leinster club hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Long John
All Star

Re: leinster club hurling

Post by Long John »

Well done to Coolderry on a very well deserved win. In fact they could have won it by a bit more. Boden had a few goal chances that were more due to Coolderry mistakes than actually creating chances. So a alot of work still to be done.

Coolderry worked very hard and when some players began to struggle somebody else stood up to the plate which was good to see. Parlon will get alot of the praise for an absolute demolition job that he done. I drew yer attention to the fact Spain was there to be exposed and parlon duely did the job. The one worry is Parlon is not a consistent hurler and more players will have to step up to the plate when he is out of the game. Brian Carroll appears to be more a playmaker in the current Coolderry system. He plays alot further from goal than he used to, nearly as a third midfielder at times. He is a fine hurler and there are options to get him into more threatening positions if needed.

Martin Corcoran deseves alot of credit too. He won some super ball, and really was a thorn in the Boden side. I hope he keeps this up because the job he does will be badly needed the next day.

On Boden, they were never up to Coolderrys level of natural hurling. They relied a huge amount on being physically stronger. I can tell you straight off there was serious winging that they struggled to get frees yesterday. That's the Dublin way, they really hate to be beaten by a little country outfit. The plain and simple facts are they won their 5th Dublin title in a row with ease this year, hammering teams in semi and final, and yesterday they were beaten by a better team.

Now Oulart are next up. A huge task ahead of Coolderry. Oulart deservedly will be highly fancied favourites. They have a huge number of Wexford county panelists and have been knocking on the door for a while. Coolderry are well capable of beating them though. But they have to up it another gear. Oulart will come with the ususal Wexford fire from the throw in. But if Coolderry can weather that and lay down there own marker, when things settle a bit, I think they have the hurlers to win it. Big challenge.

By the way corner back, it was UCD that Coolderry were beaten by in 2004. As with all college teams they had a good amount of county hurlers from all over the place and my view is that College teams have no place in club championships but that is another topic altogether.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Thanks LJ, TM.

Agree with sentiments about college teams

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

Great win for Coolderry yesterday, well done to all involved with the club. While we're all big rivals during the year, it's great to see the county champions doing so well in Leinster and her's hoping that they can take Oulart aswell.

There has been a bit of focus on the players that 'Boden were missing but I think that's unfair on Cooldery as they were full value for their win yesterday and have been consistently competitive at a high level for the best part of 10 years at this stage.

It's also good for Offaly hurling for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they beat a Dublin team, and beat them in Parnell. It's fair to say Dublin hurling has passed us out at this stage and to see the almost disbelief with which the dubs around me were reacting to being bested shows what they think of us. It might be a small step forward but it's a positive for Offaly hurling andd that's good. Secondly, and most importantly for me, Coolderry play a fast, direct style of hurling not too disimiliar to the old Offaly style. Their backs play close, hard hurling, the midfield never wander too far from in front of the half-back line and the forwards are alway on the move with the ball sprayed into space from the midfield and centre-forward areas. It's not the mindless 'catch and drive' tactic that is so hated around these parts but rather capitalising on the strenght of having fast forwards who can read a game and be always heading to the right spot.

Oulart will be a step up again, due mainly to their experience at this level but I wasn't overly impressed by them against James Stephens and Coolderry have a massive chance of reaching an All-Ireland semi-final and beyond.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Coolderry’s previous in Leinster . . .

1977 – beat Brownstown & lost to Fenians in semi-final
1980 – beat Ardclough, won semi-final* and lost to Ballyhale 1-8 to 3-10 in Leinster Final
1986 - Beat Leixlip 3-18 to 1-5 & lost semi final to Rathnure 1-5 to 2-11
2004 - Beat Carnew Emmets 0-13 to 0-8, lost to UCD 0-7 to 1-14 in semi final.
2010 - Lost to Raharney 0-17 to 0-14 in quarter-final.

*I don't have this one, sorry.
corner back wrote:How did Coolderry do in Leinster the last time they won the county before last year?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Coolderry’s previous in Leinster . . .

1977 – beat Brownstown & lost to Fenians in semi-final
1980 – beat Ardclough, won semi-final* and lost to Ballyhale 1-8 to 3-10 in Leinster Final
1986 - Beat Leixlip 3-18 to 1-5 & lost semi final to Rathnure 1-5 to 2-11
1994 - Beat Carnew Emmets 0-13 to 0-8, lost to UCD 0-7 to 1-14 in semi final.
2010 - Lost to Raharney 0-17 to 0-14 in quarter-final.

*I don't have this one, sorry.
corner back wrote:How did Coolderry do in Leinster the last time they won the county before last year?

1994? 2004 surely.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Aye. 2004 surely.
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:1994? 2004 surely.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Aye. 2004 surely.
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:1994? 2004 surely.
Shock my god POTH gets it wrong must be slipping up herbe :wink:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Oulart are feeling the pressure. They've resorted to going public with yarns about player injuries. The usual blather. They'll all be right-as-rain next Sunday.

1/3 favourites to win this, favourites to win on the National Holiday - feeling the need to dampen expectation. If Nolan genuinely was unlikely to hurl, would they be as quick to 'go public' with the sob stories?
http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/sport/hurli ... 37043.html

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

as an edenderry man i just want to wish coolderry all the best in the final and im looking forward to what should be a good final between 2 even enough teams. il make the trip to nowlan park and hope to see the offaly side come home with the leinster crown. predictions: il go for a draw in this one.

happy harry
Intermediate

Post by happy harry »

i wish coolderry the best of luck in the leinster final and hope they can bring some success to the county. we are so starved of success right now we need a lift

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

All the best to Coolderry in the final. I would think that Oulart will have too much experience and given the amount of Wexford panelists they have,I feel they will edge it. Will be a big day for the club, and would lay down an important marker for Offaly hurling if they can win, as the championship was fairly competitive.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Leinster Club Hurling Final

“Oulart’s day of destiny arrives on Sunday next and I am strong in my belief they they can not only overcome the Offaly hurdle but go the whole way to an All-ireland title” – Wexford People.

