Rhode 2-10 Shamrocks 0-13

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
OffalyManAway
Senior

Rhode 2-10 Shamrocks 0-13

Post by OffalyManAway »

If the Text message I just received is to be believed, Rhode have just won the county final.

Please, let the reporting by all who bore witness to it begin ..........

As Such Ger
County player

Post by As Such Ger »

seems that everyone is waiting for the expert opinion of Lone Shark before anyone will comment on the match ... missed it myself, so would be interested to here some detail on it, apart from what i read on unison.ie...

go on, whos gonna be brave??

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Rhode werent great but were still the better side.It seemed that they could create scoring chances at any time during the game.Shamrocks will rue a lot of those wides as some of them were very kickable.A draw would have been a very fair result.Niall Mcnamee played fierce well as he seemed well capable of winning almost every ball that went into him.His brother Alan at midfield played well also.Paschal had his moments,notably a super point from about 45 yards and of course the goal. Bannon did well at centre back along with cassidy and cole.Brian Monaghan,Ronan Mooney,Barry Mooney,Neville Coughlan(in patches) and COndron all did well for Shamrocks.

The future is bright,the future is green and gold :shock:

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Sorry folks, busy out last night, I've a chunk of articles being put together slowly, but for now, this'll have to do.....

County final day is unlike any other in the GAA calendar, in that you have a game that means the world to club members of the two clubs involved, but is in fact attended by a crowd that is in the main “neutral”, or that is to say, not affiliated to either side but along for the occasion. However for days like yesterday, there wouldn’t have been too many genuine neutrals in the crowd – unless you had a Rhode connection, it was all too easy to support Shamrocks. One side had twenty county championships, including last year, while the other were still looking for their first. One side would celebrate their county championship by having a good night out, followed by beginning to plan their assault on Leinster – the other would have had a week and more of celebrating in the hostelries of Rahan, Mucklagh and surrounds. It was only natural that the uncommitted within the crowd cheered Shamrocks’ scores that little bit more loudly. Human nature, in particular the Irish variety, can be quite easy to predict that way.

Equally in the aftermath of the game, it can be all too easy focus on the human interest angle. This writer is human after all, as, one would assume, are most of the readers of this newspaper. There are so many aspects that would be easy to dwell on – the heartbreak of a late goal to win, the anguish of a club that came so close to the holy grail and fell just short, the stunning cameo by a minor player who came on to score two of the finest points in the match. However to do any of these things would be very unfair on a very capable and worthy Rhode team, who deserve to be lauded for being the best team in Offaly football currently.

They may have only escaped by the skin of their teeth on Sunday, but that was a game which played out exactly as Shamrocks would have wished it, with Rhode going in front early on through a goal which meant that they were in front throughout, meaning that when Shamrocks did hit a rich vein of form, they tied the game up with only about five minutes remaining and were then the team with momentum. At that stage they looked the more likely team to go on and win the game, and it was a tough situation for Rhode to find themselves in, but like champions, they stepped up and delivered a fine goal to re-assert their superiority.

Coming into the game there was a lot of talk of Shamrocks fine midfield combination, but Alan McNamee once again proved himself to be the premier midfielder in the county with a fine display. Thomas Coughlan played well, and no doubt his day will come, but McNamee put in a man of the match display here that bodes well for Rhode’s Leinster campaign and indeed the county in 2006. There were several other great displays on the Rhode team, not least from Mark Cassidy, Joe Kilmurray and Niall McNamee, and it would be all too easy focus on Shamrocks valiant display in defeat and ignore the good play on the Rhode side.

With the Dublin club championship under serious pressure to finish on time, and Portlaoise struggling to replicate last year’s form in the Laois Championship up to this point, the 2005 Leinster Club Championship looks to be well within the scope of this Rhode team, particularly with the two Malones regaining fitness all the time and last year’s traumatic experience in Tullamore spurring them on. But this too would be to look beyond their win last Sunday, which is unfair on an achievement that deserves recognition in its own right. All too often championships don’t necessarily get won by the best team; this one did, and even if Shamrocks deserve praise and encouragement for a fine display, 2005 will rightly go down as Rhode’s year.

Trib
Junior B

Post by Trib »

Have to say the county final proved a rather uninspiring affair. I expected a good atmosphere as a result of both sets of supporters being on the hill but it never transpired.

The game itself was a bit of an anti-climax to mostly predictable season. Thankfully Rhode's early goal didn't set them on their way to a walk in the park but nonetheless it gave them the cushion whereby they could afford to rely on their long ball into the corners for McNamee and co to gather up.

Even when Shamrocks did get level for the first time with just 2 minutes left in ordinary, I still felt Rhode were going to come down the field and hold out. Mind you, Rhode getting the goal at that stage was the worse possible end for Shamrocks. It was almost as though they were able to reassume the lead when necessary.

Alan McNamee was a tower of strenght (I know it's a cliche but it's an accurate description) at midfield. Fickle and all as it sounds it was a toss up between Alan and Leonard Mooney for man of the match. In the end my vote went for Alan, based to an extent on the fact that Rhode held out for a win. It was a unanimous decision in the end.

