John McIntyre

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

John McIntyre

Post by Bord na Mona man »

John McIntyre

Rumour has it he'll be taking over the Offaly manager's job. Personally I'd be happy to see him get another go. He was unlucky in 1997 the way fate conspired against him.

The knives were sharpened within the county board for a couple of reasons.
He was heavily criticised for picking a weakened team for a League match against Limerick. This was the year when the league and championship ran concurrently and this match was in the middle of the championship campaign.
Most other counties rightly showed similar contempt for the league and protected their players for upcoming championship games.
Ironically if McIntyre hadn't delivered league wins over Galway (who had hammered us by 21 points the year before) and Tipperary (who to date we've only beaten 5 times in the league) Offaly would never have been in a position to qualify for the knockout stages.

The success of Offaly footballers didn't help McIntyre's standing either.
By winning Leinster under Tommy Lyons, for the first time in 15 years the footballers outperformed the hurlers in the championship.

Against Wexford that year, Fitzhenry's last minute save aside, two giveaway goals from David Hughes buried us. McIntyre acknowledged that he might have put too much emphasis on the league. Also had he been more established, he probably would have picked Stephen Byrne in goal, since Hughes had already demonstrated his critical flaw under the high ball in 1995.

Like so many Offaly managers, he never got to chance to learn and improve from experience. I hope he belatedly gets a second crack at it.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

McIntyre

Post by Lone Shark »

Twill be announced tomorrow morning anyway, so I'd say we'll know by then.

Having dealt with him a little bit in a previous job, he's a very intelligent analytical man, and in that sense could do good things for us. As you say, he'll have even more managerial experience behind him, and all in all would constitute a good choice in my eyes.

Many a slip twixt cup and lip though. .....

Loughers
All Star

Selectors

Post by Loughers »

Any word of selectors? I heard a few old names being trotted out over the weekend. Why not get some of the new guard, like Daithi or Deckie P involved? Paddy Delaney et al have had their go.

Flatcap
Intermediate

re

Post by Flatcap »

havent heard anything about selectors either. id say pilkington might still be someone the county board wouldn't be a huge fan of after the way he left the county panel, though as far as im aware mcintyre will be allowed take who he wants. seeing as he's been in charge of the under 21s for a while hed at least have an idea as to the standard of most of the younger hurlers in the county.

Treasurer
All Star

Selectors

Post by Treasurer »

Joe Dooley's name also being bandied about.

They wanted Mcintyre to take U-21 and senior, or at the very least have some kind of common link between the two outfits, so Pilkington would fit that requirement (assuming he's staying with the 21's?).