Rhode are Flying

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

An average player was not what we saw in the county championship last summer or playing for the county in 2003, when he was playing where he belonged and not in the bizarre role of wing forward. He was absolutely devastating, and hasn't come next, nigh, or near that form since. Perhaps disinterest is the reason, however it looks otherwise to this untrained eye.
Very true- and now think about it- have you seen this happen with other devastating players in both codes over the last few years ? Id say if ya search that (bows) great head of yours, you might find a few more examples of this kind of thing- a new star comes and then .. takes a little while to come back again.

I can't for the life of me find the story where it first broke that he was postponing surgery - it was reported in the national media though.
No me either, but you are correect - it did break, and yes he was diagnosed as a gilmores groin possibility. But urge some caution on that kind of speculation. His performences aint all, or even close to being all down to this.
Hey- if he burns all around him in the Senior final- will he still have the injury or will we be saying he was not marked tightly ?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I've seen players look disinterested - I don't think I'm being unfair when I say Jimmy Paw looked like he'd rather be elsewhere against Brigid's and Gracefield this year - but I do think Niall looks injured as opposed to looking like he's coasting. It's a judgement call though.

If he burns all before him in the final it will prove that the last twelve months have been spectacular underachievement on his part. I don't expect it though.

As Such Ger
County player

Post by As Such Ger »

regarding the Gilmore groin, i had that problem last year and ended up getting the operation for it. (GG is just below the stomach and just off centre) It also began as a GG problem for me and i played on thru it for a while. ended up tearing the musle right up in the groin at the top of the leg called the tendonomity. so this required getting a double operation.

If the GG problem is fairly advanced, then after each match u dont even have power to lift ur leg out of bed the following morning...its a nightmare.

the surgery basically strengthens up the area and recommended program back after surgery is 12 weeks (for both operations) but the tendonomity takes far more time to get right.

and as for speed, that definitely takes longer to return. u can get back to about 70/80% of speed within a few months. but thats not much use if uve got Joe Higgins or similiar up ur arse.

was interesting listening to Mr. McEntee and his theory on why it is becomming more common an injury... mainly down to the type of training people do, and especially the shuttle runs in training out and back to cones, twisting and turning, which he feels are doing serious damage and dont reflect a true match situation...(well it got me out of doing them this year anyway at training)

So, i dont know anything about niall Mcs injury and dont want to comment where i am not informed, but these are the facts about the thing... believe me its a sore dose, and i hope the GG doesnt trigger something else to go, as if it does it will keep him on the sidelines for longer than he thinks.

PS: do u think Man U would make Rooney play on for with such an injury. "Ah sur, we have to try and bate that Murinho lad this year, u'll be grand when it warms up"
Isnt Niall Mac as valuable to us as rooney is to united??

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

PS: do u think Man U would make Rooney play on for with such an injury. "Ah sur, we have to try and bate that Murinho lad this year, u'll be grand when it warms up"
Isnt Niall Mac as valuable to us as rooney is to united??
More valuable- United can but another to replace Rooney- where do we go !

That's why I dont understand/accept that this is not being attended to !. Are they all mad - if he is in trouble - then get him sorted!.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

More valuable- United can but another to replace Rooney- where do we go !
Jaysus those typos - "Buy another"

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Different situation. It's all about the 8 week recovery thing.

Niall McNamee is on several teams, each of which is not unduly concerned about the others. If Wayne Rooney is out for 8 weeks, it's still Man U season when he comes back. If Rhode send him for an operation now, they lose out and Offaly get the benefit. If Offaly send him in February, it hurts the U-21's - if they send him in April it hurts the seniors - and then we're back to Rhode again. That's why he needs it in Autumn - if it does need to be done.

On the other hand we could just all be getting worked up over nothing and this could be his true form, in which case he's barely even county standard. I'd rather not consider that possibility though.

As Such Ger
County player

Post by As Such Ger »

Moving away from an individual case here, i think that this is one of the biggest problems facing GAA and the need to become more professional in attitude (which has nothing to do with cash, btw).

what u are saying about county cships, leinster club, ucd, league, championship really highlights the extent of the Parish pump local attitude that exists still within the GAA.

players are expected to throw themselves from pillar to post to keep all managers and teams happy. the amount of communication that happens between managers is minimal, and u can rest asure that it is not the long term interest of players that most are concerned with.

this is an issue that should be dealt with in the academy that has been set up... teaching players what is best for their bodies, how to recover

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

As Such Ger wrote:this is an issue that should be dealt with in the academy that has been set up... teaching players what is best for their bodies, how to recover
Unfortunately there is an issue there too - if a player was to say that he needed an operation during club season, he'd be accused of having forgotten about the club who would expect him to play on regardless in his limited capacity. Players might know what's best, but that doesn't mean it's an easy option to take.

gaaa head
Junior A

Post by gaaa head »

I would agree with Barracuda in what he said about Niall being lazy. Like to say, Rhode are flying is an overstatement.
Niall on so many occasions must be spoonfed the ball if he has to get a score. You have Paschal and him and Daithi Hope ( who I think K Kilmurray should be looking at ) but you can have all the class forwards in the world but you'll only win or get a score if the ball goes in right to them. And still, there are all guilty of erratic shooting. It will all depend on midfield/backs and thats hit or miss.
Shamrocks have never won a county final , ever. if that isnt motivation to win, I dont know what is. With the Coughlans, Mooneys and a load of fast subs to come on, I think it has all the ingredients for a really good county final.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I would like to point out now that I think Niall McNamee is a class act, the genuine article.

There are two scenarios to look at with this situation:
a) He is not at a 100% fitness and has not been for a long time. If this is the case he must be sent for the surgery and given the required time to recover. Football is a game, a game we all love and are all extremely passionate about. However it is still just a game. Now I don’t know what the long term effects of playing on an injury like GG is, but when he is 35 and finds it hard to get out of bed and will be like that for the rest of his life then I'm sure he'll be wishing someone had enough concern for Niall McNamee the person (rather than Niall McNamee the player) to get it looked after.

b) He has just lost his appetite. This I think is the real problem. He always had a lazy look about him. Nonchalantly getting the ball and kicking it over was his trade mark. However here in lies the problem. I do believe his appetite is gone but it’s because he always looks so lazy that it is hard to tell!!

Although it would be a miracle if he hadn't lost his appetite!! I mean you only have to look at the list of teams he is playing with to see how must football he must be playing. I've been in similar situations, not as severe I must admit. But when you are getting loads of football, in your head you are saying "I'm desperate to win", "desperate to get on the ball" "desperate to do all the right things" and then your on the field and your being pushed out of the way for 50/50 balls you’d normally win, your not getting the breaking ball. Passes are going astray. all these things happen (on a consistent basis) when the appetite is not there. You can think its there, you can wish its there but if your playing too much it just wont.

Now normally to an "average" player, you get dropped, and after a few games on the bench the appetite is right back! Or the season ends and come the start of the new season you’re itching to get back. But for a player of Nialls class, whos season never ends, it takes a brave manager to drop him. I don’t know if I was in the hot seat weather I would or not.

Thats what I think about the whole thing.