Offaly Senior Hurling Club Championship 2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
llkj
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurling Club Championship 2011

Post by llkj »

Wow, that is some stat to say that birr have only been beaten 4 times in 10 years in championship hurling. It shows their consistency and ability to deal with the favorites tag very well. It also further highlights the achievement of tullamore to beat them in back to back knock out games.

Final should be a good'n!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

llkj wrote:Wow, that is some stat to say that birr have only been beaten 4 times in 10 years in championship hurling. It shows their consistency and ability to deal with the favorites tag very well. It also further highlights the achievement of tullamore to beat them in back to back knock out games.

Final should be a good'n!
Heard that Robbie Keane is going to sing Amhrann Na Fhiann!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Final thoughts . . .

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

There comes a time in every ambitious team’s life cycle when they come to the match they simply must win. That day has arrived for Coolderry.

Not so much that they need to retain the title for the first time since JFK was shot, but that they need to beat Birr. True, they could do nothing about last year that it was Tullamore who ended Birr’s interest and that it was the blues-in-white that Coolderry beat in the Final, and not Birr.

Coolderry’s record against Birr doesn't inspire. Ne’er a win in the last half-dozen meets (though granted there was the drawn 2006 final Coolderry should have won). And the 2004 Final win had caveats, Rory Hanniffy’s injury, two Coolderry goals in a minute early in the second half and holding on for dear life at the end.

Part of their problem is that Birr is ‘town’ for much of Coolderry, and the Town team have a tremendous record against any and all its rural neighbours. For instance, the last time Birr lost to a neighbour was that 2004 Final; the last time before that was a controversial 1995 semi-final defeat to Clareen. So Coolderry can get the snow-boots on for they have a mountain to climb on Sunday.

If Coolderry are to win they will need Cathal Parlon producing a leading performance. And Parlon can be moody. Still, Parlon will be afforded space by his fellow forwards (whatever about the Birr defence). Paul Cleary may well hold the upper hand in this duel at the edge of the square but Parlon should score three or four points on his travels.

Birr will surely line out with Michael Verney picking up Eoin Ryan with John Paul O’Meara shadowing Damien Murray. Ryan, facing goal, is a serious threat. Murray will do much running with his back to goal though making space for Parlon. And Murray’s reluctance to strike using his left makes him easy to mark. Note his unorthodox grip in Ger Rogers’ photograph on the Offaly Express site on their summary of the Coolderry v Kilcormac semi-final.

Martin Corcoran’s time to make a major contribution to Coolderry’s cause has arrived. Corcoran works hard and is decent in the air. If he can put pressure on Brian Watkins and stop the Birr defender gaining possession Coolderry could be in business. But there is no use letting Watkins gain possession first and then hope to catch him in possession, or block or hook him. Watkins strikes immediately and is all the more likely to send a quick ball over his shoulder while facing his own goal. If he gets to face his forwards he can send a quick diagonal ball to Seán Ryan and Bryan Lonergan in space. This was the source of Birr’s early scores against St Rynagh’s.

Brian Carroll’s ongoing injury problem has reduced the Coolderry man’s contributions. Whether Neil Rogers can win ball and keep the ball moving is another matter. You would fancy Barry Harding to prevail over Barry Teehan if the pair go toe-to-toe. If Coolderry dictate play Teehan will be prominent between the 65s. If Birr are setting the trend Harding will be lording the centre of the defence.

If Birr’s semi-final performance showed anything (and there were two differing performances that day, each of 30 minutes duration) it’s that Gary Hanniffy is crucial to that Birr team. In the first half Hanniffy was at the centre of all Birr’s attacking moves. But Hanniffy faded very quickly in the second half – and so did Birr. And Birr’s forwards went to pot once Hanniffy was taken off, and early in the second half. And David King (or Brendan O’Meara if Hanniffy lines out on the right) would be well able to compete in the air.

