Intermediate Hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Re: Intermediate Hurling

Post by puzzled »

All four quarter finals are being played this sunday
Brosna Gaels v Carrig venue Rath ref M Kirwan 12 oclock
Ballyskenagh v Birr venue Shinrone ref P Freeman 12 oclock
Coolderry v St.Rynaghs venue Kilcormac ref D Cooke 12 oclock
Ballinamere v Killurin venue Moystown ref A Ryan 2 oclock
Relegation play-off saturday
Clara v Killavilla venue Moystown ref A Ryan 2.30

For me the four semi-finalists will be Brosna Gaels,Birr,St.Rynaghs and Ballinamere!
After Clara's performance against Crinkle the last day its hard to see them getting anything against a fired up Killavilla,Clara to be hurling Junior next year!

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

puzzled wrote:All four quarter finals are being played this sunday
Brosna Gaels v Carrig venue Rath ref M Kirwan 12 oclock
Ballyskenagh v Birr venue Shinrone ref P Freeman 12 oclock
Coolderry v St.Rynaghs venue Kilcormac ref D Cooke 12 oclock
Ballinamere v Killurin venue Moystown ref A Ryan 2 oclock
Relegation play-off saturday
Clara v Killavilla venue Moystown ref A Ryan 2.30

For me the four semi-finalists will be Brosna Gaels,Birr,St.Rynaghs and Ballinamere!
After Clara's performance against Crinkle the last day its hard to see them getting anything against a fired up Killavilla,Clara to be hurling Junior next year!
Hard to believe Clara or Killavilla will be hurling Junior next year. Its not too long ago both were in senior grade. Clara have been missing players like Mitchells, and Melia who have been big losses to them this year. With them back they could make a push for survival which they badly need.

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

Long John wrote:
Hard to believe Clara or Killavilla will be hurling Junior next year. Its not too long ago both were in senior grade. Clara have been missing players like Mitchells, and Melia who have been big losses to them this year. With them back they could make a push for survival which they badly need.
It'd be an awful blow for either club to go back to junior hurling but at least Clara have a decent underage structure to bring on young players,it would be hard to see Killavilla coming back up if they go down,if clubs with big picks are being effected by emmigration imagine how clubs like Killavilla are doing!
It was a great acheivement for Killavilla to ever hurl senior but I dont think we'll be seeing it again,the smaller country clubs will stuggle to fill teams if they keep losing players and I've a feeling some of them will end up in imalgamations before too long!

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

backofthenet wrote: It was a good result alright, wouldnt be getting carried away though its very hard to know what kind of form coolderry are in. Rynaghs seem to be going well but Coolderry drew with them last year at this level so may be able to put up a challenge in the qtr final.

To be honest I David hasnt togged out for any of the intermediate matches this year and its really difficult to say if his legs are up to the intermediate grade anymore, undoubtedly is a fine hurler and could probably do a job for 30 - 40 minutes but would probably struggle to stay going for the full 60. Seamus OConnor has been hurling well, Coolderry were missing Declan Parlon again ballinamere so he will come back into the reckoning for the qtr final. I think if Coolderry were to lose the junior semi final next weekend there would probably be a few juniors in the mix for the rynaghs game, if they win the chances are they will probably hold onto them for the final.
Coolderry were very impressive in the Junior semi final today. They will hardly use any of these lads at this stage. But looking at them today theres a good few that are well able to hurl at a higher level and probably will next year. Gracefield gave it everything they had but Coolderry were very very strong all over the field. I tell ya they wouldnt be too far off some of the fancied teams ive seen hurl this year in the Junior A.

The intermediates had a good result last day out but they are meeting a strong Rynaghs team tomorrow and as BOTN said earlier they have a small squad for intermediate.

In fairness to Coolderry from what I saw today they have plenty of talent in the club, they are cruising to a junior title, have an intermediate team in a quarter final without putting in a major effort and their seniors are always in the shake up for honours.

puzzled
All Star

Post by puzzled »

Results from this mornings quarter finals
Coolderry 0-4 St.Rynaghs 3-18
Ballyskenagh 1-14 Birr 3-11
Brosna Gaels 1-15 Carrig 1-6
Relegation play-off result Clara 2-16 Killavilla 0-7
Sad day for Killavilla,pity to see a club with a lot of very genuine people involved going down!

