Players off to the states

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
beirut
All Star

Players off to the states

Post by beirut »

I'm hearing some rumors about several players going to the states for the summer, 3 from Tullamore and a few from Kinnitty, any truth to this?

Any other clubs being affected with this?

townblue
Junior A
Club: birr

Re: Players off to the states

Post by townblue »

2.. tullamore , dooley , shane kelly
1 ..shamrocks , molloy . so far but in fairness to the lads money talks . you couldnt blame them for going ,there isnt a lot to keep them here for summer ...........id say there is loads more gone but those 3 are recent enough

faithfulman
Intermediate

Post by faithfulman »

townblue wrote:2.. tullamore , dooley , shane kelly
1 ..shamrocks , molloy . so far but in fairness to the lads money talks . you couldnt blame them for going ,there isnt a lot to keep them here for summer ...........id say there is loads more gone but those 3 are recent enough
AFAIK you can add Cathal Parlon to that list...
He is so bad in goal he needs the net in front of him.

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

Wouldnt blame guys for heading away for work and the experience of living abroad!

If the guys are doing a bit of hurling when they are away how does this effect them to hurl with their clubs when they come home?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Any idea where in the states they are off to??
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Molloy and Dooley in New York. Id imagine Kelly is with them. The three are very pally.

Molloy has been signed up by the Offaly club out there but Shane Dooley has already caused a bit of bad feeling by turning them down to play with Tipp. And yes as Jerry McGuire would say in Shanes case "show me the money".

The way I see it these lads had'nt much luck finding work here so they headed off. I wouldnt be too bothered by it. It is very hard on their clubs alright.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm utterly confused at the idea that there could be bad feeling at a hurler choosing to line out with one New York club over another.

Once upon a time, when people went to New York permanently, then they tended to side with their own county club just to find some of their own, but this is nothing like that, the New York hurling scene is nothing like it was thirty years ago. The name and the jerseys is all very well, but lads go over there for a different experience and to make a few bob - they're not going to be settling in for life. Why in God's name would they have loyalty to one club over another, just because of the name?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Yes I agree LS. I was chatting a lad that hurls with Offaly over there and he was very peed with it. I guess they want the best team they can put together and I think initially it looked that he would hurl with them but Tipp must of offered a little more.

Regarding lads coming back and hurling with their clubs. Id say they are on 60 day sanctions so they cant play for their home club again until 60 days have elapsed since their santion was passed.

Molloy will likely arrive back to relegation battle and the Tullamore lads championship will possibly be over. Tullamore will be safe from relegation but not challenging in the knockouts.

Yes people could say they will be hurling away out there but I know the scene and its pretty poor fair. They will still be a bit rusty.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Obviously if he was playing games and stringing the two clubs along that's a different matter, that would be bad form, but otherwise I can't really understand anyone taking offence.

I'd say 60 day sanctions would be the way all right, but as you say, it's hard to see Tullamore reaching the knockouts without Shane, while I'd reckon that Shamrocks were in bother one way or another, they look rightly banjaxed now. I wouldn't begrudge the lads or anything, they'll give a lot of service to their clubs before their time is up and now is the kind of time when playing in the States is an option, but it is hard on the lads left behind all the same.

There doesn't seem to be the same amount of high profile traffic in the football at all these days, I guess athletic gaelic footballers are just too common, or is that the breaking up of the nonsense that was going on in Chicago every year?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

As far as I'm aware they can play for their club the day they land back in Ireland, the only restriction is that they can't then go back out and play for their American club.

i.e. in the case where Tullamore is the players' registered club.

Tullamore>New York>Tullamore OK
Tullamore>New York>Tullamore>New York not OK (and the suspension would be at every level of the GAA.)
The night is darkest before the dawn

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

TMFF, I think you are right. I am nearly sure there was a change to the ruling.

I know lads that arrived home before the 60 days were up and could not play with their club. But that was a good few years ago now. I am nearly sure something came in that once you arrive home you are entitled to immediately resume with your club. Well spotted.

In New York, I think there are only 3 Senior hurling teams now. Not much of a championship really but it means these teams are doing their best to load up with quality players. Stephen Brown has been playing out there for a while. Is he still there?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Can confirm that it is 3 clubs and has been that way for a little while.

As to Browne, I am away from the scene and do not know if he is up there.

With all those Offaly players up there I may try to go and have a look.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

the big stuff
Junior C

Post by the big stuff »

browne gone to hurl in boston offaly going for 5 in a row hammered galway who in turn hammered tipp dont know how many of the sanctions are here yet though

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

i hear shane dooley has taken a year out from work
Last edited by blue biffo on Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

[quote="Long John"]Yes I agree LS. I was chatting a lad that hurls with Offaly over there and he was very peed with it. I guess they want the best team they can put together and I think initially it looked that he would hurl with them but Tipp must of offered a little more.

from what i heard he was offered a lot more