Mcnamee quits Offaly panel

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Mcnamee quits Offaly panel

Post by red exile »

Not surprised at this but a big shock for Offaly gaa

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Mcnamee quits Offaly panel

Post by Lone Shark »

At the moment there is no panel to quit.

I sincerely hope this is just out of frustration at the current situation. Niall needs to go and get himself back to full health now anyway, hopefully he'll feel differently when he's fully recovered and things are moving in the right direction again.

Obviously it would be a massive blow if we have seen the last of him in Offaly colours.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Niall has taken the nuclear approach here. Lets hope it all gets sorted soon.

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

Fair play Niall. Now whats keeping the rest of the players from standing down?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

RhodeRunner wrote:Fair play Niall. Now whats keeping the rest of the players from standing down?
And how would that help?

What I can't understand here is this - the players are complaining that there is no manager, and thus they are losing ground. The only reason they could be losing ground is because they're not training. Why are senior players like McManus, Brady, Slattery and Niall not stepping up and organising something then if they feel like this? Surely that would be a more constructive attitude than throwing the rattle out of the pram?

I accept that the county board have dropped the ball here and this is not meant to excuse them in the slightest - they have failed in their duty to look after our county footballers correctly, simple as that. However you are being naive if you think as a player that everything around you will be perfect all of the time. Say we play Kildare in the first round of the Leinster championship next year, and midway through the second half Eamonn Callaghan scores a goal to put Kildare five points up after taking two hops, and the referee allows the goal. What would you have our players do - walk off the pitch in protest, or just accept that things haven't gone perfectly well but to dig deep and make the best of an unfortunate situation?

I appreciate Niall's frustration and that it's coming from a good place, but I've named four players there, all of whom have earned the respect of the footballers in Offaly and all of whom come from different parts of the county as well. If they decided to round up the troops, begin some stamina work and create gym groups in the different places where everyone works, then people would follow them. I agree they shouldn't have to do it, but it would be a better way of dealing with this situation than simply walking away.

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

Lone Shark wrote:
RhodeRunner wrote:Fair play Niall. Now whats keeping the rest of the players from standing down?
And how would that help?

I appreciate Niall's frustration and that it's coming from a good place, but I've named four players there, all of whom have earned the respect of the footballers in Offaly and all of whom come from different parts of the county as well. If they decided to round up the troops, begin some stamina work and create gym groups in the different places where everyone works, then people would follow them. I agree they shouldn't have to do it, but it would be a better way of dealing with this situation than simply walking away.
Its not called walking away, its called speeding up the proccess of whatever is going to happen. Thats how it would help.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Lone Shark wrote:
Why are senior players like McManus, Brady, Slattery and Niall not stepping up and organising something then if they feel like this? Surely that would be a more constructive attitude than throwing the rattle out of the pram?
Just to add to this. I'd be pretty browned-off with what has gone on during these X-Factor auditions.

However, I would expect any Senior footballer who has ambitions of playing for his County to be working away on a personal programme - manager or not. I've seen club players, long in advance of selector/manager appointments, training alone or in small groups.

Regarding the selection process, perhaps we would be better off allowing Louis Walsh to choose the Offaly manager. He'd at least choose somebody pretty :wink:
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

RhodeRunner wrote: Its not called walking away, its called speeding up the proccess of whatever is going to happen. Thats how it would help.
You'll excuse me if I'm missing a bit in the middle here. How?

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

Lone Shark wrote:
RhodeRunner wrote: Its not called walking away, its called speeding up the proccess of whatever is going to happen. Thats how it would help.
You'll excuse me if I'm missing a bit in the middle here. How?

How about I answer that question after the weekend, who knows what could happen by then :wink: