new football manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
blue74
Junior B

Re: new football manager

Post by blue74 »

whatever about a high profile manager getting to a leinster final in the next 3 or 4 years dosent seem realistic unless I am missing something.

Yes we have some good talented players but there is a lot of average players out there that wouldnt make the first team of kildare dublin etc and I would see a more realistic hope of getting promotion from division 3 as a goal.

offaly at the moment despite the odd glimpse of good play like the monagahan game are a mid to bottom level team and it will take a dam good manager to improve them to get anywhere near a leinster final.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Lads Micko is no eejit. He has a good track record of success certainly, but achievements in the 1970's and 1980's are irrelevant now since the game bears no resemblance to the football that was played back then, while the counties that Micko went to in Leinster were all underachieving spectacularly, and had ingredients in place to make success easier.

In Kildare, he actually had plenty of time since his first stint didn't yield anything. This is a county with a strong club scene, with no hurling to speak of and a population over double that of Offaly. He had the "resources" at his disposal to bring in players from outside that were crucial to the cause. Don't forget it was Corkman Brian Murphy that scored the goal that got them over the line in 1998, while Karl O'Dwyer, Brian Lacey and the Carlow lad whose name escapes me now were all crucial.

In Laois he came in when a group of young players who had swept the boards up along the line were maturing, and in Wicklow he went to a county where winning a few games in the qualifiers represented their biggest achievement of all time. He never got them out of division four, he never reached a Leinster semi final, he never beat any team that good, and yet he's considered a messiah - all he really had to do was use his name to get players out and playing who up to then were more interesting in playing for Rathnew.

Budgetary issues aside, I don't think that Offaly represents the "low hanging fruit" that Micko likes to go after.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Do not let "Micko" near the place. He offers little but will take alot. It would be throwing money away.

Who should get the job....?? Anybody who can knock this drinking culture out of the lads. Get a squad together who will train as hard as is now required at this level to at least compete. Get a plan in place and try build some consistency and work their way up the divisions.

The players are going to have to start making sacrifices if they want to play football at this level. At the moment they just do not realise what is needed. It certainly is a huge commitment, but I personally think if you sign up for this then you have to give it everything or be caught out. At the moment Offaly are being caught out.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Ah lads. I think ye're being a bit harsh on MIcko. Has he been lucky all this time? Wicklow drawing with Armagh away was some result in fairness. (Was Garvan Ware that Carlow guy)

Offaly won't be able to afford him if they wanted him.

Surprised there is not more talk about the hurling job which, unlike the football one, is available as of now.

Would Kevin Martin be in with a shout? Daithi Regan suggested Eugene Coughlan? Is there an internal manager that could do the job? Can't remember the statistic I heard recently but only a tiny proportion of recent all-irelands have been won with outside managers

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

ok so who are the candidates for the football and hurling and what are the odds
reckon for the football, the main players and odds for me are

1 Steven Darby 3-1 F
2 Tom Coffee 5-1
3 Phil Reilly 7-1
combination of the 3 above 4-1
5 Noel O Brien 7-1
6 Pat Flanagan 10-1 high because he will stay with the westies
7 Gerry Cooney 12-1
8 James Stewart 12-1
9 Paul O Kelly 15-1
10 Mick O Dwyer 20-1
11 Mark Plunkett 50-1
12 Andy Shorthall 50-1
13 Joe Higgins laoise 100-1
14 Ken Kellaghan 150-1
10 Paschal Kellaghan 150-1

As for the hurling, for me the main players are
1 Ken Hogan 3-1
2 Dinny Cahill 4-1
3 Kevin Martin & Damien Fox 5-1
4 Vincent Teehan 6-1
5 Francis Forde 10-1
6 Padraig Horan 10-1
7 Eugene Coughlan 14-1
8 Johnny Dooley 16-1
9 Damien Martin 20-1
10 Ollie Baker 20-1
11 Tommie Dunne 20-1
12 Nicholas English 25-1
13 Hubert Rigney 50-1
14 John Leahy KK 50-1
15 Carlow Boss 50-1

Thats not to say that i think that that is the way it should be. Not a prayer of getting micko or Nicky English id say, so itll be an OY man i reckon on both counts though there is a very good chance a tipp man will get the hurling gig.... :wink:
jimbob

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

Tom Cribben has decided not to seek another term in charge of our footballers!
Thats the right decision for me,now the committee can concentrate on appointing his successor!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I think overall Cribbin did a good job. When he took over early in 2009 the footballers were on an express route to Division 4 and they wouldn't have escaped it again in a hurry. The set up was a real mess after Pat Roe's tenure.

