Clara vs Edenderry 9/10/11

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Clara vs Edenderry 9/10/11

Post by SearingDrive »

EXCITING GAME TODAY, WITHOUT BEING A CLASSIC. AT HALF TIME IT SEEMED THAT CLARA WITH THE BREEZE WOULD TAKE THE GAME. EDENDERRY'S USE OF JOHNNY HURST AS SWEEPER AS SUB FOR MARK YOUNG WAS A MATCH WINNING MOVE. THEY NEUTRALIZED CLARA'S FORWARDS, AND MIGHT HAVE WON BY MORE. IT'S EDENDERRY V ATHY IN NEWBRIDGE ON 13TH NOVEMBER AT 20'CLOCK.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

credit has to go to edenderry today.they were hungry and wanted to win the game more.as a unit they all played for each other and were not looking to one man to win the game, clara forward line was poor and they expected reynolds to do it all.edenderry in the second half put an extra man behind the ball as they did in a few games this year and this prevented clara from getting room for scores.i thought clara would start o hara after he played so well against rhode but they left it to late to bring him on.dalton was excellent in midfield he and basil got all the ball and daltons free taking was perfect.it was a tight game at the end but over all edenderry were the better side, i thought dan nolan was hard done by not even getting a run at the end as he started all the games before the final,but i guess he is young and he might have more days in the sun.surprised to see sean og getting a run dont think he played all year?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

At 5-5 at half time and Clara about to play with a strong breeze behind them, the odds on an Edenderry would have been long. When Clara went 6-5 up straight from the throw in and there seemed to be a knowing murmur in the stadium, that Clara would cruise home. It took them another 25 minutes to score and in between they unravelled badly.

Clara's was another classic case of misuse of the breeze. They kicked it away because they almost felt they had to and wasted a ton of ball. There may well have been an element of complacency in how they went about the early stages of the 2nd half, which became panic when it was clear they were up against it.

Edenderry brought John Hurst on as a sweeper and bizarrely Clara at times left only one inside target to be outnumbered 2 on 1.
Instead of trying to lessen by mismatch by leaving 2, or even 3 inside forwards around the house and allowing the option of bypassing the spare man with deliveries. They had the wind after all.

Around the middle was where Edenderry's platform for the win came from. If kickouts weren't being won cleanly, they devoured the breaks.
In the middle section of the field they huge pressure on any Clara players in possession.

As it turned out, playing into the breeze in the wet conditions almost suited Edenderry given that they are a running team, rather than a kicking team. Relying on collective work rate, rather than star quality.

Edenderry's county title owes a lot to hunger, hard work and team spirit. A lot of other clubs in the county can take inspiration from them.
For a club like Clara with only 6 county titles, they'll really rue losing this one.

white and green flag
Junior C

Post by white and green flag »

Well done to Edenderry it was a great team performance all around, also delighted to see Damien Brasil let play go and didnt blow for slight contact except maybe for two occasions when Edenderry were in for goal and he could have let play progress but for the most part I think he had a good game.

Clara were in the driver seat at half time but surprisingly playing with the wind in the second the high ball in to Reynolds didnt work, their structure and setup was terrible and completely underestimated the opposition but having said that Edenderry wanted it more and their tackling and work rate proved that.

Disappointing day in general from Claras 'big boys' but from a neutral point of view good to see some new talent and new leaders being introduced to Offaly football which is long overdue. This will help Offaly BUILD a wider panel to begin digging our way up from the preverbial gutter of Leinster football.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

What was the estimated crowd at the final today? I'd expect a good showing with 2 town teams and a tasty curtain raiser too!

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Definitely agree with some of the points made already. The high ball into reynolds was never a runner with two men back on him. Though reynolds played well and was probably clara's best on the day, he must have been rightly frustrated with the supply and the kicking options from out the field in the second half. Incidentally i thought Clara's management were very naieve with their persistence of the long ball when obvious shorter balls were on in the second half. additionally, Thomas Deeehan being placed out the field roaming didnt work either (especially in the second half with the wind) and he should have been inside in the inside line where he can finish like he is capable. Ross Brady was beaten hands down at midfield by Dalton and some shocking distribution from both he and the centre back didnt help their cause.

Incidently, i felt clara finished with a much stronger team than what started, with O'Hara, Hiney and Paul Deehans introductions improving the team significantly, though Deehan would be more of a forward. It would be Interesting how it might have panned out if these players had been on from the start. I didnt think Tony Dalton had any bearing in the game and he kicked a very bad wide with Reynolds inside on his own waiting for a pass. Overall Clara were poor as a team with some shocking option taking and poor passing and decision making and there will be serious recriminations and autopsies in Hawk-land as to how they lost this game.

Edenderry on the other hand were full value for the win and probably should have won by more given that they missed a penalty and another 2 or 3 goal opportunities. Their use of the ball was much better and they out worked Clara despite having inferior footballers. They made very good use of their bench though i felt young Dan Nolan was hard done by not to get a run at any stage. Stewart Cullen was called ashore early, despite playing very well which seemed a little odd. Ditto Young though he was reintroduced, probably a tactical ploy due to lack of fitness.