King might do better with Kevin Brady hurling in front of him. But Rory Hanniffy has lined out on the right side of midfield in recent matches. Decision time for Coolderry – switch Brady across to mark Rory Hanniffy, or keep Brady on the right to protect King and thus leave Kevin Teehan to track Rory Hanniffy. Coolderry must have considered bringing Kevin Brady back to the defence too, after all they can hardly chance the white-helmeted one taking shots from distance and lobbing successive balls wide.

Seán Ryan remains Birr’s biggest scoring threat close to goal. Ryan will depend of a good quality ball from deep, what with Trevor Corcoran for close company. Any delay in the delivery and the Birr forwards will be quickly swallowed up by the Corcorans and by Brian Kelly, who himself is hurling well in the corner of late.

Which leaves Dylan Hayden and Joe Brady. This will be the ultimate ‘swing duel’ where the winner will likely be the one whose side will be bringing home the cup. At close quarters Brady would be the most likely to edge the duel. Hayden will travel, will win ball in the air and will combine with the Hanniffys. Hayden has had a fine year for county and latterly for his club. If he can score three points (and 1-12 or the like will win it) Birr will be champions.

Alot of duels which could go either way, then. Which leaves the psychological battle at which Coolderry will start at a disadvantage. Since winning in 2004 thay have generally looked a class ahead of most opposition (mishaps against Kinnitty and Kilcormac excepted). Yet their deficiencies have been frequently exposed when faced by Birr, like that wet night in Kinnitty when they were made to look like a poor Senior team. They needed to make a mark against Birr in the group stages a few months ago, but didn’t, though they lined out without some injured stars that evening.

Very hard to know. Ken Hogan is a shrewd operator though and if he can’t get his charges to overcome those psychological hurdles then there is no hope for Coolderry. Coolderry’s pride is at stake, the local pride in their golden generation of hurlers. Hogan may well be the man to bridge the gap.

Though they have blown hot and cold within games in recent weeks, there was something impressive about the way they closed out the game late on against Clareen, and while they got the breaks against Kilcormac (that 6-point swing late in the first half and the fortuitous third goal), they still dictated the entire game.

Hunger trumps experience. In fact hunger trumps everything. We saw that twice last weekend on opposite sides of the world - the first in Wellington on Saturday, the second in Tullamore in Sunday.

Now or never for Coolderry. They have to win. I think they will climb their Everest on Sunday.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well plain of the Herbs has as much cover what we need to know it will be Birrs backs again Coolderrys deadly forward line
midfield i think will be won by Birr with Rory and Molly hurling well in the centre for Birr.

the only part i wont agree with is his team to win i will put my head on the line even doe its a hard one to call and say Birr by 5 points
i think the forwards might click on sunday for Birr anyway may the best team win.... Roll on sunday

by the way get in early sunday should be a good minor final in store between Rynaghs and K/K.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It has just been announced on Radio3 that Brian Whelahan has been added to the Birr panel for tomorrow. Whelahan wasn’t on the Birr Senior panel thus far this year, and he wasn’t on the Intermediate panel either.

That is for one reason – to get the Councillor his 13th County Senior medal to put him level with Damien Martin on the record list. Now the Birr management can pick the team as they see fit, but it doesn’t exactly scream ‘focussed’ to me, in the build-up to a major Final.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I remember asking Townman if Brian was on the panel this year, earlier in the championship and was told that he wasn't involved at all, so i don't see how they could dress it up as anything other than giving a great hurler one more record to his name. (actually, i do see how it could be dressed up as something else - great man to have around the dressing room to inspire, still take watching if he got 10 mins in the forwards, calming influence for the younger players, deserves another medal after all of the service, etc...). however, lets be realistic about why his name is added.

Still, I don't think it is a major shock and I actually wouldn't be surprised if he comes on during the game. fair play to him if he does and good luck to him if he gets another medal.

