Offaly Team to face Wexford in Leinster Football Championshi

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Long John
All Star

Re: Offaly Team to face Wexford in Leinster Football Championshi

Post by Long John »

faithfullad wrote:Beat Carlow in a challenge tonight, 3-14 to 1-15. Team was:

1.Meehan, 2.Quinn, 3.S Brady, 4. Pender, 5.Spain, 6.R.Brady 7. N Darby, 8. Dalton, 9.Coughlan, 10. Egan, 11.Deehan, 12. Ryan, 13.Mulhall, 14. Casey, 15. Reynolds

Subs used: Eoin Brennan,Alan Mulhall, Stephen Lonergan, Brian Darby, Brian Kelly, Ciaran McManus, Anton Sullivan, Graham Guilfoyle. Probably were some more but I can't remember. Nearly the whole bench was emptied although McNamee, Allen, Smith or Connor didn't play a minute. Guilfoyle actually played wing back and did well enough, Joe Quinn was good also. Ross Brady was poor, he'll get cleaned out if he plays like that in the championship.

I think Shane Sullivan has left the panel. Brian Connor will miss the championship, he's going to the USA.
That looks like a dreadfully poor team. Half back line is the worst ive seen. Spain is club standard, Ross Brady is terrible, and Niall Darby is a forward. Then Half forward line is equally as weak. Ryan the only decent ball winner there. Egan not good enough, Deehan not a half forward. This team is in big trouble.

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

The team will look stronger with McNamee, Allen, Smith and Mcmanus starting though. Backline is still dodgy.

atomic
Junior A

Post by atomic »

Did Alan Mulhall come on outfield or something

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

Nope, he was the 3rd keeper used.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

here is how i feel itll pan out also put in how i feel it should start
What will start/ what i think is a better option
Mulhall / Meehan
Darby / AN Other someone with pace Donie ryan, or bring back nigel grennan
Scott brady/ Joe quinn
Sean Pender/ same
Quinn / Slattery
Slattery / Brady
Lonergan / Keane
Dalton and Smith/ Connor and smith
Anton sullivan / Anton Sullivan
John Reynolds / Ciaran Mc Manus
Ciaran mcmanus/ Sean Ryan or Guilfoyle if he passed the ball
Allen / Allen
Mcnamee /Mcnamee
Deehan / Deehan

either way, i dont thingk itll make much difference as OY if they win havent a prayer of taking westmeath from what i saw in the league game. miles off the pace and lucky to be in the game near the end such was the difference in quality between the teams. hope im proven wrong
jimbob

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Team for saturday has been announced:

A.Mulhall
B.Darby
S.Brady
S.Pender
S.Lonergan
R.Brady
K.Slattery
R.Dalton
N.Smith
A.Sullivan
S.Ryan
C.McManus
B.Allen
N.Dunne
N.McNamee

:shock: Ah if Wexford are any good they'll win this.Theres a few names there that won't set O'Connor park alight saturday night and thats an understatement.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

A couple of half surprises, but nothing shocking either. There isn't an abundance of stand out players in Offaly at the moment, but there is a reasonable depth to the squad.

There is decent cover on the bench for the forward line and midfield in Coughlan, Deehan, Guilfoyle, Niall Darby. Reynolds, Casey etc. I assume Brian Connor has gone? If a couple of the backs are getting cleaned, options will be limited though.

The forward line lacks a bit of height and physique which might mean less kicking and more carrying. The half forward line will have to put in a big shift in carrying ball.

I expect a 1-13 to 1-11 sort of slugfest as neither team are likely to show much swagger.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

bracknaghboy wrote:
:shock: Ah if Wexford are any good they'll win this.Theres a few names there that won't set O'Connor park alight saturday night and thats an understatement.
My feeling would be that Offaly has spent too long giving chances to lads that have the potential to "set places alight" but all too often ended up falling miserably short. That team is picked to do a particular job and I'd give them a very good chance of doing it myself. Of course there are areas that aren't perfect but that's pretty damn close to how I'd like to see them lining out.

