Junior A Football

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DAF
All Star

Re: Junior A Football

Post by DAF »

Offaly Junior A Football Final

Cappincur 1-9 Daingean 1-4

Cappincur had an 8 point lead at half time and even though Daingean made a gallant fightback in the second half it wasnt enough.Cappicur have played some lovely football all year and are deserving winners of the Junior A title.They have a top class forward line at this level and they kicked some excellent scores in the first half.They're a young side so I'd fancy they will do well in the intermediate grade in the next few years.

For Daingean Liam Brennan was outstanding at full back and if it wasnt for him the margin of defeat could have been alot worse for Daingean.He should get a cal upto the Offaly panel he's a class footballer and no worse than alot of payers who have played for Offaly over the last few years

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

went into the junior final today it was good football in bad weather cappincur seemed to control must of the match, as daf said very strong forward line at this level and a good young team most seem to be early 20ths and 3 minors started.Noel Andrew Graham was head and shoulders over most of the other players on the field controlled everything from midfield.2 of the minors i mentioned were Brian Norris and Eoin Carroll and the had great games Brian is a corner forward with a eye for a score and i was very impressed with young Carroll a half back that came forward with great affect.Danigean didnt perform to there potential today found it hard to get their scores but should be back also a young team.

Awoefullhoor
Junior C
Club: Offaly

Post by Awoefullhoor »

In the long grass wrote:Cant see past Clara and the winners of the Daingean/Tullamore game, more than likely Daingean. I dont think any of the other teams left have enough to challenge. Time will tell
Ur some man for the predictions ITLG.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Well done to Cappincur on their great win over Daingean. I have to say that the Senior & Junior A championship winning teams are a great example to other teams that hard work & a strong team ethic will go a long way. Cappincur's use of the ball in posession and their kicking was top class and overall as a team they all played well. I would actually fear for Daingean now as they may have a youngish team in general , but many of their younger players would not appear to be championship winning material. Also I would say that 2 of their key men yesterday, John Greene & Stephen Byrne probably in there last year, (certainly Greene will pack it in as he only came back for the latter group stages of the championship).

Cappincur on the other hand will do well in Intermediate if (and its a big if) they can hold this team together. Strong chance they will lose a few players to emmigration (2 definitely gone for the year).

Great excitement in the parish and yesterdays win for CAppincur means that each of the 4 clubs in the Parish have won a championship in the last 10 years. The people who constantly run down the efforts each club spouting the need for Senior parish team would do well to remember this, especially in light of the lack of success of St Vincents in terms of winning titles. The joy of winning a championship with your own club is a massive thing and the young lads in Cappincur will cherish yesterday in the years to come just a much as it meant to Mattie Flanagan,Paul Corrigan & Sam Brennan, the latter 2 having played crucial roles at a pivotal stage of the group games earlier on! And indeed all here have referred to the young Carrolls & Noel Andrew and how well they have played.Playing at Intermediate next year will ensuer that these guys along with young Norris & Gethings will be called into U21 with Offaly next year if they keep up this form. The way these guys drove on their team yesterday was a credit to them and is what each club should expect of younger players.

In the long grass
Senior

Post by In the long grass »

Awoefullhoor wrote:In the long grass wrote:
Cant see past Clara and the winners of the Daingean/Tullamore game, more than likely Daingean. I dont think any of the other teams left have enough to challenge. Time will tell

Ur some man for the predictions ITLG.
But sure doesn't reverse psychology work wonders! See ya later junior football! Onwards and upwards!

lostinjuniora
Intermediate
Club: Ballinagar

Post by lostinjuniora »

Reverse psychology does work wonders, Capincur man Kevin Corrigan tipped Daingean to win in the Tullamore Tribune, I wonder did he do it to rev up the Capincur lads. They have played a lovely style of football all year. Great performance from the lads well done to them. Who have they got in the Leinster Championship ?

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

You're going to have to change your name now "LostInJuniorA" - any thoughts?

Cappincur seem to be very popular winners of the final on the weekend. I read a lot all week about them being neighbours, etc. but in my head I could't really see where Daingean and Cappincur would have a shared boundry. I then found this map viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1999 (scroll down to the one embedded in the page) which seems to indicate that they don't share any common boundry. Would that be the case or is this map incorrect?

Also, Cappincur actually seems to be a pretty big area according to this map - is that correct also, or maybe the GAA boundry works differently?

lostinjuniora
Intermediate
Club: Ballinagar

Post by lostinjuniora »

I'm still a junior A footballer, not from Capincur but very close to a few of the lads ! Its a stretch of road that starts at the very bad bend just past the annaharvey road (ballinagar area before that) and it goes for about 2 - 3 miles (not sure where it ends though, maybe some of the cap lads will inform us when they read this). numerous lanes and backroads quite a big area when you look at it on that map.

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

cappincur starts at the barny bridge in tullamore just pass whitehall the finlays a good football family life there, it goes as far as annaharavy lane just after Kevin Brownes the wing forwards house it also goes down by the canal where the Gethings brothers life. You also have springfield home for the young carrolls brothers. Cappincur and Daingean would not share a boundry as such but been part of the same parish would class each other as neighbours.Iam not a cappincur man so will not be offended if someone wants to correct any of these details.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Not a lot to be said about the game really. Better side won on the day.

Daingean took too long to get into the game and were always chasing it from then on. Cappincur were able to defend what they had for most of the 2nd half and the result was never really in doubt. They seemed to be more comfortable in possession of the football and in turn made life very difficult for Daingean when they had possession.

