Offaly v Kilkenny 17-04-11

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Offaly v Kilkenny 17-04-11

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Eight Premier changes

The Tipperary team to play Wexford in Round 7 of the Allianz Hurling league shows eight changes in personnel from the team which defeated Galway.

Brendan Cummins, Eddie Connolly, Paddy Stapleton, Conor O'Mahony, James Woodlock, Noel McGrath, Sean Carey and Michael Heffernan come into the team in place of Darren Gleeson, Michael Cahill, Padraic Maher, John O'Keeffe, Gearoid Ryan, Patrick Maher, Shane Bourke and Lar Corbett.

Tipperary (SH v Wexford): B Cummins; E Connolly, P Curran, P Stapleton; D Young, C O'Mahony, J Coghlan; J Woodlock, S McGrath; B Dunne, N McGrath, S Carey; M Heffernan, P Bourke, J O'Brien.

Taken from Hoganstand!

When I saw this headline first I got a big fright, thinking Tipp had totally weakened the team but to be fair I don't think these changes either strengthen or weaken the Tipp team for Sunday. There are pluses and minuses. Pity Pauric Maher and Lar Corbett won't be playing, they are important to the Tipp team. It is probably a surprise that Shane Bourke who scored 3-04 against Galway isn't given another start. However I've a feeling he got a bit lucky with a score like that and it might not happen again for him-of cousre I could be totally wrong and he could be the next Eoin Kelly/Lar Corbett.
Here's hoping that the Tipp players will be fired up and fighting for places against Wexford on Sunday.

As stated before, I actually think Offaly would have a chance against Kilkenny on Sunday if the players could believe that a win is possible, however I doubt this. The badnews for Offaly is the likely return of Michael Rice and Jackie Tyrell!

townman
All Star

Re: Offaly v Kilkenny 17-04-11

Post by townman »

Shane Bourke is out because he hurt his hand in a club game last weekend still its a strong tipp side
as for offaly against the cat's i will give my opinion on that near the weekend :)

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I still think Offaly are not without hope here, but the defence requires some careful consideration.

David Kenny was given a bit of a run-around by Shane Walsh last time out. The previous day, Kilkenny took on Dublin with a full-forward line of Matthew Ruth, Eddie Brennan and Aidan Fogarty. Richie Hogan, who started on the wing, is also a live alternative for the frontline. Meanwhile, Michael Fennelly is likely to be centre-forward, or maybe Eoin Larkin will be called up.

With such a lively Kilkenny full-forward line, I think Offaly would be better served with a restructured defence. Michael Verney should revert to corner-back, his best position. Stephen Egan and David Franks should fill the other two full-back positions – preferably the cuter Franks on Brennan. Such a match would be made for James Rigney, were he available.

Such a rearrangement would free David Kenny to centre half-back. He would do fine on Fennelly. Or Larkin. Kenny would also, in possession, be better able to ‘open the shoulders’ and drive a long ball to Bergin and Dooley. Fine hurler though Rory Hanniffy is, his preference is to ‘place’ a colleague 30 yards away.

As we saw last year, Offaly’s best chance of scoring is the long ball to Bergin in particular and also to Dooley, who both prefer to hurl from behind to maximise goal chances. Hanniffy needs to stay on his feet when under pressure, a worrying tendency he has developed.

Too many left-sided hurlers restrict options in the Offaly forwards. Sunday will be a massive test for Healion at 11 and Egan at 12. The half-forward line may need to be by-passed and Kenny & Morkan at 6 & 7 respectively is the best route to goal in my view.

Sunday will be an anxious day, moreso if Tipperary and Wexford is close. Hats will be eaten if Wexford win, though on the other hand, Tipperary didn’t have much of an appetite for destruction (uncharacteristically for them) when they came to Tullamore for the final round last year. We’ll know after 20 minutes there. Elsewhere, I expect Waterford to beat Galway and Dublin to break ground by beating Cork and reach the Final!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Very much agree with Plain of the Herbs on Offaly game. Really it is our best chance in years away to KK in league, team positioning is vital for it.
Sunday is going to be an anxious day for us!
Would be good to see Dublin beat Cork and reach final if Galway don't win. But Galway are under fierce pressure to win after Tipp game. So I think Galway will come out on top after tough battle in Wat. Altho that said- Wat have gone well against Gal in recent years-esp in championship-can't remb league meetings between them.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