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

puzzled wrote:Results from this mornings quarter finals
Coolderry 0-4 St.Rynaghs 3-18
Ballyskenagh 1-14 Birr 3-11
Brosna Gaels 1-15 Carrig 1-6
Relegation play-off result Clara 2-16 Killavilla 0-7
Sad day for Killavilla,pity to see a club with a lot of very genuine people involved going down!
Coolderry were comprehensively beaten by a good rynaghs side on sunday morning. Very one sided affair Rynaghs shot into an early lead after some great free taking from far out the field. Stephen OConnor on the other hand had a day he would rather forget although the high winds did make free taking extra difficult. Coolderry had one or two goal chances mid way through the half which may have helped them hang on by their fingertips a little while longer, but no score from play until the 50th minute tells its own story.

Having seen Coolderry play Rynaghs, Brosna Gaels and Ballinamere its hard to see Rynaghs being beaten this year, they worked extremely hard all over the pitch and even when the result was well beyond doubt they stayed hurling and ran up a massive scoreline by the finish.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Intermediate Hurling semi-finals

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Semi final wins today for Brosna Gaels over Birr (1-16 to 1-12) in an enjoyable match; and for St Rynagh's over Ballinamere (by a single point, something like 1-13 to 1-12) in a match that never really caught fire for some reason.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

puzzled
All Star

Re: Intermediate Hurling semi-finals

Post by puzzled »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Semi final wins today for Brosna Gaels over Birr (1-16 to 1-12) in an enjoyable match; and for St Rynagh's over Ballinamere (by a single point, something like 1-13 to 1-12) in a match that never really caught fire for some reason.
Ballinamere will look back on this with serious regret,time after time they hit harmless wides or dropped the ball into the Rynaghs goalie they could have won this but another year gone for Ballinamere and the heartbreak goes on for them!
Rynaghs fought hard for everything and are backboned by guys like Shane Horan Colm Keane Nigel White Nigel Woods add in the likes of Stephen Clancy,who made a serious difference when he came on,Rory Wynne and Ethan Mannion who didnt play this evening(injured)they wont fear playing Brosna Gaels and it should be a good final hopefully!

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Do yesterday's results now mean that Brosna Gaels will represent Offaly in the Leinster junior club championship?
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

joe bloggs wrote:Do yesterday's results now mean that Brosna Gaels will represent Offaly in the Leinster junior club championship?
yes i think it does because rynaghs have a senior team.brosna gaels should do well in leinster

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

That's the precedent anyway. Ballinamere represented Offaly in Leinster the last time they were beaten by Birr in the Final.

They're badly drawn though. They've to travel to Dublin and if they manage to win that they've to travel to Kilkenny.
joe bloggs wrote:Do yesterday's results now mean that Brosna Gaels will represent Offaly in the Leinster junior club championship?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

i have my doubts. kk have provided the majority of intermediate winners and its hard see this not continue. i reckon our own club champions will hopefully have a big say in it too..

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

ah junior! misread it. yeah ye ll be in with a shout there. saying that the kk winners are always handy. i think i m right in saying we ve provided the only club to break the kk stranglehold in this comp. you d imagine brosna gaels should be well competitive alright and be good enough to win it. Dub champs are never great. kk are down to semis in junior after the weekend as far as i know. lisdowney are in one. offaly connection being panellist mike the vet bergin resided in banagher for 3/4 years a while back..

Greenwhiteandgold
Intermediate

Post by Greenwhiteandgold »

As far as I know brosna gaels cant represent offaly in the leinster junior because there an almalgamted. the last time ballinamere durrow were it in they were just called ballinamere i think, or sumthing like that..

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Greenwhiteandgold wrote:As far as I know brosna gaels cant represent offaly in the leinster junior because there an almalgamted. the last time ballinamere durrow were it in they were just called ballinamere i think, or sumthing like that..
Cant be sure but did Brosna Gaels junior team not play in the leinster championship after they won the Junior B? I think I remember them going fairly ok in it.