Whether he was capable of taking the footballers to the next level, or whether the team is actually capable of moving up to the next level, I'm not so sure on. The early part of his tenure would have involved a lot of fire-fighting in trying to fill problem positions.
So we could either be glad that the ship was restored to an even keel, or else disappointed that there wasn't a significant upturn in fortunes.

It should also be noted that he chose not to fleece the county for money. That is admirable when you contrast it with others who are milking the teats with both hands...into a bucket with plenty of milk in it already.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

Long time no post from me I know :oops:
I would like to see ex Wexford manager Jason Ryan or someone like that take over, he did a fantastic job at Wexford in bringing a team that wouldn't be considered top tier up to at least top tier in Leinster and taking some good scalps along the way. With a bit of luck they might have had more to show for it.
Work ethic, comitment, organisation and fitness are probably more important than ever before, just look at Kildare and Donegal and teams like that now, thats what a new manager need to bring to the table in my opinion..

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Maybe Kieran McGeeney might be in the running now too after tonight???

clubman
Junior A

Post by clubman »

Maybe Kieran McGeeney might be in the running now too after tonight???,dont think so, he would cost more than micko and hasnt won anything

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

interesting that all teams left in championship have home grown manager.

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Coffey touted for Offaly job

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

Former county star Tom Coffey is being strongly linked with the vacant senior football manager's post in Offaly.

Wing back on the last Offaly team to lift the Leinster SFC title in 1997, Coffey had three highly successful years in charge of Rhode who he guided to two Dowling Cups and two Leinster club final appearances - both of which they lost to Kilmacud Crokes.

The Ballyfore native previously managed Offaly for a few weeks between Richie Connor's resignation and Tom Cribbin's appointment in early 2009.

The Offaly county board has appointed a selection committee to choose Tom Cribbin's successor which comprises county chairman Pat Teehan, county secretary Martin Boland, St. Brigid's delegates Laz Molloy and Mick Casey, Gerard Noonan from Rhode and Ballycumber's Jim Kelly.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=153269
Keep The Faith

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

The time is ticking away and the panel are at work trying to procure the new manager or management team. I think it is very important that this is done ASAP so that they can see the championship q finals and the finish of the championships to identify a panel to work with. Any ideas who are in the hunt or who should be in the shake up from inside or outside the county?? I am sure that approaches have been made to various people with regard to their interest as the selection panel are in place for a few weeks now. also who are the people that might make up a good management team, ie selectors etc.....

Tom Coffee has gone down the ranks in my opinion now with the shenanigans of the rhode players in Galway.....This is exactly the kind of thing that offaly needs to clean out to be reasonably competitive again... Any thoughts...
jimbob

clubman
Junior A

Post by clubman »

jimbob17 wrote:The time is ticking away and the panel are at work trying to procure the new manager or management team. I think it is very important that this is done ASAP so that they can see the championship q finals and the finish of the championships to identify a panel to work with. Any ideas who are in the hunt or who should be in the shake up from inside or outside the county?? I am sure that approaches have been made to various people with regard to their interest as the selection panel are in place for a few weeks now. also who are the people that might make up a good management team, ie selectors etc.....

Tom Coffee has gone down the ranks in my opinion now with the shenanigans of the rhode players in Galway.....This is exactly the kind of thing that offaly needs to clean out to be reasonably competitive again... Any thoughts...
cant blame tom coffey for that ,think there was a lot added to it, he cant stay up all nite going from room to room checking on everyone.still i think he would be a good choice, well respected with players and fans ,also was all this brought up to push him down the pecking order?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

tom coffey wouldnt be my choice, alright he won a bit with rhode but when he took over he wasnt exactly taking over a bad team.they already had won a few championships under darby, county job is much harder much more demanding.rhode in the leinster this year could have done with more from the sideline,there didnt seem to be much of a plan.on a side note players should be responsible for their actions, tom coffey as post said before couldnt be running after 30 players,whatever happened is their business and take whatever punishment comes to them.