Pure Mule - Rynaghs on the map!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

A couple of the accents were passable, others were poor.
That mingataur, who was servicing the priest in the Magdelane Sisters, put on a terrible tinker accent!
They must have mistakenly given her a Tuam linguaphone kit instead of the Tullamore one.

Dialogue wasn't too bad, but the script was a little thin...which is common enough in first episodes.
Will give it a couple of weeks before judging.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Its definitely not Edenderry anyway.

Thought yer man "Seamie" had the accent spot on.Really reminded of the way a few people around tullamore talk.

Boggerette
Junior C

Post by Boggerette »

Lone Shark wrote: Based on a limited sample size, my experience would be flee. "Run" doesn't really convey the urgency of the situation. Flee.
I suppose you're one of those feeble ferbane fellas then ? Us Banager girls prefer our guys MANLY !!!!

But shame you lucked out there Lone Shark... :(

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Yep, that was definatly Banager alright!! not sure about "McKeons" pub but everthing else is all there. Lyons is a landmark, as is the finest chips in Offaly, Angelos!! They didnt show much else of the town, but the building site is Cill Bán, situated on Collins Lane in Tullamore. as for the accents, most were pin perfect, but some sounded like a dubliner attempting an offaly accent. all in all, great show, would make you wanna watch the next one. its about time RTE shown an irish drama for a young irish audience!!!

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I knew i recognised Angelos alright. Couldn't pin it down.

As for the accents, I thought they were shocking apart from Shamie, Scobie and the Mother. The horse-face young one sounds like a pure sham, as BnM man said.

So if it's Banagher, what's with all the Dubs?

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

azoffaly wrote:So if it's Banagher, what's with all the Dubs?
The main lassie from Dublin was down in Banagher trying to cope with the breakup from her man - I know if I was heartbroken, Banagher is the first place I'd head to ! :D

After my many nights in cloghan discos, how did it escape me that the ladies in Banagher are, how shall I put it, so free and easy! :roll:

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Boggerette wrote:
Lone Shark wrote: Based on a limited sample size, my experience would be flee. "Run" doesn't really convey the urgency of the situation. Flee.
I suppose you're one of those feeble ferbane fellas then ? Us Banager girls prefer our guys MANLY !!!!

But shame you lucked out there Lone Shark... :(

Two Banagher women (very!!) briefly crossed the path of the Lone Shark in recent years. One was the daughter of a well known head-the-ball from deep within the hurling community who considered us a happy couple after our first meeting. I'd say Dad would have been wielding the shotgun in no time.

The other was anti-Birr to the point where on hearing news that one of the Birr players had become a monorchid due to an accident (look it up if it's not obvious!!) she displayed great glee. Again I felt that leaving this woman scorned at some stage in the future would not be condusive to maintaining my own well-being.

I say again - flee - the only course of action when faced with these creatures. If throwing life and limb into the melting pot is what it takes to be manly, I'll live with the shame. :roll:
Last edited by Lone Shark on Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

I wonder does this mean Banagher will become the new Killkenny/Carlow/Bettystown?

I wonder where the nightclub scenes were shot, didn't look like Melba's anyway 8)

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Doon Massive wrote:I wonder where the nightclub scenes were shot, didn't look like Melba's anyway 8)
No cans on the floor then?

sparklin
Intermediate

Post by sparklin »

The Niteclub looked a lot like Club S in Moate, however, being absolutely buckled every time i visit the place i couldn't be too sure!

Biff O'Mahon
Intermediate

Post by Biff O'Mahon »

Boggerette wrote:
Biff O'Mahon wrote:eaten for breakfast by one of them mad wimmen from Banagher :twisted:
:evil: Just whats your problem with Banagher girls?? :evil:

Have you had some bad experience there? Not able to handle a real woman? Feel a bit intimidated by us there Biff? Maybe you should get out more - some of us are really quite sweet you know, would even be gentle with you :wink:
Humblest apologies there Boggerette. It was a most unfortunate comment on my part :oops:
Unfortunate that is that there would be lovely ladies from Banagher lurking the site.

On mature reflection.... I know a guy that was 'man-enough' to marry a Banagher girl. Haven't seen him in quite a while mind you (and come to think of it, he did appear a bit emaciated last time I saw him)... :? ...and she did seem sweet at first too....

** sound of runners sqealing on kitchen floor **

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I'd have to agree with Doon Massive on this one. I thought the mannerisims and the words they were using were right. But some of them just couldn't do the accent. Forced it too much I thought, especially the one thats married to the "Bomber" (looking forward to seeing why he is called that btw).

It was all filmed in Banagher apart from the club scenes which were Silvers in Moate.

I thought it was pretty good, funny in places but like BNM Man says you have to give it a few weeks before you can get attached to the characters.

Incidently I am looking forward to goin back to college and putting on an extremely thick Offaly accent and seeing if this publicity is gonna do me any favours!!

P.S. Banagher women are mad! Nice but Mad!

Boggerette
Junior C

Post by Boggerette »

Biff O'Mahon wrote: ** sound of runners sqealing on kitchen floor **
WUSS.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Boggerette wrote:
WUSS.
** sound of rolling pin being tapped repeatedly on palm **

Boggerette
Junior C

Post by Boggerette »

Lone Shark wrote:
Boggerette wrote:
WUSS.
** sound of rolling pin being tapped repeatedly on palm **
LOL!

You pair obviously think you're funny... you're both probably the nerdy type, I bet neither of you would know what to do with a sliotar if you ever got your hands on one!
Oh well, I did try to be nice, but you just wanted to hurt my feelings .
:cry:

** reaches for tissues **