Going Forward, it doesnt auger particularly well for Offaly Football as the standard was poor on the day. Also, while it may be unimportant, this Edenderry team were very fortunate to beat very mediocre Ferbane, Tullamore and Tubber teams in the group stages indicating that the gap has closed from the bunch to the top. this is reinforced by the demise of Rhode, who are a long way from what they were and a Clara team with talented players who were very lucky to beat Pullough in the quarters and will give a lot of hope to other clubs in the year to come. Certain county players were very hard to pick out today, looking very ordinary, especially on the clara team. this shouldnt happen intercounty players on the club stage. Richie Dalton was immense, and Hurst was excellent when introduced for the reds. Pender was very good along with Clara's John Reynolds. Joe Quinn played reasonably well, while Scott Brady seemed short on fitness in the second half. Sadly, the rest of the county players on display were very mediocre. This is a challenge to whoever gets the OY gig. New blood for an OY panel might inlude Cullen and Young who clearly needs a lot of fitness work while Guilfoyle could offer something if he learned to play with his head up and stopped overplaying the ball!

Overall i guess, its a good thing that a new team has won as Rhode, Tullamore and Clara are the only teams to win it in the last ten years. It might breed a new wave of excitement in edenderry towards football as they have struggled at certain times in the last few years...as a result, Offaly might pick up a few new talents in the years to come. God knows, we could badly do with it!!!
jimbob

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

Never ever thought i'd shout for edenderry in my life. but today i went to the game hoping they'd win.. I'm actually hoarse from shouting for them. that was some performance. Pure heart and determination won on the day. Fair play and well done.Fair fu*king play!

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Well done to Edenderry. Great team effort. The management team should be very proud of what they have done with this group of players. Maybe they might be the right option for the county gig now if they would go near it.

Conditions didnt help yesterday and it was a terribly poor standard of football. Edenderry showed the hunger to win it when Clara's big guns didnt seem to want to know about it. Edenderry fully deserved the win and probably by a few more points.

Richie Dalton has received alot of criticism as a county player and I am included in that but he really stood up yesterday and totally outclassed Ross Brady and really won the game for Edenderry. That area of the field is vital especially on a miserably wet and windy day.

For all the youth this Edenderry team have it was actually some of the veterans that stood out and tore Clara apart. Malone and Hurst in particular. These lads were instrumental in their win.

A few lads have commented already that the standard was terrible and Offaly football is in a bad place. Yes it was a poor game. The conditions didnt help but when we look at the year as a whole it gives the true picture. Edenderry, now county champions and the big boys of Offaly football, really struggled against the worst Tullamore team in a decade and a Tubber team that barely survived in senior. As an Edenderry man beside pointed out, the gap between the best and the worst in the county is now very little which is a worrying thought. Clara made a final with one decent performance and minus many players for most of the year. They only drew with teams like Rynaghs and Walsh Island who are weak. The only county men that stood up yesterday were Dalton and Pender. Scott Brady and Joe Quinn had their moments but have had better days.

Now on a positive note, the large majority of this Edenderry team is very young. It shows that underage success does bring that confidence or arrogance that can get you over the line. Maybe that counts for alot. They have good men over them who lets be honest about it transformed the senior football squad in the club. Got rid of the bad eggs and built a close knit squad. Tactically they were Brilliant. I thought it was a super move not playing Nolan. He is young and as I mentioned before that he was a weak link at half back. Id say Clara had identified that too. Then they hit the field and he's not there. Brilliant Edenderry decision making. Edenderry can push on now and be dominant with so much youth. Their only worry is the influence the likes of Malone, Hurst and Keogh bring. Without them it will be harder.

Well done Edenderry, a deserved win on the day.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

jimbob17 wrote:Definitely agree with some of the points made already. The high ball into reynolds was never a runner with two men back on him. Though reynolds played well and was probably clara's best on the day, he must have been rightly frustrated with the supply and the kicking options from out the field in the second half. Incidentally i thought Clara's management were very naieve with their persistence of the long ball when obvious shorter balls were on in the second half. additionally, Thomas Deeehan being placed out the field roaming didnt work either (especially in the second half with the wind) and he should have been inside in the inside line where he can finish like he is capable. Ross Brady was beaten hands down at midfield by Dalton and some shocking distribution from both he and the centre back didnt help their cause.

Incidently, i felt clara finished with a much stronger team than what started, with O'Hara, Hiney and Paul Deehans introductions improving the team significantly, though Deehan would be more of a forward. It would be Interesting how it might have panned out if these players had been on from the start. I didnt think Tony Dalton had any bearing in the game and he kicked a very bad wide with Reynolds inside on his own waiting for a pass. Overall Clara were poor as a team with some shocking option taking and poor passing and decision making and there will be serious recriminations and autopsies in Hawk-land as to how they lost this game.
I would have preferred to see O'Hara start, but I'm not sure if the other two could be considered game changers.

