new football manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: new football manager

Post by jimbob17 »

clubman wrote:
jimbob17 wrote:The time is ticking away and the panel are at work trying to procure the new manager or management team. I think it is very important that this is done ASAP so that they can see the championship q finals and the finish of the championships to identify a panel to work with. Any ideas who are in the hunt or who should be in the shake up from inside or outside the county?? I am sure that approaches have been made to various people with regard to their interest as the selection panel are in place for a few weeks now. also who are the people that might make up a good management team, ie selectors etc.....

Tom Coffee has gone down the ranks in my opinion now with the shenanigans of the rhode players in Galway.....This is exactly the kind of thing that offaly needs to clean out to be reasonably competitive again... Any thoughts...
cant blame tom coffey for that ,think there was a lot added to it, he cant stay up all nite going from room to room checking on everyone.still i think he would be a good choice, well respected with players and fans ,also was all this brought up to push him down the pecking order?

absolutely not on here to push anyone up or down any pecking order, just to discuss relevant issues. as you will see above, i reckon he is one of the favourites for the gig. however it is my personal opinion that it doesnt reflect well on him when news about a club he manages goes to galway and destroys rooms in a hotel and it gets plastered in the national newspapers. He is not responsible for messing things up down there obviously and the individuals should be made pay the price but he being manager has to take some form of responsibility his players behaviour.

If this were another county and something similar issue arose under a prospective county managers watch it wouldnt reflect well either. Given that issues around drink, personal discipline and general player behaviour will be a key issue around the selection of the next manager, is it not fair to assume that this does not reflect well. I do get the perception that you are possibly in Tom Coffees corner to get the job, and i dont mind that. However, from a neutral perspective, I am just making a point, and to answer your question bluntly, of course it puts him down the pecking order!!! To think otherwise, one would be a fool. that is not to say he wont get the job, or wont be part of a team that gets the job given the nature of the selection committee.

He deserves to be in the shake up, given what he has achieved with rhode in recent times, but club and county management are poles apart and there are others in the shake up who are not up to the job either in my opinion, not mentioning names. Tom Coffee walked in to an established set up after Steven Darby, and to my mind, have not progressed from that time. Darby did all the hard work and got them to a certain level, and walked away because he wouldnt tolerate what was going on out there. If anyone deserves the job from inside offaly, it is him. You may say that i am being biased, but i have never met the guy, and dont know him at all, but his record speaks for itself. He got that rhode team to their peak. Pat Flanagan has done consistently well over the past ten years and won numerous county championships with various adult club teams and would be right there in the mix except for being with the westies. outside that Phil Reilly and Noel O Brien are two obvious candidates, though i dont think the present selection comittee will consider O Brien or anyone outside their small circle of friends!!!!!
jimbob

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

clubman wrote:
jimbob17 wrote:The time is ticking away and the panel are at work trying to procure the new manager or management team. I think it is very important that this is done ASAP so that they can see the championship q finals and the finish of the championships to identify a panel to work with. Any ideas who are in the hunt or who should be in the shake up from inside or outside the county?? I am sure that approaches have been made to various people with regard to their interest as the selection panel are in place for a few weeks now. also who are the people that might make up a good management team, ie selectors etc.....

Tom Coffee has gone down the ranks in my opinion now with the shenanigans of the rhode players in Galway.....This is exactly the kind of thing that offaly needs to clean out to be reasonably competitive again... Any thoughts...
cant blame tom coffey for that ,think there was a lot added to it, he cant stay up all nite going from room to room checking on everyone.still i think he would be a good choice, well respected with players and fans ,also was all this brought up to push him down the pecking order?

absolutely not on here to push anyone up or down any pecking order, just to discuss relevant issues. as you will see above, i reckon he is one of the favourites for the gig. however it is my personal opinion that it doesnt reflect well on him when news about a club he manages goes to galway and destroys rooms in a hotel and it gets plastered in the national newspapers. He is not responsible for messing things up down there obviously and the individuals should be made pay the price but he being manager has to take some form of responsibility his players behaviour.

If this were another county and something similar issue arose under a prospective county managers watch it wouldnt reflect well either. Given that issues around drink, personal discipline and general player behaviour will be a key issue around the selection of the next manager, is it not fair to assume that this does not reflect well. I do get the perception that you are possibly in Tom Coffees corner to get the job, and i dont mind that. However, from a neutral perspective, I am just making a point, and to answer your question bluntly, of course it puts him down the pecking order!!! To think otherwise, one would be a fool. that is not to say he wont get the job, or wont be part of a team that gets the job given the nature of the selection committee.