This type of thing could nearly happen in every club and county in the country, in one form or another. Usually, it takes the shape of long serving player retires after 20 years of heartbreak, and the following year the team are on the brink of achieving the holy grail... immediate example that springs to mind is ciaran whelan with the dubs this year.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

There is the prospects of a great match tomorrow.

I think this match will hinge on the positining of Joe Brady, in Shinrone Gary Hanniffy dragged him as far away from the ball as possible. If that happens again there will be a huge hole left in the middle of the coolderry defence right in front of Sean Ryan. However there is a massive difference in the fitnss of Joe Brady since then, he is moving a lot better now and with Kevin Brady back, the centre of the defence will be protected better.

The other changes to shinrone is Brian Carroll & Cathal Parlon, Carroll is after being the main man for Coolderry for nigh on a decade he is coming into this final under the radar and somewhat with a point to prove, which is exactly the way Coolderry want it. Parlon can blow hot and cold, but in fairness to him has blown fairly hot since his return from the states. The goal threat of Ryan & Murray inside remains and as much as Coolderry might struggle with the pace of Birrs inside forward line, Coolderry will feel their inside forward line should have the edge also.

The match being in Tullamore will also be to Coolderrys advantage, in Shinrone the forward line won an awful lot of possession but was bottled up, I dont think that will the case tomorrow in the bigger field. Coolderry to win by a few points!

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Coolderry 2-14 Birr 0-16

Birr almost pulled off a great comeback and they will have the feeling the left the game behind them with some poor misses and lack of vision late in the second half. In the first half where Coolderry started brilliantly and were 1-6 to a point up early on.Both Hannifys had great games in the second half as did Brian Watkins for Birr and they almost turned the game for them.I thought Eoin Ryan and Damien Murray were excellent for Coolderry and Brian Carroll had a good game aswell particularly in the first half.

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

Maybe not a great final but do Coolderry care. Coolderry should have gone in a half time a few goals better off, Eoin Ryan was on fire in first half. Cant understand why JP O Meara was taken off was it not Verney getting the roasting by Ryan in the other corner.Well done to Kevin Connolly brave man to go for goal at that stage. Well done to Cooldery think just about deserved the win on their fist half performance.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

blue biffo wrote:Maybe not a great final but do Coolderry care. Coolderry should have gone in a half time a few goals better off, Eoin Ryan was on fire in first half. Cant understand why JP O Meara was taken off was it not Verney getting the roasting by Ryan in the other corner.Well done to Kevin Connolly brave man to go for goal at that stage. Well done to Cooldery think just about deserved the win on their fist half performance.
Alot of the Birr people beside me were bemused with the substituion of JP O'Meara.

Seemed a strange one partiularly when Barry Whelehan was left on ahead of him who was not having a good game and had been brought in ahead of Lonergan from the start

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

coolderry played brilliant in the first half and went in well ahead and rightly so.birr in the second half made a great come back and at the least might have snook a draw.trevor corcoran for me did a good job at marking ryan and stopped him from doing much in the match.kevin brady had a great first half, and joe was out standing in the whole match at centre back.barry teehan collected alot of ball and delivered it well into the forwards.i thought carroll and parlon were quite enough on the day. murray and ryan were the main men in the forward line and ryans pace was lighting. birrs midfield didnt dominate the game the way they did in the quater and semi final,lonergan tried very hard,bolger,rory,ryan did ok but i think at the end coolderry deserved the win. the county should get behind coolderry now and push then on in leinster.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Congratulations to Coolderry. It is a great achievement to win the title back to back, and there will be no sweeter victory for them than beating the team that had beaten them in so many big games down the years. The spine of their team are all around the same age (late 20s) and have the capability to stay at the top for some time yet.

Birr will be disappointed today, but overall they can be happy with their year as I feel they made progress. However, in a club that is so used to success, 3 years without a title must feel like a lifetime.