Again, I'm harping on, but leaving one man up against two is a poor tactic. You immediately take away the option to break the ball or lay it off.
So the lone man has to firstly win any ball played in (never easy), get his bearings, suss out where the two defenders are, get turned, get space and get a shot off.
Even when you have someone who is 6'5 like Kieran Donaghy, you don't leave him completely isolated.
Yesterday the spare man was given an easy ride because he never had to decide which player to pick up, and there was no possibility of bypassing him.

The only time Reynolds managed to actually beat the two men was for the soccer style goal chance when both of them lost their footing and the ball bobbled kindly for him.

Anyway, its all done now, Edenderry were worth every ounce and could have won it with a couple of goals.
Clara could do well to reflect on last year allowing Niall McNamee to win a county final for Rhode by gifting him one-on-ones. This year they allowed their own designated target man to be easily collared by a spare man.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i think Edenderry win wasn't that much of a shock, Clara have a history of losing final's they were suppose to win tullamore done the same to them a few years ago
i don't know do the clara players let it go to there heads or are a soft touch in a final, just a question i'am putting out there would Rhode have lost yesterday if they were there :?

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

townman wrote:i think Edenderry win wasn't that much of a shock, Clara have a history of losing final's they were suppose to win tullamore done the same to them a few years ago
i don't know do the clara players let it go to there heads or are a soft touch in a final, just a question i'am putting out there would Rhode have lost yesterday if they were there :?
To answer the question, No i dont think so. I think Rhode would have won it.

It wasnt a shock result. Clara were favourites but the Reds were always in with a good shout. I would'nt say Clara let it go to their heads, I just dont think they were good enough and tactically Edenderry got it right and won the key battles.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Why the hell didnt Clara put Ross Brady on te edge of the square and drive the ball in on top of him.This tactic worked brilliantly in 09 you would have thought they would have used their heads and copied that tactic.

TheRedLad
Junior B

Post by TheRedLad »

Clara simply weren't able to recreate the hunger and determination that they showed when beating Rhode in the semi. It's very tough to keep that intensity going for two games in a row. Once Edenderry avoided the 2 big guns in the semi's, they were going to be heading into a final in the right frame of mind.

Richie Dalton was absolutely immense yesterday, aside from bossing the middle of the field, he surprised many with the quality of his free taking abilities, and he thoroughly deserved his man of the match award. Basil Malone was very good, and his abilty to win breaking ball is amazing. He'll be hard to replace when he goes. The likes of Stephen Guing, Derek Kelly, Johnny Hurst, Colm Byrne and Ciaran Hurley also put in some good performances. Unfortunately for Clara they didn't have so many that played as well, and they still only lost by a point! You would have had to fear for Edenderry if Clara actually performed.
Long John wrote:I thought it was a super move not playing Nolan. He is young and as I mentioned before that he was a weak link at half back. Id say Clara had identified that too. Then they hit the field and he's not there. Brilliant Edenderry decision making.
Jasus John, God forbid if young Nolan actually reads this site. If i recall correctly you said Byrne and Nolan were weak links, and look how well Byrne played, Nolan could have have played well if picked, who knows. But it's hard to argue with the starting team, but as others have said he could have least been given a run at some stage after playing all other rounds.

Hopefully this result provides Offaly football with a much needed shot in the arm. Other clubs will look to what Edenderry have achieved, and believe that they can do the same. Outside Clara and Rhode, the likes of Tullamore with a full panel would be serious contenders. Ferbane will challenge over the coming years with the youngsters in their club. Then you have the likes of Gracefield, Walsh Island, Rynaghs, Ballycumber, Tubber and Erin Rovers who will feel they can be a match for the top teams on any given day.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Apologies redlad. Only read it again. I didnt phrase it the best alright. I thought that area was weak from a defensive point for ye. Good ball players but tend to leave alot of space where they should be when they push too far forward. I think the Edenderry management did well to notice that and act on it. Both are good young footballers and young Nolan will benefit from the experience he has got and will learn from Brady and the management.

On the final point you made, I have to agree, both Tullamore and Ferbane are clubs that can push on next year.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Firstly, congrats to Edenderry and to True Red. It's been a tough few years for the East Offaly men, no doubt compounded by the success of their near neighbours, but I'm sure yesterday wiped away a lot of hurt.

Good luck to them in Leinster :)

To the game, a lot of the main points have been covered. Clara were poor all round. Matt Mitchell spent large parts of the game under-used and confined to a corner of the pitch, while at the other end, I really felt Clara should've played a more classical game, with the forwards where they should've been. These were excellent and well thought-out tactics for the Rhode game, but they didn't apply here.

Edenderry won break after break and put enormous pressure on Clara. In truth, the single point that separated the teams at the end was not a fair reflection of the game.

Clara will have to dust themselves down and regroup. That's not an easy thing to do, having lost the last two County Finals by a point, but life must go on.

We look forward to next year. It will be interesting to measure then how much the face of Offaly Football really is changing. A return to the level of competition that existed in the County in the mid-to-late 90s (where any of 6 teams could've won a championship) would be a good thing for everyone.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!