I'd expect Richie Power to be in the KK full forward line.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

From Irish times:

OFFALY (NHL v Kilkenny): J Dempsey; D Franks, D Kenny, S Egan; M Verney, R Hanniffy. D Morkan; C Mahon, S Wynne; B Carroll, C Egan, D Molloy; C Parlon, J Bergin, S Dooley.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

corner back wrote:From Irish times:

OFFALY (NHL v Kilkenny): J Dempsey; D Franks, D Kenny, S Egan; M Verney, R Hanniffy. D Morkan; C Mahon, S Wynne; B Carroll, C Egan, D Molloy; C Parlon, J Bergin, S Dooley.
Wynne centre field, parlon is back in the forwards that's enough kilkenny bye what ever they like, is Dooley gone mad or what Stephen Wynne is a back
he played him half forward in the first few matches and he was out of his depth how does he think he will make it at centre field.

how many chances has parlon to get he is there since 2005, why wasn't Hayden giving a go at full forward he was one of the top scores in offaly last
year from fullforward. cody couldn't pick a handly game for Jackie Tryell to come back for anyway its sad :x

tipptopper25
Junior A

Post by tipptopper25 »

Diarmaid Kirwan is reffing the game in thurles. It is his first time in charge of a Tipp team since he rode them in 2009. If he rides Tipp again this Sunday Offaly go down. As much as it will kill him to see Tipp win I'm sure he will do his best for Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

tipptopper25 wrote:Diarmaid Kirwan is reffing the game in thurles. It is his first time in charge of a Tipp team since he rode them in 2009. If he rides Tipp again this Sunday Offaly go down. As much as it will kill him to see Tipp win I'm sure he will do his best for Offaly.
now you know how Galway felt in 1989 when Denton rode them out of the 3-in--a-row again tipp :D

tipptopper25
Junior A

Post by tipptopper25 »

townman wrote:
tipptopper25 wrote:Diarmaid Kirwan is reffing the game in thurles. It is his first time in charge of a Tipp team since he rode them in 2009. If he rides Tipp again this Sunday Offaly go down. As much as it will kill him to see Tipp win I'm sure he will do his best for Offaly.
now you know how Galway felt in 1989 when Denton rode them out of the 3-in--a-row again tipp :D
Can you not remember Kirwan senior rode us in 1988.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

tipptopper25 wrote:
townman wrote:
Can you not remember Kirwan senior rode us in 1988.
NO NO thats the year leahy said something nasty to Gerry Mac before the throw in and he hurl leahy and who ever else out of his way
also that was the year Declan Ryan and John Leahy were in the middle of the field crying :cry: after the game that was 1988....
who did you blame for losing the 1987 semil-final i suppose the ref again :roll:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Kilkenny will line out as follows:-
P.J. Ryan; Paul Murphy, Brian Hogan, Jackie Tyrell; Paddy Hogan, John Dalton, Richie Doyle; TJ Reid and Michael Fennelly; James Fitzpatrick, Michael Rice, Eoin Larkin; Mathew Ruth, Eddie Brennan and Richie Hogan.

Source: Kilkenny County board site.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Opportunity here for Offaly.

Kilkenny only have 7 starters from last years All Ireland with only 3 (Ryan, Tyrrell, Larkin) in the same position.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

corner back wrote:Opportunity here for Offaly.

Kilkenny only have 7 starters from last years All Ireland with only 3 (Ryan, Tyrrell, Larkin) in the same position.
The thing is the players that are in Paul Murphy,Paddy Hogan, Matt Ruth, Richie Doyle(Watch this lad the new JJ) are the
best young players that are coming up with schools,minors, under21's all irelands in their pocket's.

add in Jackie Tyrell,John Dalton,Eddie Brennan.Richie Hogan,T J Reid,Cha, and you have a fair hurling team there
hope i am wrong can't see us winning this not with the midfield we have and the few players we are missing.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Kilkenny 1-27 - 1-19 Offaly.
Tipperary 0-17 - 1-14 Wexford.

Offaly relegated to division 2 for 2012.