While all may be well with the green and gold, I think it's a worrying development for Offaly football. One club dominating the championship doesn't bode well for the county team, no matter how good that club are.

I do hope however that they can make up for last year's disappointment in the Leinster championship. Stephen Darby seemed confident after the match that things would be better this time round, as did Alan McNamee. Here's hoping...

seamroga
Senior

Post by seamroga »

Maybe I'm biased - sorry, I'm definitely biased - but I can't believe 'Trib' saying the final was uninspiring and an anti-climax. Surely the contest deserves a better description that that. What was really uninspiring was Gracefield's effort in last year's final whey they lay down and died, as did Tullamore in this year's semi-final. Shamrocks, unfortunately, got off to a terrible start but never gave up and battled right to the end. If the underdogs coming from behind to draw level and almost sneak ahead in the dying moments - only for a great block-down by a Rhode defender - is an anti-climax, then I obviously don't know anything about football. Fair dues to Rhode, they're the best team in the county. But fair dues to Shamrocks, because last year they were the only team to give Rhode a severe test when they only lost the league final by a point and it was the same last Sunday when they exposed frailities in the Rhode rearguard which I expect will be exposed in Leinster. Hope I'm wrong with that last point, but I don't think so.

As Such Ger
County player

Post by As Such Ger »

dont worry Seamroga, if it was the West Offaly snail racing championships, it would have gone down as the greatest contest to have ever been fought out between two of the fiercest rivals sport has ever know... but seen as there were no reps from that side of the county playing, it instead turns into "a rather uninspiring affair"...

not that that is the fault of the authors of the site of course, i guess its up to the rest of the county to up the internet penetration rates and welcome the digital age with the same enthuasism as our Western brethern

redser
County player

Post by redser »

I thought it was the best county final in years. I must admit i was certain Rhode would walk away with it before hand, Rhode are a quality outfit and this was their 3rd final in a row. They may have got out of jail on the day but it certainly made for entertaining football, fast, tough, close encounter. Lets all get behind the boys for the leinster competition. A number of key players underperformed in the final. Niall Mac has alot more to offer, Pascal was very quiet until he got the goal which shows how great a player he is by plugging away till the end, the full back line are still a weaker area of the team. Best of luck to them in the Leinster.

the bare biffo
All Star

Ronan Mooney

Post by the bare biffo »

Just wondering what sort of form Ronan Mooney is in. Has he anything to offer at county level ?

p.s.

See I've bee promoted to the intermediates. Decent selectors at last.
:lol:

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Much and all as I hate to start dissention in the west Offaly ranks, I quite enjoyed the game, though certainly the atmosphere on the Hill was very muted. How much of that was down to Rhode followers never feeling under pressure I don't know, it could just have been because there were a large amount of neutrals.

Regarding the points raised:

(1) Two in a row is hardly dominating Offaly football. Anyway it's a bit different from last year, when Clara got within eight on a miserable day with low scoring and no-one else could touch Rhode all year long. This year Tullamore got a draw, Ferbane put it up to them even if they were never going to win, and Shamrocks were level with two minutes to go. That's not dominating, and as long as club games in the county are competitive, it'll do no harm if Rhode put another one or two titles along with the last two.

(2) I disagree that the full back line is a weakness. I do think they got one thing wrong - if a side plays only two men inside on them, I think they should leave Darby and Cassidy inside and bring Sullivan out. I rate Shane very highly as a footballer, a bit less highly as a marker. I said in my preview that Leonard Mooney is very hot and cold, that was one of the first days I saw him play well for 60 minutes. Brian Monaghan was bottled up well, and there was a lot of ball coming in due to Rhode having the best midfielder but Shamrocks having three good ones.

(3) Paschal was quiet until he got the goal - yes. This does not show how great he is though, it shows how talented he is - there's a difference. He was largely anonymous, which is a poor sign for a county player in a club match. He really needs to be a lot busier, and stop fancying himself as this all round playmaker - he's good enough to be a star man on that time, and yet he's rarely the guy talked about for man of the match awards etc.

(4) Ronan Mooney is good under a high ball, but is not quick and would need to be a lot fitter to make county standard. If he was willing to put in savage work over the winter I'd certainly give him a look - whether he is or not is up to the man himself though.

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

I thought Ronan Mooney was heading abroad again to continue his studies.

Trib
Junior B

Post by Trib »

I can't believe 'Trib' saying the final was uninspiring and an anti-climax. [/quote]

Ok maybe I was being a bit harsh with the 'anti-climax' bit but to be honest the hill certainly seemed to find the game uninspiring.
With both sets of supporters being confined to one side of the pitch, Shamrocks vying for their first title ever and Rhode attempting to be the first team since 1990 to retain the title I expected a great atmosphere but it never happened.
There was a little bit of jump in volume in the last few minutes as Shamrocks drew level but looking at the game as a whole the fans were very muted.