Offaly Senior Football Club Championship 2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Truth as i see it
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Football Club Championship 2011

Post by Truth as i see it »

offalyman08 wrote:
Truth as i see it wrote:Sorry lads i know this is off topic but i was checking out the results section of the Offaly Website and i noticed their were a few 0-0 scores in the minor and u-16 sections from last weekend.

Just wondering what the story is, were they walk overs? were they abandoned after an amount of time played? surly there must have been a score in a game.

Anyone know whats going on???

U16.. Ferbane 3-6 2-6 Tullamore, Gracefield 3-18 1-3 St Vincents.
Minors.. St Broughans 1-18 1-8 Edenderry, Tullamore 0-13 2-7 Rhode, St Rynaghs 0-9 2-10 Ferbane.............

Any of the rest with 0-0 probably didnt take place for some reason
Cheers Offalyman , erm.. consider my little tantrum to be over, its been a tough week at work, gotta blow off steam some where :)

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

This weekends odds

Friday:
Rhode 1/9 vs Tubber 5/1... Draw 12/1

Saturday:
Gracefield 2/5 vs Shamrocks 9/4.... Draw 15/2
Clara 1/4 vs Ballycumber 10/3.... Draw 9/1

Sunday:
Walsh Island 1/3 vs St Rynaghs 5/2..... Draw 9/1
Ferbane 5/6 vs Edenderry 11/10.... Draw 7/1
Erin Rovers 10/11 vs Tullamore Evens..... Draw 7/1

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Victor Chandler are going 9/1 about the draw in the Ferbane vs Edenderry match - ridiculously high price about two very even teams and what is highly likely to be a low scoring game.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

offalyman08 wrote:This weekends odds

Friday:
Rhode 1/9 vs Tubber 5/1... Draw 12/1

Saturday:
Gracefield 2/5 vs Shamrocks 9/4.... Draw 15/2
Clara 1/4 vs Ballycumber 10/3.... Draw 9/1

Sunday:
Walsh Island 1/3 vs St Rynaghs 5/2..... Draw 9/1
Ferbane 5/6 vs Edenderry 11/10.... Draw 7/1
Erin Rovers 10/11 vs Tullamore Evens..... Draw 7/1

Any of the outsiders worth a gamble,Rynaghs at 5/2 or Ballycumber 10/3 ?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I think both are in with a puncher's chance, as any readers of my betting column will know. Clara and D'Island posters might disagree.

Incidentally, there is a story going around about a former Walsh Island and Offaly player, who when involved (I use the term loosely since I'm not sure of the detail) with the Offaly football set up at some level (don't want to go into detail here) espoused the belief that there was no point looking west of Clara for county footballers.

Now I've heard this story, but never from anywhere that I could rule out the possibility of it just being an urban myth. Anyone else able to confirm or deny this?

I just thought it was an apt time to bring it up..... :P

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

Lone Shark wrote:Victor Chandler are going 9/1 about the draw in the Ferbane vs Edenderry match - ridiculously high price about two very even teams and what is highly likely to be a low scoring game.

I couldnt imagine there been anymore than 1 or 2 points between these sides there rarely is. I also doubt either will amass more than ten points. The two points for Ferbane should guarantee them a quarter final IF Tullamore beat Tubber in the final game while 1 point for Edenderry should see them through.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Results from the weekend so far:
Rhode 1-15 - 0-12 Tubber
Gracefield 4-7 - 0-8 Shamrocks
Clara 2-9 - 1-7 Ballycumber.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Offaly2010 wrote:Results from the weekend so far:
Rhode 1-15 - 0-12 Tubber
Gracefield 4-7 - 0-8 Shamrocks
Clara 2-9 - 1-7 Ballycumber.
Correction:

Clara 2-12 - Ballycumber 1-7

Also, I agree that Rynaghs could be well worth a punt.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

Pollough beat Tullamore 1-11 to 0-08 this evening. Tullamore were awful.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Edenderry beat Ferbane 1-13 to 0-11
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I think Clara and Edenderry were the big winners of the weekend, they were the only two clubs that looked like they have some chance of giving Rhode a game in the championship. Both teams still have a long way to go, but the Reds have the advantage of a "fact finding" mission in the next round when they can try to figure out how to take on the champions.

