Transfers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Long John
All Star

Transfers

Post by Long John »

Just heard last night that two Offaly football panelists have put in transfer requests

I wont say the source is the most reliable but non the less its a bit of a concern for both Shamrocks and Gracefield clubs.

One is in college in Athlone IT and has some summer work lined up in Dublin apparently. It smells of desperation to leave his club anyway.
You would have to question the real reason behind this. Maybe to facilitate a move to another club in Offaly next season.

The other case is apparently a move to the Downs in Westmeath. Sounds very strange that the lad would transfer to there from his own club as it wouldnt be a massive effort to remain with his own club and work in Mullingar.

Can anybody confirm these transfers are truth?

As Ive said in an earlier thread these transfers are getting out of hand and the two here are ridiculous.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Transfers

Post by Lone Shark »

Well seeing as Ciarán Kiely has already played a couple of league games for the Downs playing at full forward, I don't think we need worry too much about keeping the cloak of mystique over that one. Safe to assume that's gone through, and as for his reasons, well that's up to Ciarán. Maybe the offer of a job was from a Downs club man who made it contingent on the transfer? Maybe he doesn't have access to a car or the price of insurance/fuel etc. Maybe he has other commitments up there that mean that he doesn't have the free time to be taking four hours out of his evening to go to a ninety minute training session. We don't know, and in the absence of that, it's unfair to speculate on why he's doing what he's doing.

With regard to Nigel Dunne (I mean in fairness, why not say his name or else don't say the club - as Shamrocks have only one county panellist, you weren't exactly leaving much mystery in the situation!!) I hadn't heard anything, but it would be understandable if he had to live and work in Dublin for the summer. It's not easy or cheap getting up and down from as much as 80 or 90 miles away to play ball with your club and particularly when every single time you go for a night out it's scrutinised. He'll be involved with Offaly until July probably, and hopefully later, by which time he'll be entitled to take some time to make a few bob and not have to trek up and down, possibly missing out on working time. Either way, there are a plethora of genuine reasons why he could be doing this, and jumping to the worst possible conclusion is hardly fair.

Work is hard come by and these cases are going to be come more and more common.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Are both players going to train with the county team or will they try play with Dublin and Westmeath respectively? I cant understand how anybody would transfer from their own club and then come home to train with county. That to me is baffling?

Both dont seem to be in Big Tom's plans as both have struggled in the game time they have got.

Surely a job offer wouldnt be based on "come play with us and we'll get you work" as you are getting at in Kielys scenario. Is this the way things are gone?

Its not easy travel I agree but if your looking to transfer to a club two months before you move there, it is a bit questionable? And we're not even talking about a long term job either. I genuinely think there is more to that than meets the eye. Of course that could all be rumour about the transfer but it is something to watch. The character of players must be questioned as well.

If this is the start of it, alot of rural clubs are going to be in bother. All we have to do is look at the likes of Ballyskenach.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

In fairness, Nigel Dunne has got some game time, and has done okay. I would imagine that there is a role for him definitely. Kiely I have no idea to be honest.

Also, I am not suggesting for a minute that the "Work and Play" approach is what happened in Ciarán's case - I have no idea what his motivation is, I was only listing some of the possibilities, all of which would be legitimate excuses if they turned out to be true.

I'd certainly stop way short of saying anything like
Long John wrote:The character of players must be questioned as well.
That's a huge jump.

As regards Ballyskenach, theirs was a completely different situation again. There was an attempt to merge with Killavilla and when the club rejected the proposal, some players interpreted that as a lack of ambition. Now I don't know the ins and outs of that case so I'm not going to take sides, but the point there is that this was the kind of thing that had nothing to do with a trend of players leaving rural clubs, it had nothing to do with the economy and it had nothing to do with players leaving to find work.

Of course rural clubs are going to struggle, as will urban clubs struggle to fill up the same number of teams. Emigration is a real issue and one that we can do nothing about. All we can say is that people need to look after their own where they can and work hard at making sure that everything possible is done, rather than wringing their hands at the inability to turn around the whole economy in a committee room. It's a national tragedy on a load of levels but not one the GAA can solve by itself.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Real Rob
Junior B
Club: Offaly NYC

Post by Real Rob »

Long John your some man, sure Ciaran Kiely is gone off the Offaly Panel three month's so why would he be coming back to Train and of course the Downs offered him a transfer for work agreement, come on now surely with your extensive knowledge of the game you'd know all these things and as for Nigel Dunne sure are you not out Shamrocks way maybe he'd really listen to your opinion on the Issue

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Real Rob wrote:Long John your some man, sure Ciaran Kiely is gone off the Offaly Panel three month's so why would he be coming back to Train and of course the Downs offered him a transfer for work agreement, come on now surely with your extensive knowledge of the game you'd know all these things and as for Nigel Dunne sure are you not out Shamrocks way maybe he'd really listen to your opinion on the Issue
sure kiely came home from the state's in the summer to play with Gracefield and didn't play he went and played Rugby instead
so i am lead to belive :oops:

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Real Rob wrote:Long John your some man, sure Ciaran Kiely is gone off the Offaly Panel three month's so why would he be coming back to Train and of course the Downs offered him a transfer for work agreement, come on now surely with your extensive knowledge of the game you'd know all these things and as for Nigel Dunne sure are you not out Shamrocks way maybe he'd really listen to your opinion on the Issue
Hadnt a clue about Kiely. I assumed he was still on the panel. He will be a loss to Gracefield. A good club that has fallen away badly. Not good to see.

