AFL grand final - International series

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ballymanabroad
All Star

AFL grand final - International series

Post by ballymanabroad »

OK sports fans, the business ends of the All Ireland and the AFL have been reached.

Last night Ben Cousins won the Brownlow medal (which is a little bit like the player of the year but it also includes how fair they have been sop if they were reported for an offence during the year and charged they are exempt from winning it even if they finish it with most of the points). He was pushed all the way by Dan Kerr. Both are West Coast players and both of them are playing in the Grand Final on saturday. They are playing Sydney and if any of you watched TG4 last saturday you would have seen an extraordinary end to a pretty average game between Sydney and Geelong. Nick Davis (who could be one to watch if he plays in the International series) scored 4 goals in the last quarter with the winning score in the last second to let Sydney take the lead for the first time in the game.

Last saturday West Coast defeated Adelaide (who were mine and the average punter's favorite for the premiership) decisively and Sydney were too strong for the youthful St Kilda. Barry Hall, the Sydney captain (who could be heavyweight boxing champion of Australia) stuck his fist into Matt Maguire (if he plays in the series expect him to mark P. Joyce) and has been banned for two games. So he will miss the final. He is appealing it to the tribunal as I write this. I still think that Sydney will win it but I have been wrong in every game in the finals series so what do I know?

It is too early to say who will be playing in the International series but if West Coast win the Grand final I cant see too many of their players making themselves available despite the first game being played in their home town of Perth. It is more likely that players who have not been involved in the finals will go for it. Some players have had a 2 week break already so they might want to salvage seasons where they didn't get into the finals by being part of a team that wins an international (limited as it may be) tournament. Look at the Australian cricketers and the rugby team this summer. Both were outplayed and out manouvered. Now some will rightly put this down to injuries at critical times to critical players but the Aussie mindset is not used to losing so badly.

Expect the International Series coach (Kevin Sheedy who has 25 years of AFL experience) to get them playing a running game and more focused at winning back the Cormac McAnallen cup. After their humiliation last year they might be too good for us this year.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

Traditionally the team has been selected from the All Australian team but many of the players opt out of the international series as it coincides with their non contracted time. Players have 2 months off at the end of a season and then it is back into pre season before another 22 games to qualify for the finals series. Any players who need surgery on shoulders predominately of on their knees or hands will be ruled out. Some players may feel that they cannot play because their body needs the rest. Players like the Bulldogs Scott West and perhaps the ex captain and Collingwood player Nathan Brown may not play.

As soon as the team is selected I will post it and give a speel on the players.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

The Biff
All Star

AFL

Post by The Biff »

Good stuff ballymanabroad. I'm a big fan of the InterRules series and I think it will be very interesting to see how this years Aussie team shapes up. The impression has often been that possibly most of the AFL do not like the InterRules. Every year has seen a huge nunber of cry-offs. I know that this year they are NOT using the All-Aus teeam as the starting point, but rather Sheedy will draw up a specific panel. Maybe if they can minimise the cry-offs by actually checking with the players considered first, it might "appear" that he has a panel actually interested in playing.

Looking forward to your take on the panel when it comes out. I take it you are based in Aus, so whatever mood you sense among the grassroot fans would also be interesting.

Meanwhile, best of luck to Tadhg in the Grand Final.

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

Barry Hall is playing in the grand final on saturday. he pleaded guilty to a striking charge but the charge was downgraded. Seemingly there is a difference between when the ball is in play rather than when it it out of play. The inference is that out of play means a pre-meditated hit or strike on an opposing player whereas an in-ball hit means you are merely tussling for the ball.

I heard a report that channel 10 (Aussie broadcaster) are sending a camera crew down to Kerry to show Tadgh's supporters enjoying a live broadcast of the grand final. Any truth in the roumer? Is it being shown on TG4?

As for word on the street regarding the series. Well nobody is talking about it now and I can't see anybody talking until Sheedy announces the squad.

yokohama deise
Junior B

Post by yokohama deise »

hi ballyman!

what is the craic like in melbourne?
will be through there in a few days and have tkts for the game at Telstra dome ... where are the good watering holes?

how many Brownlowe points did Tadgh end up with?

Go the SWANNIES!

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

I think he got 2 early on and he surely would have picked up a few in their loss to West Coast in the 1st prelim final game. Good question. I don't really know.

If you are heading to the Telstra dome you should start in town in The Irish Times. Always a good place to start because you never know where you will end up afterwards. But they can drink beer in the stadiums here so the dome itself will be a right laugh if you go there.

There are loads of Irish over here so if you want to come along send me a pm and I'll give you a contact number.

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

I suppose you will be watching tomorrow. Up the Swannies indeed. Even though my club colours in Offaly are the same as the West Coast. Hope Tadgh plays well. He is one of the short odds for the Norm Smith medal. I think Kirk or Cousins will take it though.

yokohama deise
Junior B

Post by yokohama deise »

watched the start of the brownlowe where he got 2 but didn't see it all,
guess he didn't get anymore!

was at a game at the MCG about 6 weeks ago (collingwood v carlton) but was just passing thru melb that time!

all the people i know in melb are locals and i'll be around until Nov 10th with the course so i'll pm you and hopefully meet up for a few pints!

The Biff
All Star

Grand Final

Post by The Biff »

Fair play to TG4. They are going to show Full Coverage of the Grand Final on Saturday, although it is deferred until midday (no problem there, I can still have my customary lie-in) and again sometime around 10:10 on Saturday night. Good on them for recognising the interest in this with "one of our own" set to star.

p.s. Woohoo! I'm like those Cricket Century scorers. I'll wave my hurley to the crowds.