Limerick 1-12 Offaly 2-10 NFL 27/02/2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
first_touch
All Star

Re: Limerick vs Offaly

Post by first_touch »

I agree with Bazil. There has been very unfair criticism of Reynolds on this site. It's fine to criticise a player's performance in a game but when there is constant sniping at a player - even when he plays a good game - it's way over the top.

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

Did I criticize Reynolds performance on Sunday? No I didn't you pair of bloody clowns(basilbrush and firsttouch)I actually praised it, which you could see if you could bloody read. I gave an observation on his performance for Offaly over the past few years that he's been on the panel(Because BB seemed to think this good performance vindicates his years of zero contribution). So yeah, take a hike you pair of hyper-sensitive goons.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Well lads. I wont bore ye too much now with this response. I know Brazil Bush doesnt feel I or some other posters should have an opinion if it doesnt match his. But anyway I wont dwell too much on the topic.

Right so BB, he scored 1.2 or whatever it was from play. LS had it 1.1. Makes no difference. Good man Reynolds, got the name on the score sheet, he's done his bit, got the name in the paper, happy days. This is the typical rubbish I hate be it at club level or intercounty, if somebody got a few scores they must of played brilliantly. Wrong, theres alot more to the game.
For starters, he should be scoring against these teams, a team rooted to the bottom of division three.
He has had the college advantage of training through the ban and getting plenty of games. Therefore he should be flying fit.
He couldnt make the Athlone IT college team that were absolutely rubbish.

My gripe with him and id have it with a few others is that he is a me feiner. When he gets a ball he'll always try have a pop himself, get the name in the paper. And for as long as Ive seen him playing football he is the most useless man to fight for the dirty ball for a team but he'll be waving the arms looking for the handy pass around the scoring zone. I have no time for a player like that.

If your happy with a lad knocking over a score and contributing nothing else, fair enough thats your opinion but I expect alot more from players. He needs a good kick up the arse, and the one thing you were right about BB is that I doubt he'd be too worried about what id think. He has annoyed alot more supporters than me. Hopefully he'll start offering something other than the current arrogance he carries.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

To take the footballing aspect of it first, Reynolds scored 1-1 but I would also say he was quite lively all over the field and I certainly would have said that he was one of the better footballers out there on Sunday.

However where is this "arrogance" stuff come from - I'm guessing none of ye know him if that's the case. Would ye be judging this by boots, hair, what?

Unlike a lot of players in Offaly who nobody would dream of accusing of arrogance, Reynolds plays on the team wherever he's asked, he works hard in any position, and if he doesn't get a starting jersey, he doesn't pout or walk off the squad, but instead simply takes his place on the bench and does his best when he comes on.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

In the long grass
Senior

Post by In the long grass »

Reynolds gettin his Offaly T-Shirt, as part of the gear given to him, tailored so its skin tight on him!

This is part of his makeup, the arrogance/vanity people speak of!

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Theres a difference between arrogance and vanity. Some may claim both are part of his make up. All I care about is what he offers when he hits the field.

LS, the arrogance I spoke of has nothing to do with his boots hair etc etc, theres plenty of that craic that goes on everywhere. If he backed it up with honest footballing effort I would have no problem with him. The arrogance is the way he mouths to players in club games and then hiding behind Scott Brady and others. Why does he do this, because he thinks he's this great star of the county. My problem with it, is when I go to an Offaly game I want to support my county but when 9 times out of 10 he would have you driven insane watching him pull out of tackles and waving the arms in the air looking for handy ball.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Long John wrote: My problem with it, is when I go to an Offaly game I want to support my county but when 9 times out of 10 he would have you driven insane watching him pull out of tackles and waving the arms in the air looking for handy ball.
Difference of opinion then. I honestly don't think that when I see him play at all. He can struggle to match big defenders bursting out, but I've never seen him as unwilling to tackle or take a hit myself.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Were any of you thicks that's critisising John Reynolds actually in Newcastlewest on Sunday? NO, didn't think so, LS you are worse to be even getting involved in a discussion with these people, they sit at home on their backsides instead of going to support their county and yet they seem to know it all. WASTERS :x

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

black and red exile wrote:Were any of you thicks that's critisising John Reynolds actually in Newcastlewest on Sunday? NO, didn't think so, LS you are worse to be even getting involved in a discussion with these people, they sit at home on their backsides instead of going to support their county and yet they seem to know it all. WASTERS :x
Well as one of the "Thicks" as you put it BARE, I can say no I was not in Newcastlewest. Nor was I at home sitting on my backside, nor do I think I know it all and as for supporting my county, well in the last 2 years I can say ive missed 3 league games. That makes me and some others here "wasters" does it.

As LS said "difference of opinion". I can handle that, We're all entitled to our opinion. But BARE starts throwing a tantrum when someone has a different view than him.

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

black and red exile wrote:Were any of you thicks that's critisising John Reynolds actually in Newcastlewest on Sunday? NO, didn't think so, LS you are worse to be even getting involved in a discussion with these people, they sit at home on their backsides instead of going to support their county and yet they seem to know it all. WASTERS :x
Yes, I was in Newcastlewest on Sunday, as I was in Tullamore for the first two games, Rhode for the DCU game, Longford for the shield game and Sligo on a Saturday morning for a challenge match.Were you? I've seen way more of the team this year than you have and I'd bet on that. If you actually looked at my post, you' d see it was an opinion with no know-it-all spin so don't start throwing your toys out of the pram when someone has a different view to yours. So don't give me that shite that you self-righteous ''Thick''

joe123
Junior B

Post by joe123 »

Jaysus lads what ye all so worked up for?? John reynolds hasn't played all that bad for offaly over the last few years.
what's all the talk about vanity etc?? none of ye actually know him.. why judge by how tight he wears his jersey or his boots or his hair??
if he plays well for offaly then he can wear lipstick for all I care, what difference does it make!!!!!

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Totally agree Joe123. The problem is IN MY OPINION, he does'nt produce the goods on the field.

Frank Mcguigan
Junior A

Re: Limerick 1-12 Offaly 2-10 NFL 27/02/2011

Post by Frank Mcguigan »

With regards John Reynolds not making the Athlone team im led to believe he had not been with panal for the year as he had not been enrolled in the college for the first semester and had only attended one training session prior to the Carlow match, a match in which he came on at half time and kicked 3 points , so i do not see how people are using that as a stick to beat him with. People on here constantly give out about lads who aint willing to fight for their place or who drop off panals when the going gets tough yet we have a player who has been on the county panal for the best part of a decade and as LS says never causes trouble or sulks when hes droped but merely gets on with things and puts in 100% when called upon. Yet he gets slated on here ! Now every one is entitled to there opinion on a player but do Long John etc forget or just choose not to remember who Offalys top scorer in the league was last year and who scored 1-2 to help us avoid relagation the previous year ? They can claim that these performances come against poor opposition but I hate to break it to yee lads but thats OUR level at the minute and i did nt see to many other knocking up the scores last year.
As for the talk about his selfishness I think his assist for Deehans goal in the county final answers questions on if he cares more about his name in the paper or the teams results. On the issue of his vanity well i dont think anyone can defend him on that account :lol:
I used to think it was great being a wee nippy corner forward, but it's better now being a big, fat one.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Limerick 1-12 Offaly 2-10 NFL 27/02/2011

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Occasionally you come across lads who have made their mind up on a player and don't want to see or hear anything bar what reinforces this perception.
I blame True Red for lobbing in the grenade here!