"Train for work agreement", that is ridiculous, its a disgrace if thats the case.

As for young Dunne. Apparently the transfer went through. Shamrocks did not object which I think they should have if only to make a point. He lives at home, goes to College in Athlone and has no connection with Dublin at this present moment so I think it had nothing to substantiate that he was entitled to a transfer. Shur if thats the case any of us living in Offaly should apply to play with a Dublin club. Its total nonsense. He wants an easy move to Pullagh and thats the bottom line. Although the fact they are not likely to win a championship might mean he could try Rhode or Clara.

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

Transfers have been a part of the GAA for a very long time and in years gone by before the advent of fast cars and motorways it was probably even more prevalent that today but probably for very genuine reasons. Everyone knows a School Teacher, Bank Official or Garda that moved into their area sometime in the past and transferred to the local club. Through my own observations only, I would suggest that this practice slowed considerably through the 1990's as many players opted for third level education and this prolonged the link back to the local club. As lads were finding work a little later in life their roots in the club had become more settled and thus they were more reluctant than ever to transfer away and probably committed themselves to a long commute to their club. The rising economic tide assisted this process as every young professional or apprentice had access to a good car etc.

The new reality of the current economy will inevitably lead to more migration and emigration which should see the movement of players between clubs, however what I see as the real threat that is creeping into the game if the loss of the old virtue of "one life one club". In recent times we have seen the wholesale transfer of players from and to an number of clubs all within a 20 mile radius of each other - some across the County Boundary, but none the less this type of transfer goes against the spirit of the GAA. Even in olden days lads were prepared to cycle 20 miles to play with their own club.

Again from my own observation this breakdown in loyalty to home club stems from the growth of Soccer Clubs post Italia 90, where numerous clubs sprang up in many parishes, recruiting lads from all areas regardless of place etc. This has bred young men who feel no loyalty to home area and are quite happy to don another's jersey for the 'craic' or 'to get a game'

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

club125 wrote:This has bred young men who feel no loyalty to home area and are quite happy to don another's jersey for the 'craic' or 'to get a game'
Very well said.

shamrockgael
Junior C
Club: shamrocks

Post by shamrockgael »

nigel has left us and kiely has left gracefield.
in nigels case he was offered a very good job in dublin and signed atwo year work contract, its not just summer work as someone suggested.

Billybob
Junior C
Club: Ballycumber

Post by Billybob »

Shamrockgael I think you'll find its not a 2 year contract job. We all know what the job is and its not what your saying. The lad is in his first year in Athlone IT after changing courses from Maynooth. In fairness its hard enough get work at the moment and I think this summer job will tie him up for a few bob and come September he'll be probably go back to Athlone.

At least poor PJ can take a free now without Nigel crying and trying to pull the ball out of his hands because he wanted to kick it. That is still joked about in Rhode. Whats the bookies odds on who he'll join for next season? Rovers or Clara?

Billybob
Junior C

Post by Billybob »

Shamrock gael I think your painting a brighter picture of this job he has got in Dublin. We all know what it is and the likelihood is he will be back in Athlone IT come September. He has only done one year after leaving his course his in Maynooth.

Its very obvious he wanted out of the club. They have lost so many good players this year and the young lads including Nigel just havent it in them to start showing some leadership. I wouldnt expect anymore from him. Didnt he go off to play a mickey mouse challenge game last year with Offaly when his club were hurling in the championship.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

shamrockgael wrote:nigel has left us and kiely has left gracefield.
in nigels case he was offered a very good job in dublin and signed atwo year work contract, its not just summer work as someone suggested.
He's transferred now alrite. Living in Rahan, apparently playing ball in Dublin. You have to laugh really. Best of luck to him. Great clubman.

shamrockgael
Junior C
Club: shamrocks

Post by shamrockgael »

lads ye havnt a clue what your talking about
i know for a fact its a two year work contract because im married to the woman who is his boss.
its a serious job and he would of bin stupid to turn it down...
is club more important than having a job?
i have bin reading through this website for a while b4 i joined and some ofthe views expressed are laughable...but it does make good debates...i know nigel and the family very well and he isnt this smug selfish person yee make out...he is taking a job to support his family....thank god for lone shark and that he can see sense

Billybob
Junior C

Post by Billybob »

shamrockgael wrote:lads ye havnt a clue what your talking about
i know for a fact its a two year work contract because im married to the woman who is his boss.
its a serious job and he would of bin stupid to turn it down...
is club more important than having a job?
i have bin reading through this website for a while b4 i joined and some ofthe views expressed are laughable...but it does make good debates...i know nigel and the family very well and he isnt this smug selfish person yee make out...he is taking a job to support his family....thank god for lone shark and that he can see sense
A relation of his said its a six month contract, your saying its a two year contract. For the role I find it very strange to believe any contract would be the case. And the link with the current manager of the club he has transferred to??? Very interesting.

Things have got tough in the club with lads that have been bursting themselves for 10 or 12 years retiring and a few emigrated unfortunately. Time for the younger talent to step up to the plate. But this is what you get, a lad that wants the limelight. The club was good enough for him when he was a fringe player on a team making semi finals and finals every year.

A few Pullagh players didnt speak too highly about him the other night either. We cant all be wrong.