I would fancy Cappincur to more than hold their own in the Intermediate grade next year. They’ve a good spine of a team with plenty of youth who will continue to get better over the next few years.

As for Daingean, they’ll still be back next year at the latter stages of the Junior Championship.
I’m not buying into this rubbish that their chance is gone & that’s it. They’ve got plenty of decent young footballers in their late teens & early twenties. They’ll need to get their own house in order though as theres still something very wrong within that club at the minute.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

fully agree HSM. Cappincur have some of the finest young talent in OY football in their ranks. Noel Graham and the Carrolls would be well capable of playing county senior in years to come if they were training and playing in the right environment, ie higher level football with club and University Sigerson. Also, J Gethings and young Norris were on OY minor panels for the past two years and could make the step to co 21 again if in the right environment. Other fellas such as the treaceys would have played in Leinster minor finals with Offaly going back a few years and i think they have imported one or two good footballers from outside the county. If they stick together, there is no reason why they cant give the inter a rattle in the next year or two. Just look at Tubber, pullough and S. bridge and doon in recent times and how well they have done at senior despite a relatively small pick. This was no fluke as they beat Daingean well in the group stages also.

I think Daingean really thought all they had to do was turn up though, no doubt aided by Mr Corrigan in the local rag. They had been playing well of late and coasted thro to the final playing as a team. However they should have seen it coming since cappincur went to town on clara the same evening as daingean beat KK in the semis. They would have been naive to underestimate them. Their player selection seemed a little unusual as they controversially brought back an older player who hadnt featured all year when they were winning and playing well. The team ethic appeared to go out the window and they just reverted to type with the blame being shoved around and lack of leadership and team ethic very apparent. Just wondering if anyone thought that the big man coming back upset the balance of the team?? as for them getting their house in order, this is certainly true. They will never win until this is sorted as once the heat comes on and the cracks appear, lack of togetherness will see it all come caving in like it has in the last few years. i believe there was great entertainment in Daingean the night of the final with internal rows including slaps between mothers, wives and girlfriends let alone the players themselves. You wouldnt see it in a movie by all accounts!! With a fractious dynamic like this, its no wonder it all came falling down when the heat and pressure came on.
jimbob

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

I would say the big man coming back in for the final had an impact on team togetherness alright, but not as much as the impact he had later on!
Club is in a right mess, they need to get their house in order big time, also in relation to underage too. They dont have as big an impact on the St Vincents set up as they should.
Personally I dont think they have the quality to win the championship. They beat a poor KK team in the semi, they beat a lightweight Tullamore team in the Qfinal and were comprehensively beaten by a better prepared team.
Look, in reality, Fay was not fit to play, so they threw Green in early knowing he would have to play. Should have started McMenamon instead of Fay.
Walsh was too slow, Curley way off the pace. Tommy Fay, Johnny McGrath avearage footballers. Stepen Byrne did well but is near the end of his career. I dont know who the good young players are to fill this number of gaps next year HSM? And after the antics that night there will be a bit of team spirit to be rebuilt.
I dont think the lads have the leadership off the field, too many lads living in the past. They havnt spent a bob on their dressing rooms in years, terrible set up.
I hoper they can get things together but I doubt it.

daingean27
Junior C

Post by daingean27 »

as a Daingean man I believe the criticism of us on this page has being hugely unfair..we accept that the better team won and can have no complaints,most of us are friends with the Cappincur players and are glad they won it ahead of teams like KK/Tullamore/Clara who have no real desire to win the Junior A....the comments made about our club would not be shared by the majority of proper Cappincur players/fans,snide remarks is not the way to celebrate a great success for your club..

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

daingean27 wrote:as a Daingean man I believe the criticism of us on this page has being hugely unfair..we accept that the better team won and can have no complaints,most of us are friends with the Cappincur players and are glad they won it ahead of teams like KK/Tullamore/Clara who have no real desire to win the Junior A....the comments made about our club would not be shared by the majority of proper Cappincur players/fans,snide remarks is not the way to celebrate a great success for your club..
Daingean 27, sorry to disappoint you but i am not from cappincur, nor was i supporting them in the final. If you must know i am from a totally neutral club and yet was hoping to see Daingean win and get back to a higher level as ye have players capable of being at a higher level. In fact i was very disappointed when they lost. I know four of the Daingean team quite well and am very friendly with one former Daingean player. It was he who told me of the ructions that went on. He was disgusted with the performance and was totally embarassed by the whole episode that followed. In fact, i think your attitude sums up why Daingean is where it is. I hate to tell you that this will remain the case until this type of defensive blinkered attitude changes. try and Look in the mirror or look at it from an outsiders perspective maybe and see what everyone else can see is wrong in Daingean. Ye have some excellent footballers out there, some capable of playing at county level. People need to come together out there and start singing to the same tune.

Ye had an excellent manager out there this year, who tolerated no rubbish, but the minute the semi was won, all the s*1t started with who should be playing and who shouldnt. The whole positive momentum was turned on its head and destroyed by internal wrangling. You cannot deny this. Fellas need to be leaders and accept that some people know better than the local GAA family powerhouses and politicians. Not until this is accepted will they prosper, and that is coming from my friend and yere' former player!! The horror stories of that Saturday night are shocking to say the least but one must realise that these horror stories happened for a reason, ie they are not a united bunch when you scratch the surface. You cannot deny this and if you do, you have your head buried in the sand!!
jimbob

In the long grass
Senior

Post by In the long grass »

Leinster Championship Quarter Final this Sunday in Dr Cullen Park, Carlow at 2.30pm

Cappincur vs Clonmore