“Shameful” if Lusmagh and Shamrocks stay Senior

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: “Shameful” if Lusmagh and Shamrocks stay Senior

Post by Lone Shark »

Treasurer wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:Again, they chose to make the drop.
News to me!

Not the case.
My apologies, that was how I was informed at the time. I'll step back from this, I'm going on memory here and I may be mistaken. I do remember asking that question myself of somebody who should have known and being told that Ballyskenach were happy to go down (they even told me that they asked to be regraded all the way down to junior) but I understand that this wasn't first hand information, so I'll accept the correction.

Sorry for the misinformation.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

Lone Shark wrote:
Treasurer wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:Again, they chose to make the drop.
News to me!

Not the case.
My apologies, that was how I was informed at the time. I'll step back from this, I'm going on memory here and I may be mistaken. I do remember asking that question myself of somebody who should have known and being told that Ballyskenach were happy to go down (they even told me that they asked to be regraded all the way down to junior) but I understand that this wasn't first hand information, so I'll accept the correction.

Sorry for the misinformation.
Well if somebody in the club expressed that opinion, I can tell you it was certainly not with the consent or knowledge of the club!

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

If my information is right a proposal was put to the county board a number of years ago,Padraig Horan I think,to reduce the senior championship to ten teams by relegating a team every year even when the likes of Rynaghs Birr K/K won the intermediate! The only time a team could be saved was when the championship had ten teams in it because ten was the minimum amount of teams in it!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

So is there a precedent of relegating teams when a Senior club wins the Intermediate hurling title? Let’s see . . .

1997. IHC winners: Birr. Carrig & Riverstown regarded voluntarily. There are 11 Senior clubs remaining.

1998. IHC winners: Birr. No relegation.

1999. IHC winners: Birr. No relegation.

2000. IHC winners: Shamrocks (promoted). No relegation.

2001. IHC winners: Coolderry. No relegation.

2002. IHC winners: Killavilla (promoted). No relegation.

2003. IHC winners: Clara (promoted). No relegation.

2004. IHC winners: Belmont (promoted). No relegation. There are now 15 clubs!!

2005. IHC winners: Coolderry. No relegation.

Board realise Senior clubs 15 is too many. To reduce it to 12 over two years there will be two relegated at the end of 2006 and another at the end of 2007.

2006. IHC winners: Kilcormac-Killoughey. Clara lose to Ballyskenagh and Killavilla lose to Shamrocks in relegation finals. 13 Senior clubs in 2007

2007. IHC winners: Birr. Ballyskenagh relegated after losing the relegation final to Belmont. 12 Senior clubs in 2008.

2008. IHC winners: Ballyskenagh. Drumcullen relegated after losing relegation round-robin.

2009. IHC winners: Brosna Gaels. Ballyskenagh relegated after losing relegation final to Lusmagh.

2010. IHC winners: Drumcullen. Brosna Gaels relegated after losing relegation final to Belmont.

2011. What’s the precedent?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Putting a proposal is one thing. passing the proposal and making a bye-law is another.
puzzled wrote:If my information is right a proposal was put to the county board a number of years ago,Padraig Horan I think,to reduce the senior championship to ten teams by relegating a team every year even when the likes of Rynaghs Birr K/K won the intermediate! The only time a team could be saved was when the championship had ten teams in it because ten was the minimum amount of teams in it!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I understand my confusion now - I was thinking of when Ballyskenach went down in 2009 as opposed to 2007. Once again, my apologies for misleading people.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

Lone Shark wrote:I understand my confusion now - I was thinking of when Ballyskenach went down in 2009 as opposed to 2007. Once again, my apologies for misleading people.
Not your fault if you're getting wrong information, but Ballyskenagh never chose to go down in any year.