new football manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
black and red exile
All Star

Re: new football manager

Post by black and red exile »

Tom Cribben gave an interview on one of the radio stations a few weeks back when he answered a question about the drink culture in the squad and I'm very surprised nobody else has picked up on this, he's answer to the drink question was ''Ah the lads know they are not to take a drink 2 weeks before a game'' 2 WEEKS, for god sake 2 WEEKS, I thought I was hearing things. A neighbour of mine here in Kildare was on the Kildare panel during the winter and early spring before the panel was cut and he explained to me the incredible sacrifices the Kildare players make to get where they are today, the training, self dicipline and a tatal drink ban until they are out of the championship, anybody that takes a pint during this period is dismissed without any second chances and hearing of their incredible training programme had me breathless even listening to it. Look it, Tom Cribben is a nice guy who threw everything into the job but the dogs in the street knew that the commitment wasn't there from alot of our county footballers, whoever is the next boss whether it's from inside or outside the County is going to have to lay down the law big time over the drink situation from the word go, no excuses whatsoever the messing has to end now or we will be whingeing about the same thing this time next year again.
These Kildare players would walk over hot coals for Kieran McGeeney, just one example, 5 years ago James Kavanagh couldn't get his place on a Ballymore championship team, now he is an all star, that says it all.

Real Rob
Junior B
Club: Offaly NYC

Post by Real Rob »

These Kildare players would walk over hot coals for Kieran McGeeney, just one example, 5 years ago James Kavanagh couldn't get his place on a Ballymore championship team, now he is an all star, that says it all.
James Kavanagh has been on the Kildare Panel since 2004 so it most be some Club Team if he is on the County Panel and not on the Ballymore Team

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well i remember Joe Dooleys first year over offaly i think it was and Jame's Gorman from K/K was on the panel
but yet he wasn't able to make his club side the same year :shock:

black and red exile
All Star

Real Rob, I was working with a selector on that Ballymore team of that time and he was very critical of Kavanagh's attidude and dreadful poor form at the time, the James Kavanagh of today is a different player to one of 5 years ago and also the Kildare squad of 5 years ago were going nowhere fast either if you remember, ok smart arse.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

black and red exile wrote:Real Rob, I was working with a selector on that Ballymore team of that time and he was very critical of Kavanagh's attidude and dreadful poor form at the time, the James Kavanagh of today is a different player to one of 5 years ago and also the Kildare squad of 5 years ago were going nowhere fast either if you remember, ok smart arse.
I think we should declare Offaly GAA a disaster area, and call in John O'Shea of GOAL to give a TV Ad. in his inimitable style from O'Connor Park, if he can get in of course!!).
Seriously though, Tom Cribbin's time is up, 3 years, 3 championship losses. The next manager should be given a 3 year term with definite goals, promotion from Div. 3, and targetting a Leinster SFC final in 3 years.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

I think we should be looking at someone like Ben Affleck to come in & do a job for us.

His rugged good looks and charm are sure to make any man want to go that extra mile in search of a Leinster championship!!

Diego
Junior C
Club: WI

Post by Diego »

I think an outside manager is required.
Someone like Peter Canavan.

What did Kieran McGeeney know about Kildare football before he started there?? Nothing

A no nonsense character like him is whats required.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

black and red exile wrote:Tom Cribben gave an interview on one of the radio stations a few weeks back when he answered a question about the drink culture in the squad and I'm very surprised nobody else has picked up on this, he's answer to the drink question was ''Ah the lads know they are not to take a drink 2 weeks before a game'' 2 WEEKS, for god sake 2 WEEKS, I thought I was hearing things. A neighbour of mine here in Kildare was on the Kildare panel during the winter and early spring before the panel was cut and he explained to me the incredible sacrifices the Kildare players make to get where they are today, the training, self dicipline and a tatal drink ban until they are out of the championship, anybody that takes a pint during this period is dismissed without any second chances and hearing of their incredible training programme had me breathless even listening to it. Look it, Tom Cribben is a nice guy who threw everything into the job but the dogs in the street knew that the commitment wasn't there from alot of our county footballers, whoever is the next boss whether it's from inside or outside the County is going to have to lay down the law big time over the drink situation from the word go, no excuses whatsoever the messing has to end now or we will be whingeing about the same thing this time next year again.
Don't get carried away on the drinks bans. Kerry don't have a year long drink ban for example, and they do alright. Fair enough, you can't be lashing porter into you and expect to get the most out of training, but a few bottles every weekend after the match is not going to cause you to lose All Irelands. I think 2 weeks before a championship match is what Kerry do, and it's sensible enough if Offaly do that too.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

In the long grass
Senior

Post by In the long grass »

See in the papers this morning, Micko isn't quite finished yet! Although his stint with Wicklow is finished he is leaving the door open for another managerial role! He would hardly consider the team who stopped his Five-in-a-row in '82!?

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Micko says in his book that he would love to manage Offaly.

We can't afford him though.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

I think at this stage Mick O'Dwyer should be a realistic canditate to manage our footballers in 2012. The only stumbling block would be his expenses but I'm sure if he were to recieve what the hurling management was rumoured to have received then I'm sure we wouldn't be a mile off getting his services. He has improved every team he has been with and while his techniques mightn't be the most modern they seem to be very effective. A good quote came from a Wicklow player recently when he said of O'Dwyer's training methods- "You mighn't see too many cones or poles but you would see a lot of the field runnning around it"

He would bring a revival of interest among panel members and if they couldn't give the commitment to him then there would be absolutely no hope for them.

He will definitley be managing a senior team in 2012 so who are the teams that might attract/want him?

I'm not sure about the Ulster teams, maybe Cavan. Everywhere else could just be too far to travel.

In Connacht Galway will surely be interested as will Sligo if Kevin Walsh goes although Walsh could go directly to the Galway job.

In Leinster the counties could be queueing up for him- Offaly, Carlow (although his stint with Wicklow could rule that out), Westmeath (if they ditch Flanagan and don't appoint Luke Dempsey), Louth or even Meath at a long shot as they seem to have major issues with Banty.

In Munster Tipperary would be his most likely destination.

I'd love to see him with us though.

black and red exile
All Star

I think he would love a crack at the Galway job if offered to him and of course if the carrot is juicy enough, certainly if he was to become Offaly manager in 2012[ and that is a massive IF] then the interest in the county would be sensational with players and supporters alike and could you just imagine the media interest with the history of 82 but I think we would have more chance of affording Alex Ferguson :lol:

clubman
Junior A

Post by clubman »

dont like the idea of micko,to old for the modern game ,has not won a lot since he was with kerry,took over a very young and upcomming laois team who had won a couple of minor all irelands,and managed only one leinster with them.think everyone remembers him from his days with kerry.tom coffey might be considered,young and knows what it takes to win.would probably bring good selectors with him too.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

I think Micko would be an interesting choice, what have we got to lose? A high profile name like that would get a huge response locally, and nationally, even the 1982 game would be thrown in the mix. Maybe some local benefactor might cover the expenses.
Don't think a local manager would work though, if Micko doesn't come through.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Never mind getting Micko...1st thing we need are a few footballers!!!
In fairness to Micko the Wicklow stint was a win win for him...they never needed to win anything...just look competitive!!!
I don't think Micko coming in would rejuvenate Offaly football...he won't change the players mindset which is that they can go out on the beer when they want because that's their right!!
I know that in Laois in the end Micko kind of left a bad taste in their mouths because he carried lads on the panel that had won the Leinster weren't putting in the effort and it meant they lost alot of good young footballers who trained all year and never even got so much as a challenge game!!! Kind of like what Tommy Lyons did with Offaly...he was successful for sure...but lost 7 or 8 good young footballers through mismanagement!!
I think Micko joining Offaly would be an unnecessary distraction for them...because he'd be a bigger story than the team would ever be...if they were anyway successful it would be because of Micko...and if they weren't then it would be because of the players!!!
Get someone in who knows the club scene...knows the limitations of the squad and what needs to be done to improve the team...because over the last few years I never thought that it was more laps of a field that these lads needed to do to improve!!!
The Untouchable