything, but you don't go from winning a schools All Ireland and winning a county final in the fashion that it was done to suddenly being no good. Anyway, if things go well every day, players never learn anything and don't realise what improvements they need to make to keep moving their game to a higher level.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.