“One thing is for sure, with no Kilkenny team in their way they have to be heavy favourites and with names like Jacob, Kirwan, Moore and Stamp how could anybody argue” – Brian O’Donoghue reporting in the Wexford People.

“There really is very little to stop the Wexford lads taking a Leinster title” – by the same reporter.

“There’s nothing stopping us winning a Leinster . . .” – Darren Stamp quoted in the Wexford People after the win over James Stephens.

Incredibly the Wexford media are bullish about Oulart-The Ballagh’s chances on Sunday. I wasn’t going to write anything about this match but I was fuming after I saw these quotes in the Wexford papers. Loose lips sink ships and the Oulart folk won’t thank them for their attitude. Then again, you can hardly blame them when one of Oulart’s most experienced hurlers is leading the chorus.

Thing is, Oulart-The Ballagh wouldn’t have beaten James Stephens if Jackie Tyrell was hurling. By the same token it’s quite possible Coolderry wouldn’t be preparing for the Final if Stephen Hiney and Conal Keaney were in the whole of their health.

Oulart-The Ballagh hurl in more than a little of the Offaly style. They bring their half-forward line well outfield, bringing the opponents’ ha;f-back line with them and then look to hit the full-forward line of Eoin Moore, Rory Jacob and Nicky Kirwan with quick, low ball into space in front of them.

They don’t catch much ball in the middle. Practically all their possession against James Stephens came from breaking ball. I think the first time they caught a puck-out against James Stephens was with about ten minutes remaining when the James Stephens goalkeeper managed to find Lar Prendergast in about five years of space. Now. Michael Jacob won quite an amount of that breaking ball around the middle.

In defence their full-back line hurl their men from the front. Coolderry could be in trouble if they persist with a low ball to the forwards, though Oulart could be vulnerable if Kevin Brady were to drop a few bombs in around the house.

Despite their bullishness, Oulart rode their luck against James Stephens. It would have been a different story if Matthew Ruth had managed to find the net with a kicked shot that flew over the crossbar at a time when O-TB led 0-6 to 0-5. Oulart’s goals gave the Pikemen an eight-point cushion that was hardly reflective of the balance-of-play. And James Stephens finished the game with a string of unanswered points which almost rescued a hopeless case and that despite the balance-of-play still being evenly balanced.

Oulart do have their qualities. Eoin Moore will need watching in front of goal, though Alan Corcoran will probably pick him up. Rory Jacob started at full-forward against James Stephens. He’s made for Trevor Corcoran. Much of their attack revolves around Garret Sinnott who does alot of grafting and roaming from centre-forward. It’s not rocket science to expect Oulart will try to drag Joe Brady around the park. Coolderry also have the option to have a roaming Barry Teehan dropping back to oppose Sinnott between the two ‘65s.

We know largely how Coolderry’s forwards will operate, making space for runners from the wings. All year they lined out with Cathal Parlon on the edge of the square with Eoin Ryan roaming. They swapped against Birr, with Ryan up front and Parlon travelling, so the options are there for Sunday. Coolderry have more forward options than James Stephens, who really only had Eoin Larkin.

Wexford being Wexford, and managed by Liam Dunne at that, Coolderry should be prepared for a few covert ‘digs’ on Sunday. Cathal Parlon is an obvious target. Possible they could be more overt too – ask Ger Oakley.

With much breaking ball to be expected the ground battle will decide it. The hungrier will win. Coolderry have been grossly insulted by the Wexford media this week, expecting an All-Ireland, no less! Coolderry have waited ten years for this day, ever since they drew with Birr in that brilliant semi-final with nine teenagers on board. Their time has finally come.

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/sport/hurling/

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

The very best of luck to Coolderry. I hope they do themselves justice and hurl the way they can. It would be great to see them win on Sunday.

Oulart are raging hot favourites with such a big contingent of county panelists, their management have noted this and done their best to talk it down with injury doubts and all that rubbish. They are hugely confident and dont let anybody tell you any different, they fully expect to win this and having beaten the Kilkenny champions in Nowlan park already, they deserve the expectancy placed on them.

Coolderry have to be hungry from the 1st to the last man for this, they have to be ready for the typical Wexford knock down the door on the way out approach and match Oulart early on when markers are been laid down. I think Coolderry have the better hurlers but in conditions like this time of year it will be about who uses the head a bit better and wants it more.

The very best of luck to the Coolderry panel and management team.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

The very best of luck to Coolderry as well on sunday and i hope it goes well for them.

oulart think they are the better side and the talk of their county men but Coolderry have their county men to and they are as good if
not better than what Oulart have and if they click they will win on sunday.

Coolderry will have to get off to a better start than they did again Boden as Oulart get there tails up they will be hard to peg back
but if Cooderry can get there good start with a goal or two they can do it as there backs are good.

as i said before they have one of the best forward lines in club hurling and if Brian Carroll, Parlon, Damien Murray, Eoin Ryan,
click and hurler like they have in offaly over the last few years and the Brady's and Corcorans and Brian O'Meara hurl their best
Coolderry by 5 point's best of luck.......

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i also left out besides Coolderry been 60 minutes away from a leinster club title there is also an all ireland club title there
to be taking i am sure Ken Hogan has said as much :wink: