Favourite club ground

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
alltheway
Intermediate

Re: Favourite club ground

Post by alltheway »

Stupid night shifts in work always have me posting late, great reviews so ill copy ur template!
All from what iv played in mainly, or seen..

1: Geashill - experiences both ends of the spectrum.
2: Cappincur - Very short field, often seen sidelines scored in football, i remember a kk v edenderry minor match few years back, some great line balls..
3: Walsh Island - grass often very high, and sometimes in the good weather a good few divets, hard on the ankles...
4: Ballinagar - an absolute bog!
5: Killeigh - always liked it, good surface
6: OConnor Pk - quality pitch nowadays, would be class playing intercounty to a full house, up the atmosphere
7: O Brian park: one of the best in autumn/winter for facitilies and field quality at those times
7: Croghan - not too familiar as rare enough i get to matches there
8: Daingean: again not too familiar but needs work, hard done in small club to upgrade, not there fault, co board should be helping smaller clubs develop
9: Rhode: facilities to cater for success makes surface all the better, well catered
10: Edenderry: lethal, especially for hurling as grass is way too high, leads to very little skills being shown and a lot of mullocking..
11: Clonbullogue: a standard rural field, suited to the winter nights slog
12: Clonmore: never been
13: gracefield: one of the better ones
14: killurin: very fond of killuirn, super surface, pity its not more centrally located for both hurling and football games, excellent pitch
15: Durrow: not a patch on killuirn :)
16: Ballinamere: needs improving in terms of ballstoppers etc, great lights but pitch not as good, probably wear and tear
17: Clara: always an atmosphere there
18: Kilcormac: great in the sun, dour in the rain
19: mountbolus: if a few more of the stones were dug up could be quality, fierce hard on a summers day
20: Ballycumber: Grand, could do with a good rolling but is well layed out.
21:Pullogh: Not for me, especially the far end
22: ferbane:like kilcormac for me.
23: Doon: all the gems are hidden far away.
24: moystown: Great hurling field, great for a sunny saturday even ( yes but very little grass i always found for some reason, great field though)
25: Shannonbridge: very bumpy and always needs a good cutting of the grass
26: Banagher: superb facilites, although i think they destroyed the field with the goalmouths, dosent look nor feel right
27: Birr: reserved at present till an august champioship day to relive the glory days
28: crinkle: Tnot as bad as some hink, wide open field, good surface, needs maintaining
29: Kinnity: even though it was boggy, always preferred lower field, high one too open with the woods, rock hard too, like mt bolus
30: Rath: easily, from a hurling point of view from many who play the best surface around, double headers and atmosphere always great and well marshalled
31: Carrig: not bad wither, great surface too..
32: Colderry:again like kinnity, old field very boggy, but the new field much better than kinnitys
33: Shinrone: grounds need work, but improvements o field are obvious, lovely surface now, and super stand, should get a lot more games than it does
D Corner Flag
Senior

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

To D corner Flag,

Thats some compilation you have there. You're either the countrys most dedicated dual player or just an extremely avid fan of the club GAA scene in Offaly. For one to have played in both Carrig & Clonmore, personally I'd say there's very few others who have done that.

Anyway, speaking of Clonmore. I have to completely disagree with you. That place i a nightmare. Middle of nowhere, terrrible surface (when u can see it though the long grass), small dressing rooms, a hill and that deathtrap drain/river at the far end that any half decently kicked ball for a point finds its way into. Its a terrible venue. And for Fargo Boyles point about atmosphere and that, I was never really at a big enough game there to sample the atmosphere although from what I've seen at matches of less importance is that the home players, officials, supportere & any local who happens to be wandering by on their way to Rhode (or wherever) will give ya dogs abuse during a game. Although I suppose that can happen anywhere.

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

Clonmore is probably the worst pitch in the county in terms of facilites and the quality of the pitch. But it is a bit like English soccer teams going over to play a Turkish team like Galatasary - welcome to hell, as the local support is usually fairly vocal.

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Well lads yee will have tocome over in the summer and sample Clonbullogues new pitch. You wont be complaining about it then :D
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

Bazil Brush
Junior A

Re: Club Championship Draw

Post by Bazil Brush »

I don't know how anyone can be critical of crinkles field its one of the best in the county surface like a carpet and very level. Terracing all down one side.Nice clean dressing rooms and good parking facilities. Im sure anyone whos hurled on it will agree.

Harps Man
Junior A

Post by Harps Man »

jaysus lads if think our pitch is bad yez should have seen the state of it yesterday after all the rain sat night!! look i know our grounds would'nt be brilliant but we'r a young club and as they say rome was'nt built in a day,and as yez also know getn money to improve the grounds and facilities is'nt easy but we are try'n.
as for the supporters officials and players at games giveing dogs abuse,i dont think ive been to any games in my life where i didnt hear people from both sides doing this,anyway what is the problem with it,does it not just go to show the passion that the people of clonmore have for their club?