From a Ferbane perspective, yesterday was hugely disappointing obviously, however there certainly could be no complaints after being utterly outclassed. Most of the Edenderry forwards had the upper hand on their direct markers, and despite winning plenty of primary possession - as we usually do, in fairness - we coughed up a lot of ball due to misplaced passes and invariably Edenderry made us pay by moving the ball down the field and creating a good scoring chance.

You forget how many of that Edenderry team have played underage or even senior football for the county until you see the teamsheet and while I didn't think so yesterday, it was encouraging to see lads like Derek Kelly and Stuart Cullen playing well.

Walsh Island will be better when Brian Connor comes back of course but they need a lot more than him to get up to the standard required. There are a lot of lads on that team that just don't contribute enough and the way Ciarán Flannery was able to dictate the game against Rory Connor will be a huge worry.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Having seen alot of the games over the weekend I have to say the standard is very poor at the moment. Not one team stood out and some were just dreadful. Shamrocks are just a complete mess. Gracefield looked a poorer outfit than I expected. Clara are struggling without some key men but actually did well on saturday with the team they fielded. Ballycumber who I thought might cause an upset were dreadful. Walsh Island and Rynaghs both doing the best with what they have but very poor football. Edenderry are making good progress but should be a long way off winning county title, and Ferbane have fallen away again terribly after showing glimpses of what they can do in earlier rounds.

Rhode must be just plodding along at this rate. A six point win over Tubber is not a hectic winning margin with the gulf in quality between both teams. Tullamore were apparently useless aginst Rovers. Rovers another team that are getting the max out of what they have at their disposal.

The likes of Rynaghs and Rovers have to be admired for making such progress but is it not just the case that the standard within the county has dropped to a new low. It might not have been a super high standard but there was always 4 or 5 teams very well prepared and playing quality football. The stuff I, as did many of you witness at the weekend was just incredibly poor.

From what I saw at the weekend it was just fierce poor and it really signalled the problems facing whoever gets the Manager's job of the county team.

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

Lone Shark wrote:I think Clara and Edenderry were the big winners of the weekend, they were the only two clubs that looked like they have some chance of giving Rhode a game in the championship. Both teams still have a long way to go, but the Reds have the advantage of a "fact finding" mission in the next round when they can try to figure out how to take on the champions.

From a Ferbane perspective, yesterday was hugely disappointing obviously, however there certainly could be no complaints after being utterly outclassed. Most of the Edenderry forwards had the upper hand on their direct markers, and despite winning plenty of primary possession - as we usually do, in fairness - we coughed up a lot of ball due to misplaced passes and invariably Edenderry made us pay by moving the ball down the field and creating a good scoring chance.

You forget how many of that Edenderry team have played underage or even senior football for the county until you see the teamsheet and while I didn't think so yesterday, it was encouraging to see lads like Derek Kelly and Stuart Cullen playing well.
I think all bar one player has represented Offaly at one stage or another (or at least was a member of a panel)... In regards to giving Rhode a game, well that could be a bit away yet but if there is one team in the county that doesn't mind playing Rhode, it is Edenderry.

toughtackler
Junior A

Post by toughtackler »

[/quote]

I think all bar one player has represented Offaly at one stage or another (or at least was a member of a panel)... In regards to giving Rhode a game, well that could be a bit away yet but if there is one team in the county that doesn't mind playing Rhode, it is Edenderry.[/quote]

For a change Edenderry can actually play with no fear..They've been in a relagation battle for the past number of years and also have been relegated.For the first time since 06 (I think) they are in a quarter final.They will give Rhode a belly full but I still think they may be off the mark a bit...They will give some team a tough game in a quarter final but this is a young team with a mixture of experience which will help them come along...Small steps but it can only do Offaly football the world of good to have an Edenderry team challenging!!!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

toughtackler wrote:..Small steps but it can only do Offaly football the world of good to have an Edenderry team challenging!!!
All the more so now that Tullamore seems to be going backwards, Shamrocks likewise and Clara is standing still at best. The likes of Rynaghs and Erin Rovers going well is good to see, but clubs like that can only do so much with the population at their disposal. Edenderry is a large town that needs to be contributing heavily to Offaly teams. Based on what I saw last Sunday from a largely young team, they definitely have the scope to do so.