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

A very good final yesterday overall Coolderry deserved to win!
Just a few observations Kevin Brady and Damien Murray have to be persuaded to return to the Offaly panel,Murray has been Cooloderry's best forward all year and since Brady has come back from injury Coolderry have been a much improved team.Brian Carroll hasnt had a good year by his standards and for Coolderry to win the championship without him being at his best speaks volume for their strength in depth!
Birr put in a geat second half performance Brian Watkins was outstanding,Barry Whelehan struggled to get into the game for him to start after just getting 10 mins in the semi after being out with injury for so long was a strange decision,dont get me wrong he has been one of Birrs best hurlers for years now but perhaps the legs arent what they used to be! Same thing applies for Watkins and Barry Harding I hope when Ollie Baker sits down with his selectors to pick an Offaly panel that he has these two lads with him!

The best players on the day,for me,were Damien Murray Eoin Ryan Kevin Brady Dylan Hayden and Brian Watkins,I think Murray was the man of the match 9points in a county final is a good return he was deadly all day!

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

A few random thought about the final:

Fair play to Joe Brady. I thought he was poor enough for a lot of it but he stood up bigtime in the crucial last 10 minutes when disaster seemed to be on the cards and some of his colleagues looked rattled. He won 4 or 5 crucial balls, one over Gary Hanniffy's head and one showing lovely touch intercepting a Birr attack.

Similarly Connolly showed great confidence for a lad who couldn't make the first 15 by taking his goal brillliantly. Offaly need forwards with that edge.

Barry Whelehan has been criticised on this thread. He was poor in the first half which isn't surprising after the lack of hurling he has done this year. He got on plenty of ball in the 2nd half at midfield and was influential in the comeback.

Rory Hanniffy and Barry Harding were great in the 2nd half. Watkins doesn't have the hurling for inter county half back for me but could be an interesting option at corner back. Did very impressive man marking jobs on Carroll and Murray yesterday.

Coolderry should have had the game home and hosed at half time. Hit some awful wides and weren't ruthless enough with their goal chances. Hopefully they'll do well in Leinster but need to learn to bury teams when they're on top.

Crowd was a bit disappointing.

Brian Gavin was good enough but could have handed out a yellow card or two for some loose pulls I thought.

That lad singing the National Anthem was a lovely singer but he really needs to learn the words properly if he's performing at such big days.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm a bit late chipping in with my two cents here, but Mondays are a bit unforgiving like that.

First up, I called this one wrong. I thought Coolderry needed to give Birr a good game in the group stages to give themselves the belief to take them on later in the year, and I remember walking out of Shinrone thinking that Coolderry would only win a county title this year if someone else beat Birr for them. It wasn't that they didn't have the hurlers, but a lot of good hurlers disappeared that day and while there were some starters missing, you won't beat Birr unless at least a dozen of your starters play well.

The start was a huge help to them, but they also held on in the face of real Birr pressure at the end and I'm delighted for them, if for no other reason than they needed to beat Birr for the sake of their own reputation. This championship was infinitely more important to Coolderry and their legacy than the 2010 success - not that Coolderry can be blamed for that, but in 2010 they were never tested, and as we saw against Raharney, that wasn't because they were that good. Last Sunday they had to be good and they really were.

On the Coolderry side, Kevin Brady definitely hurled well, but for me I thought Barry Teehan was man of the match. He hurled countless balls in this game, using the sliothar very well and putting pressure on the Birr defenders as well. He spoiled Harding who never really got into the game and even in the second half, he did enough to keep Rory Hanniffy relatively quiet. It was one of those "engine room" type displays that never seem to win awards but it made more sense for me than Brady or Murray, who could very easily be having nightmares about that late free right now.

For Birr, I think sentiment cost them. Barry Whelahan clearly wasn't up to the pace of a game of this magnitude and he was bypassed utterly with no discrenible effect on the game, while Lonergan when he came in gave them a bit of life and drive, even if his stickwork isn't immaculate. They had a lineup that was going well and tinkering was their main danger sure enough.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.