He deserves to be in the shake up, given what he has achieved with rhode in recent times, but club and county management are poles apart and there are others in the shake up who are not up to the job either in my opinion, not mentioning names. Tom Coffee walked in to an established set up after Steven Darby, and to my mind, have not progressed from that time. Darby did all the hard work and got them to a certain level, and walked away because he wouldnt tolerate what was going on out there. If anyone deserves the job from inside offaly, it is him. You may say that i am being biased, but i have never met the guy, and dont know him at all, but his record speaks for itself. He got that rhode team to their peak. Pat Flanagan has done consistently well over the past ten years and won numerous county championships with various adult club teams and would be right there in the mix except for being with the westies. outside that Phil Reilly and Noel O Brien are two obvious candidates, though i dont think the present selection comittee will consider O Brien or anyone outside their small circle of friends!!!!!
jimbob

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Stephen Darby should be offered the gij, but is he interested, he should have got it years ago, he's doing a great job with Carbury.

clubman
Junior A

Post by clubman »

any word on new football manager

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

clubman wrote:any word on new football manager
Tom Coffie's got it Sown up i'd say, he had it in the bag as soon as the managment selection committie was picked. the lads on the board won't look outside of their cozy little world of Offaly Football, that's not a slight against Tom i just think that the board will not bother too much to look at the other candidates.

i reckon it will go something like: "Right lads lets make this quick, all in Favor of Tom Say I"

All: "i"

"Right who's up for a round of points"

Or something to that affect anyway

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Well folks, surely progress has been made in this direction of late. surprising that no decision has been made already!! who are the teams going forward for the gig and who is the front runner??
jimbob

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

The draw is tonight and we have no manager. Our championship is at the final stage and we have no manager. Obviously the new man is known and has been watching all the games, or we are just cruising down the same shite path we have for the last few appointments. Appoint a man who has no idea of the players or their form. Let him pick a team that is basically last years team with a couple of under 21s or something, and then give out when the results are just as bad as last year. Who said that the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results?
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

their was a rumour that Brian Mullins the ex Dublin star of the 70's and 80's was at the semil-finals could be just a rumour

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

azoffaly wrote:Who said that the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results?
I think that may be the definition of insanity AZ. In this case, I'm not going to argue the toss, since it's irrelevant to your point, which I endorse.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Its hard to say if the county board are sitting on the fence or not, maybe they are, maybe there not.

It could go either way.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

The Magpie wrote:
azoffaly wrote:Who said that the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results?
I think that may be the definition of insanity AZ. In this case, I'm not going to argue the toss, since it's irrelevant to your point, which I endorse.
i wasn't at the games myself but i heard from a Shamrocks clubman who said he saw him at it, if he was their i think a lot more people would have been on here about it
as for Mullins himself would be a great move for offaly he would bring the fire and belly back into offaly football which has sadly been missing since tommy lyons left.

west offaly power
Junior C
Club: wheery

Post by west offaly power »

tommy lyons return ? :?:

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

from independent.ie

Coffey pulls out of race for Offaly job

TOM COFFEY has withdrawn from the contest to be the next Offaly football manager, citing the "unprofessional" attitude of the county board as the reason for his decision.

Coffey was one of three candidates the board had been considering in recent weeks, but the length of time it is taking them to complete the process has frustrated Coffey to the extent that he has opted out.

"It's now heading for the middle of October. Offaly are out of the championship since early July and the previous manager (Tom Cribbin) stepped down at the end of July," said Coffey.

"This process is taking far too long. The interviews took place two weeks ago and there is still no word, no decision. It's unprofessional and I have informed the chairman (Pat Teehan) that I am withdrawing," said Coffey.

Cribbin's replacement will now be either former Dublin footballer Jack Sheedy or Offaly legend Stephen Darby.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Anyone know if there is something else going on here that we dont know about? I would hardly call a 2 week period between interview and decision as a reason for pulling out of the race. In fairness, I am sure the selection committee are going through their own internal process which may involve several meetings, which take time.
There is no way that he said - "right, it has been 2 weeks already, I'm out!"...

Surely it is Darby's now?

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

llkj wrote:Anyone know if there is something else going on here that we dont know about? I would hardly call a 2 week period between interview and decision as a reason for pulling out of the race. In fairness, I am sure the selection committee are going through their own internal process which may involve several meetings, which take time.
There is no way that he said - "right, it has been 2 weeks already, I'm out!"...

Surely it is Darby's now?
I thought the same today when I seen it. Maybe Darby has been given an indication that he will be announced as manager soon enough and Coffey has decided to pull out before it's announced Darby was selected ahead of him. I'm only speculating but if he waited around since the end of July until 2 weeks ago to get an interview, why the knee-jerk reaction to pull out while still a contender?
Keep The Faith