John Reynolds is a bit hard done by imo, but he's always done his best work in the inside line and you couldn't drop Niall or Bernard Allen, and we've always worked best with two inside. Hence the selection - in my view anyway.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Bord na Mona man wrote:I assume Brian Connor has gone?
Brian Connor has gone to America for the Summer.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

What the hell is Scott Brady doing playing at full back.He will be ripped to shreds if the weather is dry, Jason Ryan is no fool and I am sure he will target him with a fast full forward, like Ciaran Lyng.Move him to midfield instead of Dalton and bring Joe Quinn in at full back he played quite well there against Wetmeath when he was brought on, Nigel Dunne is a strange on at full forward aswell, I would have preferred Reynolds instead of him to be honest.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

DAF wrote:What the hell is Scott Brady doing playing at full back.He will be ripped to shreds if the weather is dry, Jason Ryan is no fool and I am sure he will target him with a fast full forward, like Ciaran Lyng.Move him to midfield instead of Dalton and bring Joe Quinn in at full back he played quite well there against Wetmeath when he was brought on, Nigel Dunne is a strange on at full forward aswell, I would have preferred Reynolds instead of him to be honest.
you might be right there but who else in offaly can do a job for us at fullback, Joe Quinn would also be ripped to shreds bye any useful fulforward he is the best of a bad bunch
i suppose. i would fear for that fullback line again wexford Darby will also be in trouble as i think he is to small and wexford will pump hight ball on top of him during the game
its a pity Connor has gone state side as him and smith would have been a good midfield i don't think richie dalton is a midfielder maybe half back.

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

Strange selection. Brady at full back is a bad choice and if he gets roasted he will be made a scapegoat. Quinn would be the better option there. Brady would be far better utilised at midfield to compliment Smiths fielding and athletism. Reynolds hard done by big time, with Nigel Dunne seeming very fortunate. On the whole its not a very confidence inspiring team but hopefully we can use home advantage and get a win.

Real Rob
Junior B
Club: Offaly NYC

Post by Real Rob »

Not a bad Offaly Team really could do with Quinn or Sullivan(left the panel) full Back as Brady was cleaned against Westmeath and just doesn't have the speed but hopefully he plays well,Home advantage should be a good help if strong support turns up I also would have Reynolds playing he has been one of our better players all league, the weather will play a big part as Offaly like it dry and Wexford beat them in poor conditions in the League

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Bord na Mona man wrote:A couple of half surprises, but nothing shocking either. There isn't an abundance of stand out players in Offaly at the moment, but there is a reasonable depth to the squad.

There is decent cover on the bench for the forward line and midfield in Coughlan, Deehan, Guilfoyle, Niall Darby. Reynolds, Casey etc. I assume Brian Connor has gone? If a couple of the backs are getting cleaned, options will be limited though.

The forward line lacks a bit of height and physique which might mean less kicking and more carrying. The half forward line will have to put in a big shift in carrying ball.

I expect a 1-13 to 1-11 sort of slugfest as neither team are likely to show much swagger.
Would be great if we can keep their backs running hard and then spring one or two of the above mentioned. Reynolds especially will be anxious to make an impression on the game if given the chance i would think.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

The big issues for people on here seems to be Brady at 3, and Dunne at 14. however I am not in any way suprised by this.

I agree Scott Brady is not best suited to Full back. I personally think he is a good midfielder that could do a great job beside Smith. He has never been given the chance there so thats not going to happen unfortunately.

Dunne at full forward seems to have agitated a few people. Well for me he is a better footballer than Reynolds. Both have alot in common when it comes to shooting on sight and wouldnt be the most generous players to pass a ball. Look its a big call for Cribben. Dunne has sulked in the past about not getting his chance. Well here it is. As for Reynolds, he hasnt the speed, or strenght for a half forward role and if he's played anywhere it should always be on the inside line. He will appear at some stage but I pray Cribben does not spring him as a half forward.

These two selections are not overly big issues for me. I think Ross Brady at 6 is a disaster however. He is the worst distributor of the ball I have seen at this level. Its a huge problem area having him at 6. These lads might get away with it against Wexford and I hope so but against better opposition it will be curtains.

Interesting call placing Sean Ryan at 11. This could work. He could drag the centre back around and burn him for pace as well. I hope it goes well for him.

On the whole this is a very winnable game. Offaly are poor, but Wexford are a poor outfit as well. Its about time these lads ground out a result and got the win. They should do it.