Free taker for 2006

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Free taker for 2006

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

Given that the debate as to whom should be on the 2006 football panel has kicked off in earnest, a key consideration for next year should be a reliable free taker.

Who is the best free taker currently in the county ?

Can we carry a good free taker if his allround game is not up too much ?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't think we have a free taker good enough to warrant being carried. Someone like Colin Corkery who hits 80% of all frees is worth carrying - with us the difference is so small that it's not worth talking about.

I'd be happy with Quinn from close range and give Padraig Kelly the long range ones. He's winning these fricking Cic Fadas regularly, where you don't just kick it a long way, you have to put it between posts - why not let him do it for us?

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

give Padraig Kelly the long range ones. He's winning these fricking Cic Fadas regularly
Pity he didn't do it when it counted. I can still see that kick against Kildare in Croker. No offence to PK.

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

LS, I agree that Quinn is our most reliable but will he make the team in 2006 ?

If Offaly are to be successful, a decent free taker is critical. 60's - Donnelly, 70's - Mctague, 80's - the great Matt Connor.

Offaly have never had a successful football team without a great free taker. I don't think calling up PK from the goals is the solution, particularly if the Shamrocks/Clara semi effort, and the Kildare game are anything to go by.

Think back over the past 6 years of heartbreak in Leinster. How many games did we lose by a point or two ? How many handy points did we miss from kickable frees ?

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Very true mighty, look at Dublins history, Keaveney, Rock, Redmond.
With all the club players in Dublin they've still struggled to fill Redmonds boots, not sure they have yet either. They are a special breed as it takes more than just an accurate boot. Not easy found.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Therein lies the rub - this would be a completely different debate if a rock solid free taker was being left off the team. Such a player doesn't exist, at least not to my knowledge, though maybe somewhere in the wilds of junior football he lurks, waiting to deliver us all to the promised land....